• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Your sixth sense

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Camospearo

Dec 4, 2017
I am writing this thread because of an interesting experience I had with two fellow spearos the other day . It was a day like any other , twenty minute boat ride out to one of our closer spearfishing spots . A little bit uneventful if anything , only about 5 metres visibility so the going was pretty tough. I was on a Reef edge about 7- 8 metres deep so couldn't see the bottom as I dived down . Everything going along nicely , one decent coral trout and a nice Venus Tuskfish when I just had a strange feeling like I was being watched . Twenty years ago I would have completely dismissed that feeling but I have learned to listen to what I refer to as that little man on my shoulder telling me that all is not well. I decided ,seeing As we had been out for almost 6 hours that maybe the boat was the best place to be. I called over to my mates that I had had enough and it was time to go( sometimes not the easiest blokes to get out of the water ). I was on the boat cleaning the two fish and one of my friends was making a last ditch effort right next to the boat for one more fish . I called him in and as his second foot plonked down in the boat the biggest hammerhead shark I have ever seen ( and I have seen a few ) turned up and diligently feasted on the remains of the cleaned fish I had just a moment before tossed in the water as my friend was clambering in to the boat , moral of this story is that if it doesn't feel right it probably isn't . Interested to know if any others have had that feeling and it had proved to be right . Always listen to that little man on your shoulder that lets you know thing just ain't right

I trust my gut instinct, it has served me well. Not to sure if you were ever in any risk from a hammerhead, but they do love to steal fish. We are also a superstitious bunch, bananas are a good example, dont even think about bringing a banana, or banana branded, flavoured or scented things onto a spearo's boat, you will never be welcome or trusted again. I have heard all the arguments about it being a furphy, but just dont do it. I have also seen it backfire pretty badly on smarties who try it or think they are being funny by smuggling bananas on board. Another superstition is people changing plans like dates or destinations for spearfishing trips, the old hands will usually just can the whole thing & start again without those making changes, rather than risk bad luck. I do this as my default now, if someone trys to change plans, I just scratch it & start again without them, to not do this is asking for trouble as they will surely continue this behaviour on the trip. There are lots of little signs & omens, sometimes subtle, but we shouldnt ignore them.

I trust my gut instinct, it has served me well. Not to sure if you were ever in any risk from a hammerhead, but they do love to steal fish. We are also a superstitious bunch, bananas are a good example, dont even think about bringing a banana, or banana branded, flavoured or scented things onto a spearo's boat, you will never be welcome or trusted again. I have heard all the arguments about it being a furphy, but just dont do it. I have also seen it backfire pretty badly on smarties who try it or think they are being funny by smuggling bananas on board. Another superstition is people changing plans like dates or destinations for spearfishing trips, the old hands will usually just can the whole thing & start again without those making changes, rather than risk bad luck. I do this as my default now, if someone trys to change plans, I just scratch it & start again without them, to not do this is asking for trouble as they will surely continue this behaviour on the trip. There are lots of little signs & omens, sometimes subtle, but we shouldnt ignore them.
Probably
you are absolutely right sharkey , probably not in all that much danger , but having said that , this particular individual was in feeding mode , was pretty close to 14 ft long ( too hard to tell if scalloped or Great ) and have been known to bite the odd spearo before. Gut instinct as you put it is certainly there for a reason ( an age old survival instinct ) my point to all the younger lads out there is LISTEN to it as it could very well get you home with your foot still attached to your body . Our main concern funnily enough at this particular spot is accidentally stumbling in to a saltwater crocodile hiding on the bottom

Reactions: foxfish
We are also a superstitious bunch, bananas are a good example, dont even think about bringing a banana, or banana branded, flavoured or scented things onto a spearo's boat, you will never be welcome or trusted again.

Hey Sharkey, what's the thing with bananas? Never heard about that! :D

Luck and Karma are very real, both the good and bad kinds. I once left the scene of a sailboat going up on a reef. The captain had tried something really stupid, it was very calm, I could not figure how to help him without endangering my boat and crew, and there was another boat on the way(in sight) that was far better set up to safely help the idiot. So said my my inner excuse maker. The next three days included some of the worst screwups in my boating history. Almost killed one of my buddies.

Beware of bad Karma.

Bananas are simply bad luck for spearos & boats. Some people think they are being smart & try to hide them or chance it, but in the end it always turns out bad in some way. If you want to offend your mates or a professional crew & never be welcome on a boat again, just bring bananas.

Bananas are simply bad luck for spearos & boats. Some people think they are being smart & try to hide them or chance it, but in the end it always turns out bad in some way. If you want to offend your mates or a professional crew & never be welcome on a boat again, just bring bananas.

Lol, ok. Bananas are “ladies fruits” anyways, sooo... But is there a background story to the banana thing?

Lol, I get it. Watch out for bananas. :)
I won’t bring any when diving.

I've also heard the same about boiled eggs. Superstitious lot aren't we?

Me personally; I don't believe in superstition - it's bad luck. :p:D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT