• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Your Freediver Role Model?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

samdive

Mermaid, Musician and Marketer
Nov 12, 2002
As part of a private project I am working on with a friend continuing from my NLP studies last year, we are interested to find out WHO out there you would consider an excellent role model freediver. This will be someone who is at the top of their game who you really believe is going about it the right way - in their general approach, their training, their achievements, and their whole approach. Our project will model some of these people to look at things like "what makes an excellent freediver?" and later we hope to use that information to coach others.

So.... who do you think we should base our model on, and why?

thanks for your help

Sam

Last edited:
Why you of course Sam - an inspiration to us all

D x

I think the whole PFI team is on the right track. If only their courses didn't cost so damn much :) They're the closest thing to professional freedive training I've come across...If we ever want the sport to grow, we need more teams like that.

I think Umberto and Apnea academy are also doing great work. Shame I know so little about them, since they seem to have isolated themselves from the "AIDA view of the world", which I belong to.

Sebastien Murat - In terms of research, attidute and accomplishmets. I would pay good money to attend his clinics as well. Always articulate, never seems to lose his temper, no need for boasting, results speak for them selves.

Loic Leferme - I just like his general approach and philosophy. Safety first, diving is supposed to be fun. Breaking records but not taking insane risks. Modest enough, but knows how to deal with publicity.

Eric Fattah - You might not always like what he says, but at least he is honest about it. No one can deny the contributions he's made to all of us. Unlike many divers, every time he finds out something new, the first instinct is to report it to others. Gotta respect that.

Of course, I know none of these guys personally, this is just an opinnion based on public appearnace.

Hard to pick any single one, just some ideas (of course there are others as well).

Last edited:
Yes, why not include Eric Fattah in your study? Hard to think of anyone who has selflessly contributed more to the sport (knowledge about physiology, training techniques, equipment etc.) with little or no remuneration.

There was a similar question posted on this forum some 12 months ago. And you know what Sebastien Murat answered?
"What is 'best'?
A contagious mass delusion that exists only in our minds, having no firm grounding in reality and who's only posssible outcome can be but division, envy and jealousy amongst us.
'Best', is an empty word-trap devoid of substance and value".

That's THE answer that makes me say - Seb's the greatest one.

Last edited:
I think the poll about the "greatest freediver" is slightly different.

A good role model doesn't have to be the "greatest" or "best". It is simply someone that people will want to look up to. Not necessarily the one that makes the most records, but someone who contributes, acts like a role model, takes things forward and in general has qualities you have or would like to posess your self...

Yeah, you're right. And that's what I mean - saying what Seb said makes him the role model for me...

give me a break - was he wearing a black polo neck sweater, puffing on a gitane when he wrote that? I for one remain unworried by the consequences to humanity of having the word 'best' unleashed among us.

Howard Jones. To my knowledge, worked tirelessly in the UK back in the dark days to promote the sport and get things kickstarted. Not sure how far the UK scene would have progressed without his input and he is a nutter to boot - what more can you say?

Howard! Ask HMS Dolphin if they think the same! Fair enough he did a lot for UK freediving but made a lot of empty deals and took lots of money for services that never happened. Eyes open at the front!

I never suffered any negative experiences with Howard and I used to advertise in Freediver etc. That's not to say that other people may have had different experiences with the guy but from a freediving perspective I think he did a lot for the sport but maybe made 'bad' business decisions. Just my 10p's worth.

Yeah, very true. He did more for the sport in UK than enyone else so far...in many ways. I am happy with that. Howard for training officer of AIDA!!

mmmm.... I don't think we will be using Mr Jones.... but there are some other great ideas in there... thanks

Sebastien Murat's quote - could someone please translate????? : )

My role models:

Martin Stepanek: for his just-do-it approach to freediving. First heard of him through here,
http://www.deeperblue.net/article.php/121
When he's around I shut up about any training excuses I may have!

Kirk Krack: aside from forming CAFA and influencing freediving from every level from education to safety to governence to organizing Worlds 2004, etc, etc, the most dedicated and selfless freediver I know. The best known example is his serving as a primary safety diver at Cyprus 2003, when this was also his first attendance as a competitor! (How many competitive freedivers would do this?)

Samantha Kirby: for changing a local quarry into a hot spot for freedive training (NDC and Salt Free).

I should have more role models, but I don't get out much! :)

Peter S.

EDIT: To clarify, my role models cover non-competitive aspect and only within the freediving realm. For competitive aspects, you may want to look outside our sport (ex. Lance Armstrong, Janet Evans) for information too because all sports competitors have personality and behavior elements in common.

Last edited:
I would say Carlos Coste.

- He trains the most intuitive way -- by just diving over and over again.
- The results speak for themselves:
1. He has never missed a dive in international competition
2000: Nice world cup 57m
2001: Ibizia 68m
2002: WR attempt: 90m
2002: Kona 70m (depth limit)
2003: Cypress 85m
2004: Cypress 102m WR and 1st person to officially cross 100m
2005: Nice 105m WR and winner

Plus, he is very modest; after each record he always say that the record is for all freedivers.

Carlos would definitely be on my list

anyone want to choose a woman?

I' am very interested in any research done toward what makes the top people 'tick' Sam, but unfortunately I have very little reference or knowledge about most of the top protagonists. I admire Mayol because of the desire to push the boundries of the human body when very little was known. I admire Pipin and Pellazari for keeping the sport alive after the mayol / Enzo era. I admire Tanya Streeter for her committment and goal orientated performances, although I do know that other woman are also doing great things, i have just seen most publicity around Tanya.

Edit -
Having re-read your brief, i would say for me, Jacques Mayol, just because I feel he was not interested in records or acclaim, but rather just a pursuit to get closer to what we, as humans, are capable of in Apnea.

And a SA diver Bevan Dewar. As I have mentioned on DV before, for what he has achieved in his CW performances, and yet he is amazingly modest and humble.

Last edited:
I think its hard to distinguish one as better then all of the rest, concerning the top atheletes, except it seems as if pipin and musismu have rather inflated egos. So i cannot say who is the best role model out of any record holders, but i admire the helpfullness and dedication scientificwise of erik fattah and sebastien murat greatly. As for general role models, i think that someone who freedives for pure fun and is safe about it is the best role model. Im not saying that they dont like competition, but they wouldnt have a problem with diving in 20 feet of water and blowing bubbles sometimes, so that its not just a competition about depth for them. I knew a guy who was in diving only for depth and bragging rights, and wouldnt dive in water less then 40 feet saying that it was a waste of time

DB's Bill. If there was such a thing as a "senior tour", like golf, he would be at the very top., definately my hero. To stay at it for as long as he has, to keep getting better, and to be willing to share his experiance, that should fit your criteria. Love the concept "dive your age in meters," but I may have to do it VW.

Connor

In terms of women, I'd say Natalia Molchanova all the way. She already has accomplished things that no man has ever done:

2005 World championships
Qualified in all 4 events
Competed in all 4 events
Won all 4 events
Set world records in all 4 events

No one in history has even broken 2 worlds records in a single championships, let alone 4!

Plus,
Women's WR in DNF: broke the record by 16m (108m to 124m), longest break in women's history
Women's WR in DYF: her previous record of 172m broke the existing record by a huge 14m, again the longest break in women's history
Women's CW WR: breaking it by 8m she equalled the longest break in history previously held by Mandy
Women's Static WR: 7'16", breaking the old record (6'31") by 45 seconds, the longest break by far in both men & women's history

I also heard she trains full time 7 days a week for months at a time, which shows tremendous focus, determination, and dedication.

Not to mention that she's also 45 years old!

And unlike other divers she shows no sign of reaching a plateau or 'slowing down.' At the rate she's going she will catch up to the men very soon.

In fact, her static time 7'16" would have placed her 3RD IN THE WORLD for MEN, and her CW dive would have tied her for 3RD IN THE WORLD for MEN.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT