• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

wow!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
thats the best shots i have...as for the bands, you are actually right!...in the fishing village near this area, most fishermen know how to make their own gun, but the real veterans are the village elders, its usually the case with rural fishing villages allover the country...the guns cost P600 about $13
and a friend said that was overpriced...:)

Jer

ooooohhh, thanks for the info. I would so like to own one of those guns, especially at that price!

This guys diving abilty was not quite as good as the one you posted and this was not one of his better dives. I just shot this quick vid to capture the gun and fins etc he used.

thanx for sharing poacher.

last night i`m trying to upload pictures but to no avail... will try again tonight.
Trux, the picture i`m trying to upload have speargun (thumb trigger) and goggles(wooden) plus a very short speargun we use for very low visibility(8 inches to 15 inches vis) take a look at the water on my avatar.. still no picture of plywood fins maybe next week. take care all. :)

Baisfins.jpg

btw. I can do the tear duct thing but only on one eye so that would be pretty much useless unless the goggles were interconnected

but 5 minutes? that is insane

and another thing that buggs me in the video (not saying it's fake but I want to know how that works) is that he takes a deep breath and it seems like he's negatively bouyant almost at the surface? I mean he's all bone and muscle, but is that such a big deal?

and another thing that buggs me in the video (not saying it's fake but I want to know how that works) is that he takes a deep breath and it seems like he's negatively bouyant almost at the surface?
He actually does not take any deep breath. Although you cannot see him on this video just prior the immersion, there is a close up during his surfacing, and it is very evident that he dives on empty lungs - the first he does is inhaling, not exhaling! And there are no bubbles coming up before his surfacing, so he did not exhale the air close to the surface. He must have learned diving at Sebastian Murat! :)

those fins are very cool and you can totaly see how they are made: old plastic (looks like from a plastic drum), cut up car inner tubes and rivets. Light, neutrally buoyant (ish) and free ;)

not a bad stringer of fish. Do you have any shots of the speargun? it looks like the bands are made of layers of tire inner tube rubber. I wonder if there is a local artesanal maker of these guns or if each diver makes his own?

Gilbert Gacula has some fun pictures on his web sight.. . Have to click on "gun gallery" and then "old guns"

FRAMES_INDEX

SDC17653.jpg

SDC17666.jpg

SDC17658.jpg

SDC17713.jpg

finally... with the help of my niece some pictures of thumb trigger guns we use here. @ trux sorry still don`t have pictures of the fins. it`s been raining here for two weeks now (march with rains????) will post pictures of fins next.... good day to all :)

Reactions: Kars
The should sent you a decent waterproof camera and surface cam and have you make a documentary out of this.

I would love to see how these guns are made, used, how the divers dive and live. What the history is, etc. I imagine it could be a cool way of living.

holly slip-tips batman, that stuff is cool. Thanks so much for publishing those pictures. I agree with Kars, this should be properly documented.

There is something so cool about, from necessity I'm sure, fashioning your hunting gear from the things you can obtain around a local, rural environment.

thanx too guys... it`s raining here now and vis is not so good. it`s been three weeks i think since our last dive. i`ve taken carp with my little speargun and sliptip set up. carp here don`t grow big like yours and i`ve taken three eels from two to three and a half kilos with it. here we make do of what we have those rubbers you use are too pricey here about a dollar an inch (i`m not kidding) i will post more pictures soon... i made some mask out of innertubes and give them as gifts to friends. i also have a eurogun 110 i made and my mask is made by gull from japan. hoping to post those plywood fins soon.. @ kars, azapa i`ll try my best to document our local freedivers here. take care all :)

btw how do you make the pictures small??? thanx in advance the pictures we uploaded are too big i think. :)

You can use microsoft "paint", that is on any windows system.

Load the picture into "Paint".
Edit -> select all (control + A)
Image -> Stretch (control + W)
Feed in percentage, 50 means image will be 1/2 the original size.
Than safe the image as JPEG with a slightly different filename, such as "Picture_small.jpg"

More advanced programs let you have more control over the resizing.
Personally I still find Paint Shop Pro 7 easy and adequate for my photo editing. - and it's just a solid 40 MB program :) consider that in the time of Giga en Terra bytes...

Last edited:
Pinoycatfish,

I have a very old (and I mean very old!) camera casing here that is just lying around as a conversation piece in my man cave. I did some research on it through the internet and can't find anyone who can service it as the company seems to have closed a long time ago. Maybe you can convert it into something usable. You are welcome to it. Send me a PM if you are interested.

IMG00136-20120122-1711.jpg

Pinoy Sniper

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT