• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Worries with my Rubber

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jager_SA

Cubicle Jockey
Jan 22, 2007
Hey guys I just saved up the bucks and bought a 1.1 Railgun from Rob Allen. Im pretty stoked with it and I cant believe the accuracy it has... Nice. But I am really struggling to load it and it takes up to 3 tries to get it cos I have to really give it a MACHINE pulling. I was wondering if this has anything to do with the 20mm rubber being new (and whether I should stretch it out- if this is even possible), as my last gun was a hand my down from my older brother. Thanks alot :t

It's a question of technic and pratice. With my 1.2 i felt the same difficulties. make sure you do the correct loading technic (it's on rob allen site i gues and in lots of others) and make a strong and fast pull.

My 1.2 RA came rigged with 20mm extremely (excessively?) hard rubbers on it. The pull was so hard that the gun butt slipped on my chest and my wetsuit was in danger. I changed for different 20mm rubbers and had no problems since.
If you're sure about your technique, you may try different rubbers and see how it goes.
Good luck.

hey yeah thanks alot, ive been so used to giving it an even pull, i didnt think about just giving it an almighty quick heave. I've been checking the sites and i am doing it tigh i just think maybe a few more days in the gym will give me the power i need to pull it quick. thanks alot! DB is always so heplfull

any other recommendations would be great as I cant wait to get this bad boy ripping! thanks again :)

I have a picasso suit now and the loading pad helps alot. I was trying to flaunt the hard core image to my boeit with no shirt on and he just laughed at me all day! haha but yeah. I find its not a question of pain on my chest, but more just getting the rubbers into the notch. I get about 5cm away and then its overs cadovers in my arms and it just wont go any further. You dont think the rubber actually stretches after a lot of pulling? Cos these things stand in the shop and dry out, so surely they become tougher? Oh and i read other threads of guys using two notches- i dont have that on my RA and I dont think its such a good idea- i would fear the slipping of the but and my mask making a nice cracking on the spear tip.

see the thing is gym is my life and i pride myself on bein stronger than most guys my age and weight and now I cant load this gun! Im sure it must be technique... thanks alot guys ill be in the pool practicing in about 10min!

Man be careful about trying to pull a heavy band back too fast. You can tear out a shoulder, tweak your back, or do any number of serious injuries to yourself. I'd seriously look at either going to a longer band, or two thinner bands. If you're having this much trouble in controled conditions, you could have a major problem when you've missed a shot and that trophy fish is in front of you while you frantically try to reload for a second shot. Just not worth it...
Ron.

Hiya

As said earlier, its 90% technique and 10% strength. When i started out, i BATTLED to load my 90cm gun with a single 20mm. How-ever, now i load my 1500 RA and 67" wooden gun with the greatest of ease.

Some hints:
USE GLOVES!!!
Loading the gun is easier under water.
The rubber WILL become softer after some use.
If you're really battling, ask your local dive shop to put in another notch in your spear. This acts as a loading notch, allowing you to put the wishbone in it, then, from there, getting the wishbone to the back notch.
Another alternative is to get a slightly longer rubber and then, as you become accustomed to it, shorten the bands.

Hope that helps!!

Regards
miles

Reactions: spaghetti
Hiya

As said earlier, its 90% technique and 10% strength. When i started out, i BATTLED to load my 90cm gun with a single 20mm. How-ever, now i load my 1500 RA and 67" wooden gun with the greatest of ease.

Some hints:
USE GLOVES!!!
Loading the gun is easier under water.
The rubber WILL become softer after some use.
If you're really battling, ask your local dive shop to put in another notch in your spear. This acts as a loading notch, allowing you to put the wishbone in it, then, from there, getting the wishbone to the back notch.
Another alternative is to get a slightly longer rubber and then, as you become accustomed to it, shorten the bands.

Hope that helps!!

Regards
miles

As always, Miles said it perfectly. :)

Reactions: spaghetti
i also got a 16mm band for my 1.2 to get some confidence (and get to shoot some fish) and then went back for the 20mm. once your used to the 20mm i wont wanna go back. i have a 1.4 on it's way (rabitech apex carbon with open muzzle)

One more tip.
In the last 5-10 cm of the stretch try to push with your body instead of pulling with the arms. As Miles say it is 90% technique. I'm far from strong in the arms and I find it very easy to load even 120 cm RA with 20mm band this way.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT