• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Yellowtail video

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
This really belongs with my trip report from last Friday, but it seems no one reads the California sub-forum, so I'm putting it here in hopes that people will see it. I'm afraid it lost a lot of quality on u-tube, but its still pretty fishy.

It was taken by one of my dive buddies.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU78lxYmKQ4&fmt=18]YouTube - Yellowtail spearfishing at San Clemente Island[/ame]

Reactions: strangelove
It is nice video and good fish :D What was the depth there? what was the size of the gun?

Thanks for sharing

It is nice video and good fish :D What was the depth there? what was the size of the gun?

Thanks for sharing

The depth of the water varied from about 55 feet to over 100 feet, but the depth at which the video was taken was around 25 feet.

The gun was a 50" Wong hybrid. Most divers in California would consider that too small for white sea bass and yellowtail, but Dam didn't get the message.

He used to carry the camera in one hand and the gun in the other, but now he made a simple L-bracket bolted to the butt of the gun.

Thats nice would be nice to be able to catch this fish!! Here in DUBAI the only big fish i saw were Shark, Baracuda, Mullet, Queen fish, and groupers. I heard that there is no yellow tail in UAE!!

All best

Nice vid Bill. Is San Clemente one of the Channel Islands? Not the real Channel Islands as that's where I live but the California Channel Islands. Is this the Carlos Eyles, "Last of the Bluewater Hunter", terrain? Certainly seems like you have a lot of fish there.

Dave.

Nice vid Bill. Is San Clemente one of the Channel Islands? Not the real Channel Islands as that's where I live but the California Channel Islands. Is this the Carlos Eyles, "Last of the Bluewater Hunter", terrain? Certainly seems like you have a lot of fish there.

Dave.

Yes, its the southernmost of the Channel Islands as shown in this map. I depart from Dana Point Harbor, and its 51 nautical miles to either end of the island.

Carlos Eyles was at Catalina Island in that summer described in his book.

Attachments

• mon-bgt2.jpg
    mon-bgt2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 133
Very nice !

Thanks for sharing, so when is the end of the season in the sunny CA.

The end of October is pretty much it for yellowtail and white sea bass, although there are exceptions, and other smaller fish like calico bass can be taken all year.

And of course our lobster season just started and lasts over the winter.

Our first winter storm just arrived with our first significant rain since spring, and those storms get more frequent.

Great video Bill thanks for sharing. Video is actually pretty clear and I wonder what camera is that? I have seen on you tube some ads for the new Hero HD camera which seems it would be great.

I forget the model and its not mine, but its just a little Sony in a case.

Thats nice would be nice to be able to catch this fish!! Here in DUBAI the only big fish i saw were Shark, Baracuda, Mullet, Queen fish, and groupers. I heard that there is no yellow tail in UAE!!

All best

There should be, but you have to know the season. Very large Yellowtail or Kingfish do come by the Persian Gulf just before waters warm up. In Kuwait we usually catch them from April to end of June. The place to go is to the offshore oil rigs, and as the water warms they start going all the way down to 130 feet and then suddenly mysteriously disappear. But in April they are within easy reach of any good free diver. I figure if they come all the way to Kuwait, they must pass by UAE.

Reactions: Salehthefish
Yes you are right 100% now King fish started here... But i am not sure about the yellow tail tuna though i saw they sell tuna in fish market but i am not experienced in their types. I hope to get one soon and thanks for your input. Those fish in the video are so attractive for shooting and for stomach :D

Yes you are right 100% now King fish started here... But i am not sure about the yellow tail tuna though i saw they sell tuna in fish market but i am not experienced in their types. I hope to get one soon and thanks for your input. Those fish in the video are so attractive for shooting and for stomach :D

The yellowtail in the video are not tuna. I know its easy to confuse them with yellowfin tuna, but they are a different fish, more like a slimmer version of the amberjack. The same fish is called kingfish in New Zealand.

And that confuses people from the Southeastern United States, where king mackerel are called kingfish.

I suppose the only sure thing is to use Latin names.

It's always worth checking out the Hall of Fame the link for which is in my signature. You can see entries for species of fish caught by DB members (although not many USA entries I'm afraid :confused:). The index contains links to web based identification sites that include latin names, distribution etc. This is the index page containing entries for yellowtail kingfish (from a NZ DB member) http://forums.deeperblue.com/777447-post3.html

Enjoy.

Dave.

The yellowtail in the video are not tuna. I know its easy to confuse them with yellowfin tuna, but they are a different fish, more like a slimmer version of the amberjack. The same fish is called kingfish in New Zealand.

And that confuses people from the Southeastern United States, where king mackerel are called kingfish.

I suppose the only sure thing is to use Latin names.

Yes, here also people get them confused with King Mackerel. Ofcourse we have King Mackerel too. Most of the King Mackerel here are smaller schooling types, but man we have some GIANT loners that lurk in the oil rigs. My brother specializes in shooting those fish, and he can spend an entire day just to take one shot. Personally I don't have the patience for that and prefer many shots at smaller fish. Here is the biggest King Mackerel I have ever seen which was shot by my brother in our oil rigs.

Attachments

• DSCN0114 (Large).JPG
    DSCN0114 (Large).JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 113
I would wait my life time to catch this fish!!! wow wow wow :D how many Kgs ? i see there is rubber tube on the boat is it bungee?

Actually this is a float we use to tie our boat in Garo island, which are put there by us and other volunteer divers to discourage people from throwing anchors and damaging corals ... about 12 miles from our oil rigs. We usually go there after spearfishing in the oil rigs to have something to eat and catch some reef fish before heading back to land. Ofcourse we use lines with floats on our spearguns as it would be impossible to catch something this big without risk of drowning. Not sure how much this thing weighed, but it was a LOT. I have caught probably hundreds of King Mackerel and seen hundreds more caught by others. Some were very large, but this one is the biggest I ever saw even in online pictures.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT