• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

wow!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pinoycatfish

Aug 7, 2008
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgRpwESWPLM]YouTube - Sea Bed Hunting On One Breath - Human Planet: Oceans, preview - BBC One[/ame]
fellow spearos i saw this great video last night. if anyone know any videos similar to this please post the url. thanx hope you all enjoy the video. this video also shows us that it`s not the arrow but the indian. :)

great video. how does he equalize his goggles?

@azapa, that i don`t know. here in the Philippines most divers wear goggles. a asked a local diver how he deals with the pressure he said that by pinching his nose(valsava) he equalizes his ears and his goggles. air passes trough his tear ducts that equalizes his goggles i`m not 100% sure if it is true. i own one pair of wooden goggles and have used it the only way i can see clearly past 10 feet is by closing one eye. :)

Reactions: foxfish
I wonder why he walks over to the fish?

Not very stealthy. His methods contradict everything "orthodox" in UW hunting technique as we know it, but at the end of the day a fish is caught so what we do talk for? Horses for courses. And for sure the guy has a superb aquaticity. He's beyond human. In one word: WOW!

Re walking underwater: reminds to me of this amazing italian navy raiders pic (and you can be sure they know right what they're doing):

Attachments

• comsubin.jpg
    comsubin.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 207
I would not mind giving him some gear.
If anyone of deeperblue members ever goes that way, can certainly quote me back what I have just said.

there`s another vid on youtube (wooden goggles) the guy compared speedo gogggles and wooden one and he can go deeper with the wooden goggles. @devondave next time i go out (too cold right now) i will try your close eyes and equalize technique. i can`t break my minute and a half bottom time and sometimes less(????) the guy in the video can stay up to five as narrated. :)

Pinoycatfish,

Amazing video! I have dived with our local freedivers in Coron, Palawan and have observed them going to incredible depths (at least in my view) and I was using scuba during those dives. Even my boat crew will accompany me down to 40-50 feet when I am spearfishing. Thanks for sharing this video.

PS

@Pinoy Sniper you`re welcome. i`m always on the hunt for videos like that. i`m still trying to save money for an underwater cam (prefferably cheap) to document local freedivers here in Camarines Sur. i have friends who can go down to depths of up to 90 feet or something. one of them can even go deeper (R.I.P.) alcohol is the culprit. they do it using homemade gear from mask to fins to dive fins (yapak: local fins made of plywood) will soon post gear they use, too cold to dive here right now. take care everybody :)

Reactions: trux and azapa
would live to see that local gear!! please take some pictures of each piece pf equipment and post. It's an important task documenting these techniques before they modernize too much.

hi all

im from the Philippines too. i happen to come across this local spearo while freediving one day and take a few snap shots of his gear...:)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
. i`m still trying to save money for an underwater cam (prefferably cheap) to document local freedivers here in Camarines Sur. :)

i suggest getting a cheap plastic pouch to put your handy cam in(thus making it waterproof)...its very cheap compared to camera housings that are only good for one camera... try googling dicapac. thats the one i used to take these photos.. :)

Jer

Reactions: azapa
not a bad stringer of fish. Do you have any shots of the speargun? it looks like the bands are made of layers of tire inner tube rubber. I wonder if there is a local artesanal maker of these guns or if each diver makes his own?

not a bad stringer of fish. Do you have any shots of the speargun? it looks like the bands are made of layers of tire inner tube rubber. I wonder if there is a local artesanal maker of these guns or if each diver makes his own?

thats the best shots i have...as for the bands, you are actually right!...in the fishing village near this area, most fishermen know how to make their own gun, but the real veterans are the village elders, its usually the case with rural fishing villages allover the country...the guns cost P600 about $13
and a friend said that was overpriced...:)

Jer

jeremy,

thanx for suggesting the pouch thingy. still too cold to go out right now. hopefully next week i will be able to post more pictures. take care :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT