• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

You gotta wonder ???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bluecape

Apr 21, 2003
Hi everyone

Well, sad news of another Great White fatality in the Western Cape, but after hearing the details, you just gotta wonder...

A group of poachers on the weekend proceeded to SWIM from Gansbaai to Dyer Island, about 3 hrs, and then proceed to start poaching Abalone from the vicinity of Dyer. The problem here is...Dyer Island is the location of the legendary 'Shark Alley', probably the highest concentration of white sharks anywhere. ( This is where all the cage diving operations are centered)

One of the poachers was hit by a white, apparently losing a leg, and his mates fled back to Gansbaai, swimming, after dropping their stash. The body washed up on Monday about 8 miles away from Dyer Island.
Poachers or no poachers, you gotta wonder what drives someone to swim 3 hrs to the white sharks home ground ???:confused:

Jeff

I'm left feeling a bit at odds with this one guys. I can never condone what poachers do, we have just had headlines in our paper about a wealthy woman who heads up a poachers ring and she has made millions, but she's been caught.

But these guys who swam to Dyer. They are locals who were from the nearby shanty-town apparently, who were doing this to earn a bit of money to feed their families. In other words they could not afford to get a boat, and they would probably never consider doing anything like this.
That woman was wealthy, she reaps off the cream, whilst these 3 guys were doing the dirty work because they had mouths to feed.

If a wealthy poacher gets stung I can sit back and laugh.

But this story saddens me. But I guess if you play with fire.....

Jeff

Originally posted by bluecape
I'm left feeling a bit at odds with this one guys. I can never condone what poachers do, we have just had headlines in our paper about a wealthy woman who heads up a poachers ring and she has made millions, but she's been caught.

But these guys who swam to Dyer. They are locals who were from the nearby shanty-town apparently, who were doing this to earn a bit of money to feed their families. In other words they could not afford to get a boat, and they would probably never consider doing anything like this.
That woman was wealthy, she reaps off the cream, whilst these 3 guys were doing the dirty work because they had mouths to feed.

If a wealthy poacher gets stung I can sit back and laugh.

But this story saddens me. But I guess if you play with fire.....

Jeff

Exactly my thought. Couldn't agree more.

What can drive human to swim with GW, simple needs to earn money like those poor dudes, hunting instinct can not stop speros to swim in fish/shark heaven areas, posing??? I don't think so there should be better ways for this. Saving buddy felt down from the boat-Whow many people have courage for this?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT