• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

YA Sci-fi and fantasy author writing book with free diving leads

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jul 14, 2012
Hello to everyone.

I grew up on a small island off of South Carolina with my grandfather and five siblings. As kids, our grandfather would not let us stay indoors as long as there was sunlight and so we made up games and sports to pass the time. One of our favorites was akin to a makeshift free diving competition, where we would see who could retrieve mud from the bottom as we moved further and further out from the marshy shoreline.

As an adult, I now live on Lake Michigan and have never lost my attraction to the deep.

I'm currently finishing a trilogy based on a teenager who is born of free diving parents. I'm still doing research on the art of free diving as I wish to keep those portions of the story authentic. I'm here hoping to understand what diving to great depths feels like (physically, mentally, spiritually), and the preparations/training required, etc.

Ultimately, I might ask one or more interested members to read the opening chapter of my first book which contains the most detailed account of a free dive in the series.

Best to everyone - I go beyond admiring what you do (obviously!), as it is the cornerstone of the world I've been writing about for a few years now.

Cheers,
Glazed Radiator

Hi Glazed, Welcome to DB.

"Island off South Carolina" Pawleys by any chance? Spent a lot of my growing up time there.

Plenty of divers here who could help you. Fonduesets one of the best, if a little twisted.

Connor

Wadmalaw Island. I've never been to Pawleys - what's it like? Wadmalaw's pretty isolated and unpopulated (well, it used to be more so, when I was a kid).
Thanks for the welcome.

Don't know Wadmalaw, my geography south of Charleston is very limited. Pawleys is pretty populated. Was a summer retreat for rice planters before the Civil War. Simple and unpretentious in the 1930s-60s. Has gotten unpleasantly upscale in the last 30 years or so. My aunts had very simple beach houses there. Lots of relatives would spend a week or so at those houses and others and there was always room for one more kid. My goal was spend as much of every summer on the island as possible.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT