• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wrist mounted vs Gauge mounted compass

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

drunkinbda

The boys are back in town
Jul 11, 2004
This is just a quick question regarding compasses. Im just wondering whether people prefer to have their compass mounted with their gauges, or to have it on their wrist?

I dont know which to go for. I would like to compass to be with the gauges, becuase they are all together so thats one less thing to remember and bring around. On the otherhand i like the fact that i can just fit gauges without a comapss into my BC pocket to keep it out of the way, and also if it broke, would it be more expensive to fix since it is part of the gauge (or can it be simply popped off)?

Thanks

Sir, If you want to be a well engineered diver, Rec, or tec. you would use a wrist mounted compass. It is easier to use, you don't have to go through all that stroke stuff of pulling it,holding it in front of you trying to put it where it doesn't become a danglie, etc! With it on your wrist, its a natural movement to your front as you are moving through the water.The important thing about diving is being streamlined as you move and and not to be restraint with all that convuluted crap you are told by strokes that you need.Go to gue.com and really learn how to become a better diver. ''DIR'', (DOING IT RIGHT) is what you want.There is a slight arrogance with us, but , right is right and there is no reason to do any form of diving less than perfect.

Yours in diving

Capt. Tom Yerian

excellent. I was hoping that that would be the general gist of the replies. Even better that its part of a system for better diving. Thanks!!!!

You are welcome sir.Feel free to email me at any time with questions you may have about technicaL aspects on diving.
YID./CAPT. TOM YERIAN

Go wrist, and check out the GUE site to learn about gear rigging.

Jon

I was responding to diver who asked about wm compass. I referred him to gue site already. You have a good day.

YID/ Capt Tom Yerian

Wrist mounting works well, just be carefull if your going after bugs...jamming an expensive computer into a hole trying to grab a lobster may not be a very good idea. Have fun

haha..yeah that would def suck. Dont have to deal with that hear cause we can't use breathing devices while lobster hunting...but if so i def would be focusing on the bug instead of what my compass was bangin into

Tried both during my Nav course and, limited to those two options Wrist is the way to go. HOWEVER, I have a compass on a retractor that is a single element (not in the gauge console) that is quite easy to use, stays out of the way (no danglie-bits), allows me to have it far enough in front of me to be useful to sight on things (only useful in clear water of course), and lets me keep my computer on my wrist. Of course, if expense is no object, I would really like a new Suunto D9 that has a digicompass built into the wrist computer.

Just my 2 cents.....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT