• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Famed Magician In Freediving World Record Stunt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Paul,

Thought your latest article was great! Especially enjoyed the New York colour. Keep up the good work.

Pete

There was a brief piece on the Discovery Channel (Canada) about this. The way the media is selling it is if he succeeds in holding his breath for 9mins (yes, 9), he shall "own the world record".

He's wearing a full hat with comms on TV today, so he'd easily sleep in that. I have heard of commercial divers sleeping with regs in their mouths during in-water deco though.
People poo-poo this guy, but he does some unbearable stuff! Just being in that distorted-view ball would be enough for most to go nuts fast.
Peace,
Erik Y.

Hey Paul,

Give any of us 4 months training on Davids budget and his support set up and we could all sit in a sphere for a week. In fact its easy for David, its what he does for a living and he is experienced in winning the mind game. In fact seriously, I bet any number of us could do it without the four months training and a handful would do a genuine world record static afterwards. Just lend us the sphere when he is done with it. One difference only....nobody would take the least bit of notice. The greatness of this stunt is not the stunt but the attention its getting for such a brilliantly simply idea. The idea is king.

I think you are wrong Haydn. I think it would be hard for most of us to stay on one spot for 7 days. Only a few people have the mental power to do what Blain is doing.
As for comparing his hold to 8'58'' WR is just wrong if he is not going to do it under same conditions. And it sure is not "longer than any human being".

Still it should be interesting to watch but its going to be hard to get it in Europe. Does anybody know if ABC is can be received over satelite? I cant find the frequencies nowhere.

efattah said:
...the longest breath hold with a huge audience and huge pressure is Stephane Mifsud's 8'28" done in Monaco, which had about 1,000 spectators including the Prince of Monaco, plus hundreds more spectators live on the internet through the live online feed.

I have just put a video of Monaco on my website. There you can see the last 60 seconds of Stephane Mifsuds unbelievable spectacle...
greetings wolle

http://www.freedivers.info/wolle/apnoepics.htm (iwc video)

Last edited:
so does anyone have any idea of the breathing aparatus he is using, what gas mix or range of mixes, and how will he make the transition between scuba and breath hold

My geuss that his electolytes will get out of kilter, he will already be in some sort of sodium/potsassium/ calcium imbalance after 7 days in water.

be interesting to know if he is taking any drugs to go with it

I geuss they will change the water, if he is going to pee in it .....
will he take high volume oxygen?

Erik said:
Just being in that distorted-view ball would be enough for most to go nuts fast.
I guess that's where David Blaine takes his advantage... He's already nuts... :t

There ya go - good press for freediving :)

I tell ya true - I'd LOVE 7 days fasting in a sphere full of water in Manhatten. Where I come from we call that a vacation! I'm sure Blaine is diggin it too.

Nice video! I see that he already did a lot of number 1's... The water isn't that crystal clear anymore. I wonder if we can still see him in a few days... Maybe that's the big trick... He will disappear!

I heard he was gonna like Turn into this giant squid thing and like hatch out of the bubble!? And then Like terrorize manhatten and dive into the water and like the navy would be hunting him and merchant shipping would get all messed up and he'd like probably eat a cruise ship and then we'll like have to ask help from the russians and the Iranians with their supercavitating torpedos. Pretty soon we'll all be united against the Blaine Menace, world peace and harmony will be achieved and we'll declare him a Saint and build statues of him half-squid.

Reactions: DeepThought
just came from there- I meet Kirk - Martin and Mandy

Kirk is a very humble person-

he was explaining everything before the TV Camera concerning david perfom
and the danger it can be form him -ect ect

there was a lot of TV cameras all the way around and people

also there was to diferent group of musician playing clasical music and Jazz
the director of the sinfonica before he start the concert put on his face a swimming mask I told him to pose for me and took him a photo

It was a lot of fun

Paul where were you I didn't see you

I will be there next monday for the last part ! Uhmm

Uhm is not easy to be in water for so long

I heard Kirk saying that david sleep like 3 hours por day

30 minutes and them he wake up--- and then go for olmost 30 minutes

is not very easy to be inside that tank for so long without sleeping
also people visiting the esfera and talking to david all the time
no counting the TV Camera

is have to be stressfull

so does anyone have any idea of the breathing aparatus he is using
__

well he use diferent apartatos a regular mask-- and another big mask that look like a cosmonauta and from there he can eat fluid and talk to people from out side

I thing david is gonig to be the first 4 minutes in static and them he will trying to take up his chain until he got to 9 minutes ! or

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT