• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Yilmaz spearguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
A lot of people start of with these guns around turkey and cyprus(north), as you say Cheap, but as a gun they are strong and fairly reliable, dont expect too much from the bands though they wilt after a season and its not the most accurate in the world. i had one in mothballs for over 5 years and my son came over and used it, its a, how can i put it? , "fun gun" but i have heard that some pro spearo's here use them but never seen one.

I've used the cheaper models and they are crap. If you wish to have a decent weapon you must change the bands, wishbones and spear. They come with an 8mm spear with screw-in tip with 2 longish rubber (not latex) bands which just don't have enough power for the thick shaft. The shaft is just galvanized and rusts in a week. The wishbones are of the simplest type and break very fast.
That's just my opinion about the older models. I don't have any personal experience with the new range called "Sniper" if I remember correctly.
Hope this helps.

They made them better now but they are still CRAP in my opinion.

HMMM i think the word CRAP is a bit short in its explanation, lets face it if i could kill fish with a house brick tied to a bungee i would use it, but would this make it CRAP!!! i hope not because its doing what i want it to do "KİLL FİSH" so set aside all the "TOP of the Range guns" and put into perspective , Yilmaz guns kill fish in the hands of a spearfisher, JOB DONE.

I guess the Yilmaz guns help suicidal fish out of their misery, rather than be called a decent speargun;)
The actual shooting range of a 90cm Yilmaz gun with the single 16mm rubber (not latex) band and an 8mm shaft is about 1.5 m from the gun muzzle. After travelling that distance the shaft falls on the bottom before pulling single wrap of line. Of course it can kill a fish, but IMHO it is just not effective enough to be a decent speargun.
If you can kill fish with a house brick and a bungee you will be one hell of a hunter, but this doesn't mean your weapon isn't crap ;)
Cheers!

Reactions: Groupermadness
Yes Mr Dobs.. so if someone can kill a good fish with a Yilmaz (CRAP gun)then he or She can only be Excelent Hunters of first class quality..... Yes!! and people with star spangled, super duper, over priced, mega accurate, perfect ballanced Guns, must then be be, CRAP hunters, in all its not the tool you use but how you use it,rofl rofl :)

:naughty :naughty :naughty

Reactions: spaghetti and Dobs
rofl rofl well few months ago when while i was diving i shot a gouper, the cave was very small and fish couldn't escaped just stuck the cave head out, so i shot it but it was too close the rock and flopper did not deployed, spear tear out without real effort when i pulled it, then i spear the fish from the head by using my hands just like ancient african hunters using sticks, so sometimes you don't even need speargun to kill the fish but this does not change the truth that both brands YILMAZ and APNEA makes CRAP guns in my standarts.rofl

Reactions: Groupermadness
I agree with Murat.
The Yilmaz muzzle looks exactly like the Beuchat muzzle. I guess if they're going to knock something off, they might as well go with the best.
The handle is also is a copy of the Beuchat Mundial but poorly executed, just as their copy of the trigger mechanism.
I would not trust it with 2 bands or 1 pair of megaboosters.

Sometimes a brand will get "inspiration" from a competitor's product and make it better. Not Yilmaz though, they can't even copy properly.

Why can't Yilmaz come up with their own ideas?
Why do they have to copy Beuchat's gear, do a bad job and sell it for just as much?
... And why does Beuchat not sue them?

Ohh i love good discusions:) , what can i say now to stir the pot a little:ko .

on a serious note:rcard , do not buy Yilmaz guns, you will have no joy with it, it is exatcly what you hear here, its very low quality and very bad, its a wast of money and is only good for a beginer gun to get used to holding one, it will last you only the year at the most so if you want a cheap gun get the Apnea, its better quality and spares are available, plus you can modify the Apnea into a reasonable gun.

Peter.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT