• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

YFTuna Bonanza

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Actually i wasn't even aiming at him. I missed a 2 lb Rainbow runner and Accidentally hit this poor little guy. Oh well. I'll take what i can get.

Although I always try to aim at tuna and wahoo mid-body a lot of guys feel (maybe they're just trying to justify a bad shot :D ) that hitting them near the tail has the highest chances of success. It's the thinnest section of the fish to pass through and impairs their propeller and speed significantly.

The one thing I've noticed about the few tunas I've shot is that they're almost like in shock when you first them sometimes and it's not until they sense significant traction that they turn the afterburners on and shoot strait down. I once shot a tuna with 560lb seven strand cable attached to my 8mm spearshaft, maybe a 50 pounder, and I thought I stoned him. I started to pull the fish toward me since the spear was almost completely through him convinced that I stoned him since the fish seemed barely conscious, and as soon as the shaft came sliding out with only the cable of the slip tip remaining in the fish and the toggled tip, it woke up out of nowhere with all the slack I had left (I thought I stoned it so I wasn't worried about the slack) at such speed it hit the bottom of my foat line and severed the almost brand new braided cable loop I had made. Was very impressive.

clear waters, Mark

I bet that must have given you a shock. This has happened to me with bass. I think they get knocked unconscious for a few seconds if the shot is good.

Yes this happens with fish: after the shot sometimes they freeze as if they were stoned, but when they feel the arrow sliding back, they wake up and make a mess!

Roberto

Cameron...nice fish. Andy York is bummed you beat his tuna but he is coming up after Christmas to hunt the wahoo here. We got blown out in the keys this week so you're fish are safe........for now.

Too bad you're leaving. The big hoo's are showing up and GR, Sasa and company are on standby. Youre not gonna miss much though, last seasons big hoo was shot by Bill Crawford and we couldnt fit in in the cooler whole but the 2 halves weighhed in at 115... ;)

Mark, I talked to Bill D yesterday and he is excited about the season too. If the weather gives us a couple of days we should do well.

Aloha Mark
Thanks for the stirring up the memory. When the spear hit my biggest Halibut, she stopped swimming, never moved all the way back to the boat and when I tossed her in, all H**l broke loose. For a minute there, it looked like she'd kick the bottom out of the boat. Some lessons are best learned 'the hard way'.
Merry Christmas all
Bill

When the spear hit my biggest Halibut, she stopped swimming, never moved all the way back to the boat and when I tossed her in, all H**l broke loose. For a minute there, it looked like she'd kick the bottom out of the boat. Some lessons are best learned 'the hard way'.

Hi Bill, thanks for sharing and at least you were lucky. I thought I had the cat in the bag as I began raising a suspicious eye brow thinking maybe it was going to be one of those "just right days" when the punch drunk tuna woke up and proceeded to break the cable shooting line and take $150 worth of terminal gear with it :waterwork My buddy had seen me shoot the fish and back at the boat later...wondered why the fish wasn't in the cooler while I was still in the water. Hey at least yours was in the boat :D

Merry Christmas to you too, and happy holidays and happy new year to all the friends at Deeper Blue in case this is my last post this year!

Mark

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT