• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Worst static blackout ever seen !!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

maros

the deeper, the better..
Jan 27, 2003
You can see it on the video on our webpage www.freediving.sk in GALLERY section you can find VIDEO GALLERY and download this quite short file named "ERIKOV BLACK-OUT PRI STATIKE". This happened on december last year on Slovak National Championship 2003. This guy collapsed at time 4:06mins, he is doing 5:00 and more normally, but this time... Have you seen worse blackout than this ?

Reactions: DeepThought
Very good clip (excuse me!) if one wants to know what a blackout is, thanks for posting. It looks awful because Erik turns incredibly blue and the eyes are discustingly dead. It's also good cause you can see how quickly the diver comes back when the safety diver blows him in the face (are they shouting 'blow him in the face' in the background?); I'd educate safety divers from footage like this.

It's not the worst blackout I've ever seen, though; Hubert Maier (Germany) suffered a terrible blackout during the Ibiza world champs in 2001, when he cramped up in the legs going up from 70m constant (not fun!). He swam with his arms most of the way up until he blacked out some 5m from the surface. The safety diver gets him to the boat blacked out, and the doctor has to pry his mouth open with a plastic tube where after he starts to breathe again. A few seconds after that, this weird mix of blood (probably from the sinuses) and spit comes out of his mouth and runs down his neck. Absolutely awful to watch, being a fellow freediver. Even though Hubert a few moments later is walking around on the boat, perfectly recovered.

I have the video footage on a Swedish copyrighted freediving documentary (Pal VHS), so it's not online, I'm sorry.

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

This video is only a mild blackout. I've seen people out for 3 minutes in the same twitching glazed over state. It is much more disturbing when the attempts at artificial respiration are failing because the laryngospasm won't let go; everyone is screaming and shouting in fear that the diver won't wake up; etc...

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Any blackout is one too much, I think.
The one on the website is indeed a "classic" example, and it's now on my HD allong with the outher NICE video's!

The BO you discribe Chris is really ugly, :(
But it's nice to hear that a few minutes later everything was ok!

I downloaded the clip but can't seem to play it.

When I open the file, mediaplayer starts and tries to play it, but it plays only sound, no video (even after it has updated itself with a new codec). I then installed Divx5 and tried to play it with another player. Failed again.

What do I need to view the video?
It is classified as an *.avi file.

I'm in the same situación that tommy. Some ciber-help!!!!!!

Hm, at least some of you guys even got to it. I'm just drawing a blank "Cannot find server" page.

Why is it that I cannot even open the main site? The page is coming up as if it doesn't exist...

That safety diver was really scared. He didn't know what to do so guys in the background were shouting "blow him in the face."
Sorry for Slovak language but we are planning to run English version in the future. Not the hole web, just some parts.

Originally posted by maros
You can see it on the video on our webpage www.freediving.sk in GALLERY section you can find VIDEO GALLERY and download this quite short file named "ERIKOV BLACK-OUT PRI STATIKE". This happened on december last year on Slovak National Championship 2003. This guy collapsed at time 4:06mins, he is doing 5:00 and more normally, but this time... Have you seen worse blackout than this ?

Interesting video.
How come he blacked out after 4 mins when he can do 5+ on other days?

Would also have been interesting to know how the blackout started.

blackout

Unfortunatelly we do not have filmed the beginning of this blackout, when people started shouting the camera guy turned from the athlete doing static under him and filmed this blackout.

The second question: I think Erik was not in good physical condition at Championship, he was still cold and after illness, I think this circumstances caused blackout after 4:06 mins. This happened in December 20th 2003, on January 24th 2004 he started on open Chapmpionship in Hungary and did his over 5mins performance without hesitating.

Originally posted by chojan
FreeFloat -- Try clearing your cache in Internet Explorer and trying again. Select: Tools -> Internet Options -> Delete Files...

http://www.freediving.sk/video/

Hopefully that will work.

Sorry, no dice. Nothing I've tried seems to help - I even deleted all my cookies, reset my security settings one default level lower, etc.

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to e-mail the video to me? My e-mail as listed in my profile can halndle the larger attachments...

Freefloat,

I tried to send you the video to the email you have specified on your homepage. I could not find an email adress in your profile. However, the upload failed. Maybe you are using a free hotmail account? In that case it is limited to a max of 2 MB (for incoming mail). The video is 2,7 MB.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT