• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Zip up surfer-style wetsuit, (7-8mm) for freediving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

HooSlayer

Oct 20, 2018
I feel crazy because I seem to be the only person in the freediving world that is literally in pain from having a strap, strapped super tightly around my genitals and then yanked on for hours while I"m diving. I can't understand how this is the standard freediving wetsuit and everyone else isn't in pain from it, except for perhaps women.

Anyways, I simply can't do this anymore, ive been using these suits, many different models, thicknesses and brands, for years and it ruins my diving and feels like I was kicked in the groin while diving for long periods.

I would switch to a zip up surfer style suit, and even some freedive/spearfishing brands make open cell suits like this, but they have no hood. I dive in very cold water requiring an 8mm suit (its mainly 99% spearfishing), and the only thing that seems to be a water tight solution that covers your whole body (hood included) are the standard freediving suits that I"m trying to avoid.

Does anyone know of a a suit design or brands or model I should look at to solve my problem but will be warm and not let water into the suit??

Thanks,

Reactions: DiveHacker
If you really don't like the idea of the hood being separate, I would look into modifying the strap. For instance climbing harnesses and 6-point racing harnesses have two straps that hold closer to the inside of the the leg. These types of harnesses are largely used in the sitting position so it may not be as effective or comfortable.

JMJ wetsuits in Torrance makes a one piece that might suit you. I wore their custom suits for many years. This model is called the Predator.

Attachments

• predator.JPG
    predator.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 242
DSC0015-.JPG

I have been in contact with a custom suit maker. They proposed this model where basically there is no beaver tail, and its a longjohn, a top (but no beaver tail, just ends like shirt), then you but these tight bicyclie type shorts over the shirt and bottoms to hold it all together.

My concern would be that when i lift my arms, the top of the suit becomes untucked, just like tucking in a tshirt very tightly then you lift your arms and the shirt comes out and has a loose bulge after.

What do you guys thing of this, anyone know of anybody that has used them?

@Bill, thanks I wasn't aware of those designs, that might be the ticket. I will take a look at those too.

If the top and bottom were smooth skin I would think the shorts would hold well enough to not get a muffin top.

If the top and bottom were smooth skin I would think the shorts would hold well enough to not get a muffin top.
I "would think" is kinda iffy for spending $500 to $700 on some custom very rare suit. I dive around a lot of rocks and treacherous entries where you get through into rocks and the waves through you up onto jagged rocks. when exiting the water, so smooth skin won't last long....but at this point I'm desperate and might just settle for smooth skin and have to glue holes that form. What about, non-smoothskin bottoms, smooth skin top only? The inside of the shorts will be open cell rubber so that will stick tightly to the smooth skin top, the bottoms shouldn't matter if they have a neoprene layer outside right? The bottoms are the part that take the most abuse when I am washed onto the rocks by the surf and have to sit on rocks etc. thanks.

I hate the freediving equipment too. I feel it’s way less comfortable and I feel like an idiot in a diaper in it

If you get washed into rocks often that might be another reason to try the JMJ suit. I don't know what rubber they use, but its not quite as soft and stretchy as some of the latest Yamamoto, and therefore not quite as fragile. As an afterthought I'm attaching one more photo in case you wondered if water might seep through that cross chest zipper. There is a bib
attached below the zipper opening and you pull that over your head from the front before pulling the hood over from the back.Its very effective at preventing cold seeps.

Attachments

• wetsuit2 copy.JPG
    wetsuit2 copy.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 242
Reactions: HooSlayer
I hate the freediving equipment too. I feel it’s way less comfortable and I feel like an idiot in a diaper in it
My feelings.exactly. besides feeling like I've been kicked in the nuts I've been laughed at by surfers and girls on the beach for the diaper.

I don't even button it up anymore until I'm right about to enter the water since then.

One time a group of surfers was like he dude nice pajamas and they all laughed.....I was tempted to swim under him later as he laid in his board and yank his leg to make him think it was a shark but they would've ganged up on me.

I domt get how they havnt come up with something better.

Last edited:
Because I have the same problem, I glue in an extension to the beavertail. It gets rid of the problem for me. I glue in a piece of rubber from an old suit using wetsuit glue. A little too long is probably better than too short.

Because I have the same problem, I glue in an extension to the beavertail. It gets rid of the problem for me. I glue in a piece of rubber from an old suit using wetsuit glue. A little too long is probably better than too short.
Yea but doesn't water leak into the suit then? Im.diving in freezing water I can't afford that.

I have never tried Farmer John bottoms, perhaps it's possible to have the top half 3 mil and bottom 7 mil. Then having no beaver tail wouldn't be as big of an issue.

It’s certainly possible to have different thicknesses toop and bottom with farmer John bottoms but the top will still have a beavertail to hold it down.

Extending the length of the beavertail does not make a suit colder, unless the extension is too long. I dive in water 46-52F year-round and have no problem. It's very different from leaving the b beavertail unattached.
Getting it the right length can be time consuming can be a problem, but the result is worth it.

How about wearing a hood-attached vest under a normal dive/surf wetsuit or going semi-dry? FYI in the early days we all had to dive in two-piece suits with a 'jock strap'. Have you considered surgery on your genitals? :giggle:

Why don't you unscrew and move the buckles on the beavertail? Maybe you have a very long torso, and the beavertail is too short. You can move the buttons a few centimeters. You just need a screwdriver.

I doubt that a lined surf wetsuit with a zipper will keep you as warm as a 2 piece open cell suit.
Water will seep in from the zipper and the one piece will not feel as warm and flexible

My guess is that you have a long torso. I have the same problem, so with one piece swimsuits although I'm only 5ft 3ins I have to get them from Long Tall Sally, a store for 6ft ladies.
So......find out if there any sellers with long torso wet suits, (neosport are supposed to be longer I've heard). If not maybe find out how much a made to measure might be?
If you measure from your shoulder between your legs and back up to shoulder you might be able to have a discussion with sellers to see if their suit would fit.
Good luck

Reactions: stefpix
My guess is that you have a long torso. I have the same problem, so with one piece swimsuits although I'm only 5ft 3ins I have to get them from Long Tall Sally, a store for 6ft ladies.
So......find out if there any sellers with long torso wet suits, (neosport are supposed to be longer I've heard). If not maybe find out how much a made to measure might be?
If you measure from your shoulder between your legs and back up to shoulder you might be able to have a discussion with sellers to see if their suit would fit.
Good luck

That's my guess too.

The clips on the beaver tail can be removed with a screwdriver and repositioned. It is simple to do. I have a long torso as well, but did not to do that.

A single piece wetsuit in cold water would not really insulate as well the lower back.

It is not a real problem, as with a minor easy DIY alteration it can be solved.

Plenty of room on the beaver tail to move the clips.

So many surfing wetsuits actually look dorky and are impractical and stiff

I have a long torso and short legs and that's one of the reasons I need custom suits. Maybe a custom suit would solve the problem.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT