• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

XX1 vs. Waterway bi-fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

indika

Sep 23, 2004
Hi divers,

I am a spearfisher from Turkey, mostly Istanbul. Although I have been monitoring the forums for a while, this is the first time I will post a message.

I have been using Cressi Gara2000 and Sporasub plastic fins for a while, but after I had the Spora blade broken last week, I decided to try so-called composite fiber blades to gain some more efficiency.

I have two choices at the moment: XX1 for EUR 150 and waterway for EUR 125. The price difference is not that big, but the thing is that I do not have a slightest idea about the performances of these blades, yet they are impossible to compare because the stores are in different cities! Given my hunting depth is mostly between 10-20 meters, which one should you prefer??

I appreciate your replies.

Let Poseidon be with you

Indika

P.S: Does anyone know the website for XX1 fins? (www.xx1.gr does not work)

Hello

I am from Greece (But living in Sweden)
This sommer I was spearfishing in crete (My iland)with my buddy He have the XX1 I haver the waterways bifins.

If you are spearfishing go with the xx1. They are exelent fins
Waterway to but they have a problem with the rails

Take a look att : http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?threadid=53348

The link is : http://www.xxone.gr/

Here one photo that I have shoot this sommer. Is my buddy with the famous xxone finns

image06.jpg

Lambis

Last edited:
Try out the XXONE, I was finally able to try them out on my last outing (last sunday)... I have a pair of hard specialfins (still a tincy bit too stiff but I love em) and I found the XXONE very smooth very little side slipping and had a nice propulsion.. not exactly powerhouses like my specialfins but very nice nonetheless :D I wouldnt mind havin a pair for just snorkeling and fooling around... very comfy!

Thanks guys!

You have been very helpful indeed. I have just ordered by phone my pair of XXOnes! Pity that they had only had black ones, so I will have to miss these beautiful mimetic patterns. But I am planning to spray paint them.

Wish you clear waters

Indika

Hello indika, there are nice mimetic patterns on the new models of xx1 try to reach them,not the old models ,but i think the price will be a little higher..

yes Aydýn,

it is true, the patterns in the web site are marvellous, but the vendor does not have them at the moment, so if I want mimetic, I will have to wait for the next batch. These things take time, you know. Thanks anyway for the advise.

Cheers,

Ok Indika, I think you will wait for the next batch.
By the way I have Waterways,and have the rail problem like Lambis mentioned but at the last models of Waterway the rail is really thicker and seems very strong and I think they have solved the rail problem I think.
Lambis I must say that your buddies grouper is too small....

Aydyn

I know.. i know.... the grouper is really to small and we was very angry and upsätt becauce we have shot it.. but he have see the tail and the move in the hole and he was thinking that is was bigger... you know that offen you must react very fast.

But we have bigger groupers catch other days.

I still wait for a email from Waterway. Like I have wrote. the blades are exelent but not the rails...

Last edited:
Well, I have already ordered the black blades. I will spray paint them myself. A friend of mine paints his fins according to the fauna he is spearfishing in. Maybe I will do the same. I hope too thick paint by time will not affect performance.

See ya

Dear Lambis,
I'm very glad to hear fom you are on the same side..At the last years when I was young I have shot little groupers unfortunately,and now ý think so different.
Keep us informed from the response of waterway..
Bye..

Its normal to shoot that size groupers when you are newbie, i shoot myself too..You just need to find and shoot bigger ones to give up shooting babies. When you get the taste of big grouper you really don't mess up with little ones:) But the thing is that, from this picture... when you look his diving style and equipment, he don't looks like freshman. Look at the environment too, this place looks like pretty deep sea may be 25-30 meters. I observe some talented and experainced speros here and when dive 30 meters deep, mentally they don't want to come up empty handed or without taking a shoot. This does not happen always it depends current mood of the spero, so my guess is the person in the photo had the same situation....

It was more that 30 meter deep and yes it is a experainced spero
His mistake was that he have see the tail inside a dark cave and it was near 30 meters. Its loock like a big one. #0 meters have normaly big groupers .. he have take the shot. BIG MISTAKE
Normaly we dont shoot anything under 5 kg most groupers are between 5-10 kg.

This hapen before some moths. Last night I have talk with him in the telefon and he still is sad becauce off that grouper.

Lambis

Hi indika - what fins did you get in the end ?

How are they ?

If you could post a few thoughts on how they feel for you I'd be grateful - I am looking for an improvement on my Sporasubs and was thinking about something robust like the xxones or the waterways (#3's ?) - cheers
Ed

Waterway have finaly respond to my mails.... but they still dont know how they will help me.
I am beginning to lose my patience. I mean that realy not difficult
for them to help me, especially when the blades are new.
Other companies would have sent me new blades immediately.

Lambis

Originally posted by motionsync
Normaly we dont shoot anything under 5 kg most groupers are between 5-10 kg.

hehe.. My best is around 4kg or may be little bigger....generally here the speors shoot as little as 1,5kg My best is 4kg but i try not to shoot the smaller than 2kg but limits can change according to the fish conditions and fish "population" in the freezer. We don't have many groupers here greater that 5kg because the fish regulations here is not tight. Commercial fishermans like to hunt small ones around 300-750gr ones with line and hooks because all the restaurants preffer "dish" size groupers...very sad...they only thin about the money:naughty :waterwork

Hello Lambis,
What did the waterway say to you?Did you want from them to send new rails??Of course they have new rails and I think that they can send these rails to us whatever they cost.I can give the price but I did not find the rails anywhere..
Aydýn

Yes they told me that they think how they canhelp me ???
and maybe sendl send new rails ( 4 new rails ) but The question is when???

Lambis

Aydýn, I think you should buy the new generation blades :D like me :D :D I'm really trying my best to beat the rails in the last 10days but they still stand like rock :)

Hi Ed,

I bought XXOnes (hard type) and I can say they are marvellous compared to Sporasub plastic blades. One modest example: I dove 19 meters in summer in 1' 35'' with plastic fins. Now with XXOne's, my 20m dive took 1' 17'' with a 10'' "sightseeing" at the bottom. My smoothskin suit did also contribute to the difference but I could feel the difference in ascending speed. I haven't tried Waterways but XXOnes are worth the price I paid.

Cheers,

Indika

i tooks 1 minute to dive 25 meters with gara 3000, probably you stop kicking earlier than me....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT