• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Yet another new freediving computer - Omer MIK 1

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
I just found out Omer offers a new freediving computer that looks very cool. I do not know yet all the functions and parameters or other details, but Spago or another Italian friend could tell us more perhaps. Namely there is this video where the guy speaks rather long about it. On the other hand we all know Italians - they often talk a lot, but it does not mean the guy really speaks about the watch. Perhaps he just describes what a beautiful girl he met, and what wine is the best. Anyway, it is worth of watching:

The best on the watch is the price - I found already several stores who offer it for 169€, which is less than 40% of the price of Suunto D4, and 60% of Aeris F.10 here in Europe.

See for example here:
Computer MIK 1 Omer

I am just trying to find the technical data, but perhaps Spago will know better

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: spaghetti
Well, I found some user comments here. It does not sound too encouraging, but that was just a single guy who just used it very briefly without knowing how to operate it.

It is still difficult to get any detailed info on the computer. I found some comments on a Spanish spearo board telling that it possibly does not display the surface interval, which would be a rather big flop. It is unconfirmed though, I do not know whether it is true or just someones speculation.

Some technical details are revealed here, but real only very superficially:
Larompiente.com: Material de pesca submarina - OMER - Relojes mik1

MK1 features dedicated to spearfishing
- Dual time zone (who cares)​
- Alarm function (nice, but what kind and how many?)
- Stopwatch function (would be sad if it was not there)
- Countdown Timer Function
- Display backlight
- Memory for 100 dives​

Ah, and there is an italian PDF manual available here:

http://pescasubapnea.forumfree.it/?act=Attach&type=post&id=374040262

Google Translation:
Google Translate

EDIT: after reading the translated manual, it indeed looks like the surface interval is not shown automatically, but that you rather need to go to the dive history first, or to start the stopwatch. That's certainly a rather important omission, quite degrading the product. The question is how far the manual really reflects the product that will come out to the market - it does not look like an official manual, so let's wait for more details to come.​

Last edited:
I might be having MAJOR 'de ja vous' but I could swear I read an almost identical post on an Omer diver watch about a year ago.... am I going mad!?!?

Hard to tell. Personally I do not remember anything similar, but it does not mean it was not already announced a year ago. However, a quick search of the forum archive did not reveal anything relevant. But again, perhaps I missed it, or perhaps you heard about it on another forum.

Don't you mistake it for the AERIS F.10? It was indeed about a year ago when it was discussed the first time here on DB. That's entirely different computer, and also quite a bit more expensive.

Reactions: Broseidon
Omer already put some information about the new watch on their website. For the moment it is accessible only through the Italian version at www.omersub.com but the PDF manual is in English too (or something relatively close to it):

http://www.omersub.com/cataloghi/Mik1_manual.pdf

I tried to find whether it shows the surface time or not, but it still looks like not. That would be pretty bad, of course.

The price on Omer's website is also 169€, so I guess the street price may be little bit less in a few weeks. And if it turns out that the watch displays no surface time, I bet you'll see plenty of them on eBay for a bargain soon :)

EDIT: I just see another negative point: on the website there is a warning that the battery must be changed by authorized dealer, otherwise the guarantee is invalidated. Not very good at a watch that claims having user replaceable battery.

Last edited:
Ha, and this one is funny too:
Dive Alarm when emerge faster than 6m/minute
It means if you dive 60m deep with it, it would force you to slow down so that you'd need 10 minutes for the accent rofl

Reactions: Broseidon
EDIT: I just see another negative point: on the website there is a warning that the battery must be changed by authorized dealer, otherwise the guarantee is invalidated. Not very good at a watch that claims having user replaceable battery.

A lot of watches are like this, it's a bit of a con price-wise although I fully understand why they do it - they need to be assured that the seals will be fully intact and that someone with the necessary skill and experience has seen to it that they are.

If they can't guarantee the seals are intact then they can't guarantee the watch won't leak, so no warranty!

Reactions: trux
Exactly my words. It also has no depth or dive time alarms. It's a pity because implementing such features does not require any rocket scientist, just a very simple function in the firmware that would not cost more than a few hours of development time (including testing and documentation), and would not make the computer more expensive. I know this is a really low-end computer, but such basic flaws are a really huge show stopper. Hope Omer gets the feedback and will fix these issues in a firmware upgrade. I encourage everyone writing to Omer, or their dealers and complaining about these important missing functions. Only if they have sufficient feedback they may realize they are loosing many potential customers. At the price they've set they would certainly take a significant part of the market if only the watch was useful.

Useless IMO. Surface time is the main reason I use a timer/computer at all.
Fire the R&D guy.
:rcard

Exactly! That is the most valuable feature of my D3. Its hard to believe that someone would offer a freedive watch without the feature.

If I hunt without a surface timer, my dives stink. I know that I tend to dive too soon, especially if I think there are fish waiting down there (I can't see fish from the surface where I hunt).

With a timer I can force myself to wait a good interval, resulting in better and (I think) safer dives.

I don't understand companies that do stuff like this. Maybe OMER should listen to the research:

Dan Pink on the surprising science of motivation | Video on TED.com

Reactions: devondave
I just found out that the Omer MIK1 is a clone of a few years old watch "Snorkelling Master" by a Chinese company Altitude Ltd in Honk Kong. All they did for Omer is putting the watch into a new case with better quality buttons. It is also sold under the German brand Ocaris, with the name Dive-Time. The Ocaris watch can be found for as little as 89€, and the Sorkelling Master probably for even less.

EDIT: also sold as Snorkeling Master under the brand Eden Roc - you can often find them on eBay for $20 - $50

I think Omer's customers deserved little bit more effort from them :)

Last edited:
I literally just ordered one of these, have now cancelled and am back to being completely unable to decide which Dive computer I should get! :blackeye

Well, the MIK1 still offers decent value for the price. I also think it is slightly better looking than the Snorkeling Master, and according to some reports the button are a bit too sensitive at the Snorkeling Master (alias Ocarid Dive-Time). The biggest disadvantage is the lack of surface time on the display.

The choice is not too difficult - it depends basically on your budget. If it is very tight, get the Snorkeling Master - with some luck you'll buy it for $20 on eBay. There are also some Casio or Seiko watches with depth-meter that can be often found very cheap. Or another DB member also noticed the Timex Helix DM.

If your budget is little bit higher but still low, you can get the MIK1, but you won't get much more for the extra 100€, and the lack of surface time is quite disturbing.

Then, if you can afford spending over 200€, the Aeris F.10 is probably the best bet, although it has still some child diseases. Despite it, it is likely better than anything else on the market.

And if you occasionally scuba dive too, then there is a bunch of interesting options, often not much more expensive than the F.10.

Just for the case you did not see it yet, you can find a resume of 32 free diving computers, and can compare individual instruments side by side, here: APNEA.cz - Freediving Computers

Hey Trux, yeah ive been studying your list carefully and STILL cant decide :)

The F10 is still attracting me, but can you buy it in Europe ?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT