• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Your comments/opinions on omer or pathos Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Wisamz

Oct 12, 2020
Hey guys
Am planning to buy a new spear gun 100 -110 cm , i got no experience in choosing a speargun i just dont want to choose wrong or miss something .
I am mainly going reef and planning to go in the open water in the future ( i already got cressi yuma 75 which is pain in the ass i missed plenty of fishs just because how weak it is )
Got eyes on
pathos laser open pro
Omer Arbalete Invictus HF speargun
Anyone with experience used both spearguns ? Is there an obvious choice keep in mind there some noticeable differences betteen the two for example the omer one uses 3 14 mm rubber bands i mean that is sexy !

I accidentally have two Pathos guns, Laser and Sniper, IMO you can’t go wrong with Pathos.

The first guns I used I built with Pathos D'Angelo II handles, which the Laser Open Pro comes with. In general they performed fine for me, but I had two things I didn't like. First is the line release pin. It's a a short small pin that I've had occasional issue holding a double wrap on, if that's your preference. The typical side line releases are my preference. Emes does have a replacement mech with double roller and side line release, but it's pricey. Second, is the grip, if you get the universal grip. Due to the grip design, the trigger is located a bit on the far side forward.

While I've heard good reviews of the Omer from my friends, the pipe guns I've used with 3 bands tend to kick a lot and not be the most accurate.

I also have two Pathos guns, a Laser and a Sniper Roller. Musubi pointed out some of the downsides of these guns. Pathos used to be the standard a lot of commercial guns where measured against but lately you have several other brands that are at least equally good or depending on your preference even better. Here are some of the ones I have used and would recommend besides Pathos: Rob Allen (the AK of spearguns), Sigalsub, Meandros (with their roller trigger), MVD...

I really don't see why you would want 3 bands on a 110 gun, it is not going to give you much extra range or power but will increase recoil significantly affecting accuracy. With a 3 banded classic gun you need something with sufficient mass to help absorb some of that recoil.

Is Meandros something special in terms of quality, accuracy, etc.? Their prices are WAY more than others.

What does "AK" mean in this context please?
The AK47 made by Kalashnikov is considered a super reliable firearm. It was relatively cheap to produce and has good tolerances that probably aid in reliability. In my mind the Rob Allen spearguns are produced in a similar philosophy and I mean that as a compliment.
RA spearguns are simple, reliable, indestructible bombproof and I have never heard anything bad about them. I don't own one myself but have shot them often from some of my friends who sport them, all of them swear by RA.

Reactions: DivingNomad
Is Meandros something special in terms of quality, accuracy, etc.? Their prices are WAY more than others.
I don't know where you are located but in Europe Meandros are really cheap. Especially if you see what you get for it. Personally love them and have just built 5 Meandros spearguns for some of my friends. You get a lot for your money with Meandros but that is based on the prices we pay for them. Here they are cheaper than Pathos and really a step up if you ask me.
bb95b8438caf3ae5939d83561a2c8da1.jpg

38255ec513c61a6d9ca0d0d0a279a973.jpg

e0abb01f8d8d8857689f31480ec8b8a0.jpg

Please note that the pictures show a speargun with a Hunt shaft and reel which I added myself.

Last edited:
The AK47 made by Kalashnikov is considered a super reliable firearm. It was relatively cheap to produce and has good tolerances that probably aid in reliability. In my mind the Rob Allen spearguns are produced in a similar philosophy and I mean that as a compliment.
RA spearguns are simple, reliable, indestructible bombproof and I have never heard anything bad about them. I don't own one myself but have shot them often from some of my friends who sport them, all of them swear by RA.

OK, got it, thank you. I should know about the meaning of AK47 since I live in war torn area with AK's sold by the ton :)

Reactions: Kodama
OK, got it, thank you. I should know about the meaning of AK47 since I live in war torn area with AK's sold by the ton :)
I am sorry to hear that. By no means I was trying to glorify these weapons being aware of their destructive capability.

Reactions: DivingNomad
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT