• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Your personal preparation for statics?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Farmer Mat

May 5, 2003
hi people,
i`d like to know something about your preparation: how do you do it??? Yet i haven`t found any that gets me calm and ready for a dive or static. Can anyone help?
Bye, Mat

this again...

this is something that seems to come up often, but it always seems to end in the same way, it is a really personal thing,

if you want to go back to basics, look at what you are trying to accomplish with your breathup:
- calm yourself enough that you consume the least amount of O2 once
- oxygenate yourself as much as possible so that you have O2 :head

im sure you can add to that list, but those are the basics...
i find that at relatively short inhale followed by a long exhale (3-4X longer) with a pause of a few seconds inbetween works well, as for getting yourself relaxed, make sure you are comfortable :duh (unless your like me and do statics when there's nothing else to do during school...) and then just think back to a time when you were really calm, and then try to clear your mind once you are calm...
eventually you will just go to the calm w/ a clear mind feeling (hard to explain)

cheers

hi

Farmer like he said its personal, my personal preparation for a max static is simply a 2 min hyperventliation then go for it. I dont wait for a certain rest time or wait till Im 100% relaxed just make sure you close your eyes :D

cheers

Originally posted by ivan
hi

my personal preparation for a max static is simply a 2 min hyperventliation then go for it. I dont wait for a certain rest time or wait till Im 100% relaxed :D

cheers

:duh :duh :duh :duh :duh

Funny man! You don`t do that before a dive, do you?

:blackeye

From Ivan> just make sure you close your eyes

Why do you need to close your eyes? If theres a lot of distractions its understandable but its usually just the bottom of a pool.
Closing your eyes makes your energy internal (at least in aikido) whereas opening them spreads your energy. Is this the reason to close them?

hi

Groats no I dont hyperventilate that long before a dive but for statics I sure do.

Dave closing my eyes for me is the best way to loose yourself or loose track of time, to me this is most important until you get the first contraction then I open them and focus on the pain. But yeah after doing my breathe up and with really low co2 closing my eyes feels like im lost and is a good way to loose time.

BTW in no way am I promoting the use of hyperventilation its dangerous and shouldnt be done, its just simply my PERSONAL way of doing things.

cheers

Closing the eyes is good ( for me ) during the first phase of the static. With nothing to focus on, it is easy to clear the mind and leave a blank canvas for positive mental imaging. Once I'm out of the calm and into the resistance phase, then opening the eyes helps, as it adds distraction to the discomfort ( even if it's just looking at the grouting on the pool tiles ).

Static Preparation

Pertaining to statics:

I have done the whole works...

From 6 min breath ups with fast inhales and slow exhales over a 10-15 second period, acheiving 7 minutes.

To immediately performing a 2min hyperventilation and beginning the breath-hold immediately afterwards, acheiving consistently 7minutes - 8+ minutes.

150-160 contractions when above 7:30.

Cheers,

Tyler Zetterstrom

hi

I heard about your 8:07 dry static a while back congratulations man that is massive I will pm you tommorow about statics if thats okay.

cheers

About 4 seconds after I take my last breath my vision
goes dim and I get light headed for the first min and a half.
Anyone else have this happen?

hi

Yeah mate happens to me too all the time, I think it has something to do with low blood pressure and really low levels of co2

cheers

One thing that might help: Don't relax your breathing muscles right away after that last breath (just relax everything else). For the 1st several seconds (or more) keep your breathing muscles in "inhale position" -- try to maintain no pressure in your lungs. Then gradually relax completely, for the duration. I don't know if this will stop 1.5 minutes of lightheadedness, though.

hi

The lightheadeness is good it helps you to loose track of time.

cheers

Originally posted by ramstam

This also happens to me, but only for a few seconds. I fight against the sensation to get the lightheadedness or slight dizzyness out and then it's plain sailing until contractions.

Adrian

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT