• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freediving fins for girls

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Veeg

Sep 8, 2008
can anyone recommend some entry-level freediving fins particularly suitable for girls with small feet (UK size 4)?? Am i right in thinking that more flexible fins will be easier to fin with and control? cheers for any advice

Welcome to DB, Veeg! It is always useful trying first the Search function in the menu. And especially at such common questions, where you can expect it was discussed more than once. You would find plenty of threads with a lot of useful information, without the need of waiting for the answer. For example these ones can help, but there are certainly many more of them:
http://forums.deeperblue.com/bi-fins/59852-small-size-fins.html
http://forums.deeperblue.com/bi-fins/65121-freediving-fins-small-feet.html
http://forums.deeperblue.com/goods-sale/68824-need-small-fins.html
http://forums.deeperblue.com/bi-fins/64011-small-freediving-fins-woman.html
http://forums.deeperblue.com/bi-fins/39044-fins-small-feet.html
http://forums.deeperblue.com/bi-fins/30509-freediving-fins-small-feet.html
http://forums.deeperblue.com/bi-fins/18062-small-fins.html

I just looked at 4 of these threads and three of the threads had been answered with 'use the search function' or not answered at all.

My fiance just bought some sporasub fins, they were the best fit that she found and have a soft footpocket.

My sporasubs split and i bought some Omer footpockets from the deeperblue shop. I find them much softer and more comfortable than the Sporasubs. I am also a size 4, and wear the Omer 38-40 with 3mm socks and fin straps.

Works well for me.

Reactions: apneaboy
I just looked at 4 of these threads and three of the threads had been answered with 'use the search function' or not answered at all.
Yes, that's very likely. People do continue asking such FAQ's indeed frequently without checking the archives first, just like you did, hence there is then big number of them without replies, because resident members either do not have anything new to tell to the topic, or do not see any point in rehashing the many times led discussion, repeating themselves.

You should perhaps rather should be thankful that others did the search for you, and pointed you to threads with relevant information, than complaining that some of the links ended in threads without answer :)

The list of links I posted above contains also several threads with useful information. For completing or updating the information that is missing, for additional questions, it is the best selecting the most complete thread and continuing the discussion there, rather than opening a new thread with the topic identical to many existing ones. It makes then easier to find it for other newbies searching the information. As you saw yourself, it may be enervating having to browse through several redundant empty threads, or threads repeating identical information. It is much better avoiding those empty threads and rather having all the relevant information in only one that is the easy to spot.

Just my 2 cents

No worries, this sort of thing always makes me think of this joke though...

How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the light bulb and 1 to post that the light bulb has been
changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light
bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

53 to flame the spell checkers

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb"

... another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb"
is perfectly correct

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation
of their "acceptable use policy"

109 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this
discussion to a lightbulb forum

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and
lightbulb forum about changing light bulbs be stopped

111 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs
and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy
the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique
and what brands are faulty

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the
corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this
group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all
headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot
handle the light bulb controversy

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ

44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about
light bulbs"

1 new forum member to respond to the original post 6 months from now and
start it all over again

First I must qualify my remarks by stating that I have huge, manly feet which consider pain a refreshing repast.

But I digress (haha - I chuckle to myself, as if talking about glorious me could ever be a digression!)

Cressi Gara footpockets are really nice if they fit you - as are the Omers which Sarah mentioned. (I never knew she had such small feet ... I find it strangely...) ahem.. anyway. She's a really experienced diver so her advice is well taken. I did not like the sporasub pockets I had, I found them boxy and they made embarrassing sloshing sounds when I swam. I also agree that soft blades are a good idea.

I tried finding this for my gf (size 5 US)...so difficult!

Had to get a super thick bootie. Anybody have any advice on longfins for women?

Erik

Breier makes both monofins and bi-fins also with custom made foot-pockets, so small foot won't be any issue. Same goes for several other manufacturers offering custom fins (mostly those who produce both monofins and bi-fins - like SpecialFins, etc.)

I´ve seen a bunch of girls wearing C4 at a freediving course in sharm el sheikh. So I guess they fit.

When long fins first came out we had the other problem. They only came in two's. Too small and way too small. Slit the foot pocket, add grommets and use shoe laces made them work fine. If you want to experiment a little, talk to a shoemaker. He has material to add a lift under or maybe even over your foot. 10-15 mm of this and fin keepers (velcro straps are better than the standard ones in every way) should do the trick. It takes an extra minute to get in the water,. Big deal.

I cannot believe that the main freediving fin manufacturers still think that this sport is restricted to men and that women with small feet are still such a minority that it is not worth their while to produce small fins.
I am a freediving Instructor and have size 36 feet, I do NOT want to keep wearing socks all my freediving life and would like to have plastic fins in a size 36/37.
I recently have had at least 6 students with small feet and I have had to tell them that their quest to buy small fins will be hassle and leave them with little choice in make and manufacturer, not a good selling point for freediving!

I wear Omer Ice which have; after 2 years of heavy use, snapped in half just the other day leaving me with not a lot of choice but to buy replacement blades for my omer foot pockets after lots of searching on the internet for small fins came up with only 2 other manufacturers of plastic blades. What I would like is maybe Cressi gara's in my size, a very popular fin which could be even more popular if they went down a few sizes :)
Come on Cressi, Beuchat, Mares (She Dive Range for goodness sake!), Omer and all the rest...wake up and realise that some of the best freedivers in the world have small feet.

Reactions: lynnea and Milan
I cannot believe that the main freediving fin manufacturers still think that this sport is restricted to men and that women with small feet are still such a minority that it is not worth their while to produce small fins.
I am a freediving Instructor and have size 36 feet, I do NOT want to keep wearing socks all my freediving life and would like to have plastic fins in a size 36/37.
I recently have had at least 6 students with small feet and I have had to tell them that their quest to buy small fins will be hassle and leave them with little choice in make and manufacturer, not a good selling point for freediving!

I wear Omer Ice which have; after 2 years of heavy use, snapped in half just the other day leaving me with not a lot of choice but to buy replacement blades for my omer foot pockets after lots of searching on the internet for small fins came up with only 2 other manufacturers of plastic blades. What I would like is maybe Cressi gara's in my size, a very popular fin which could be even more popular if they went down a few sizes :)
Come on Cressi, Beuchat, Mares (She Dive Range for goodness sake!), Omer and all the rest...wake up and realise that some of the best freedivers in the world have small feet.

Hi, i'm have size 37 feet and i'm intending to get omer mill fins. should i get them with 3mm or 5mm socks? also, are there other brands that have foot pockets in smaller sizes? :)

Lol at Sara's reply :)

Isn't it unsafe to dive with long fins if you have small feet? I mean if you break a fin at depth you won't be able to fin to the surface with one big fin and one small foot. You'll get so much more propulsion from the fin that you'll end up swimming in circles.

If you have small feet and using long Freediving fins, always have a competent buddy with big feet watch over you in case you are stuck swimming in a circle
Posted via Mobile Device

Isn't it unsafe to dive with long fins if you have small feet? I mean if you break a fin at depth you won't be able to fin to the surface with one big fin and one small foot. You'll get so much more propulsion from the fin that you'll end up swimming in circles.
I wonder why freedivers are scared of breaking a fin at depth. If you compare performances with and without fins, they are very close each to other, and at most people it is the equalization that limits them in depth anyway. It means if you break a fin, you can remove the other one too and go up without fins. If you additionally drop the weight belt, there won't be any problem at all.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT