• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Yoga Question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
My understanding is that turtles pump water in and out of their rectum to absorb O2.... no joke.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Finding turtle breathing information on google is a less than 5 minute search.

Finding human oxygen absorption from water via the nose on google in english is an infinite search - it returns no results.

I still have not tried searching in German or French though.

So the question is: can humans absorb 02 through the nose? The trachea? The stomach? The trachea are what become gills in a fish.

Reactions: DeepThought
Hi,
I don't wanna put you off, I like the ideas, and I did'nt know that about sea turtles, but I think it's a dead-end.

I don't think that information about aborving O2 through the trachea will help anyway, since if it's O2 in air, it's intouch with your lung tissue anyway, so you will abosrve it eventually (it's in the same air-space). And I would never wanna have water in my trachea, that's how drowning starts!

About the stomach: it has thick walls and mucos (I think) that are supposed to withstand acidity of PH 1 or so, and produce acid themselves, so I doubt if any gas transfer is possible there. and even if a minute amount of O2 could've been absorved to those near cells, it would'nt have left to the blood and transfered to where you really might need it.

Absorving O2 from water through nose tissue, if possible, will probably require to circulate it otherwise the amount is so minute that it doesn't worth bothering. Think of how small surface area the nose has with the water compared to your lungs, and that it has considerably much less blood flowing through it, and that water don't have as much O2 as we air-breathers are used for...
I think it's a dead-end no matter what.
But if it can be done, I think that breathing in and out small amounts of water to your nose for circulation (and thuss small amounts of air to your lungs) might signal the body that you've started breathing again and will raise the pulse and make you lose more O2 than you gain, same that happens when you 'pump' your mask during the dive (not during the ascent). Might make you feel a short term relief though. If you could circulate water in your nose by expending/contracting your mouth space.... I still doubt it much, but who knows?:confused: Yet I think I'll stick with improving using the more conventional methods for now...

Regarding 'anus breathing', there's a limit to what one might sacrifice for a few more seconds underwater, but you are welcome to experiment. :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT