• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Famed Magician In Freediving World Record Stunt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
snip

Why look at Blaine as somehow competing? He's performing.[/quote]

Thank you. You hit the nail on the head. Blaine is not a freediver, but an entertainer/illusionist. He's entertaining people who will watch in fascination and say "wow!" as he holds his breath for, perhaps, 10 plus minutes. Did he really do it? That's secondary to the illusion that he did it. Any mention of PFI or freediving will be great. Most people are not concerned enough either in one direction or other about freediving. They don't care! They don't think about it. On another note, i doubt Blaine will claim the worlds longest static apnea time if he breaks Tom's record, because it will be an illusion and he knows that. He'll take a bow and that will be the end of it.

Hi Eric,

I'm not suggesting that if Aida is not there it must be a deception. But the reverse: If it is a deception, then Aida must not be there.

I am still concerned that there is something fishy going on. But mostly I believe this whole event is so fantastic it eclipses most of the comments we have read here. All our doubts and worries about validity etc are of little consequence when compared to the history making event now in progress. Kirk is proving to be everything he is kracked up to be. The real story here is Kirks, not Davids. Yes, I am bothered because I dont know the truth of it. But thats the whole idea, we must never know the truth of it because the mystery is what David is sellling. And remember, this event will help to sell his next one.

Eric said, "Just because someone doesn't invite AIDA, it doesn't mean anything." Try telling that to Aida. Not inviting Aida is like not inviting your mum to your wedding. Is PFI bigger than Aida?

Kirk, I am being delibereratly argumentative, not personally unfriendly. I really respect this whole event, fly it as high as you can.

My latest guess. David will black out on purpose and remain submerged until you pull him out in accordance with the contracted time already in agreement.

Actually, having re read that last remark, its really dumb. But the headlines would be bigger.

Last edited:
"Anything seems big if you look at it close enough"

Last edited:
Some clarifications:

- David's initial training (to 5'30") was actually done in Vancouver with most of the Vancouver club members watching.... so the fact that he is training is not in question

- Having said that, the press release itself says that the event will culminate in a 'life saving rescue....'

- Further, at a gathering in Vancouver, inside information indicates the event may very well be rigged to stun -- by rigged I don't expect a successful performance, in fact I would guess that it would be made to appear as though David almost makes the record and then nearly dies (with spectacular life saving rescue)

- David has already entered the sphere of water (1pm May 1, eastern time)

Further, at a gathering in Vancouver, inside information indicates the event may very well be rigged to stun -- by rigged I don't expect a successful performance, in fact I would guess that it would be made to appear as though David almost makes the record and then nearly dies (with spectacular life saving rescue)

Now that would be really nice, my whole family, and my friends, gather to watch this on TV and the show ends in a huge BLACK OUT and involves the use of extensive life saving support, complete with 02 and a defib unit to bring him back to life, and there goes any chance of me being able to freedive on a local charter boat again- plus, I might see my wife sell off all my stuff on E-Bay when I'm not around to notice it.:rcard

I hope this doesn't give the sport an even bigger black eye than Pipin already has.:head The first thing people always ask about when they hear that I'm a freediver is about that "lady who died". This is especially true if the person happens to be a scuba diver to begin with.

How about some more positive promotion of the sport- like Jessica Alba in her bikini and Ice fins.:inlove

Jon

Jon,

Right after Blaine's stunt ends, and your wife is done watching it, please have her call me.

Jim

P.S. Does she have a PAYPAL account?

:)

Heard on the British news a couple of hours ago that the stunt will end with Blaine having to escape from being tied hand and foot with chains whilst holding his breath.

I'm starting to see why they didn't need AIDA there...

Blaine's final breath-hold will be a trick. I do know it. Pure and simple. And, of course, Kirk, and the whole PFI know it too. There is absolutely no doubt about it. I tend to believe that Blaine has exceptional will-power and is an amazing athlete, and I am also willing to believe that he is able to to keep his breath for 5+ or even 7+ minutes after just a short but intensive training.

However, it was already uncovered that his final attempt will be pure trickery. After staying 7 days submerged in 8 feet of water (2.4m), even if his head is rather close to the surface, the lungs and the rest of the body will be deeper and hence the body will be pretty saturated with Nitrogen. For this simple reason he will have to breath pure Oxygen or another Oxygen-rich and Nitrogen-free gas mixture to avoid a decompression accident when suddenly surfacing after the final apnea record attempt. It means the final "record" breath-hold will be performed under Oxygen, so it will be no problem for Blaine to achieve a "shocking" 10+ minutes static apnea "world record". And he won't compare it with Tom's 15+ minutes O2 record, but rather with AIDA's official static apnea record.

Jon said:
How about some more positive promotion of the sport- like Jessica Alba in her bikini and Ice fins.:inlove

Jon

I thought about her during a static. I couldn't hold beyond 30 secs. Metabolism up.rofl

trux said:
Blaine's final breath-hold will be a trick. I do know it. Pure and simple. And, of course, Kirk, and the whole PFI know it too. There is absolutely no doubt about it. I tend to believe that Blaine has exceptional will-power and is an amazing athlete, and I am also willing to believe that he is able to to keep his breath for 5+ or even 7+ minutes after just a short but intensive training.

However, it was already uncovered that his final attempt will be pure trickery. After staying 7 days submerged in 8 feet of water (2.4m), even if his head is rather close to the surface, the lungs and the rest of the body will be deeper and hence the body will be pretty saturated with Nitrogen. For this simple reason he will have to breath pure Oxygen or another Oxygen-rich and Nitrogen-free gas mixture to avoid a decompression accident when suddenly surfacing after the final apnea record attempt. It means the final "record" breath-hold will be performed under Oxygen, so it will be no problem for Blaine to achieve a "shocking" 10+ minutes static apnea "world record". And he won't compare it with Tom's 15+ minutes O2 record, but rather with AIDA's official static apnea record.

I agree that his breath hold will be an illusion in some way. The above scenerio is one possibility. Remember, he's doing it for the general population for entertainment only.

I don't believe there'd be any deco obligation from the few feet under water. Just a guess. When I used to scuba dive, I remember seeing 9+ hours of remaining bottom time on my computer once I hit my 15' safety stop after reasonably deep dives. Maybe an expert will comment.
Peace,
Erik Y.

Hi All!

It has also hit the Danish news now and in one of them today it states “Quote” Mens han holder vejret, vil han samtidig forsøge at undslippe 67,5 kilo lænker og håndjern i en finale, der bliver transmitteret direkte i et to timer langt show på den amerikanske tv-station ABC.
“Unquote”
Translated: “While holding his breath, He’ll try to escape from 67,5 Kilo of chains and handcuffs, this finale will be transmitted live in a 2 hour show on the American TV station ABC”
This is not bad, not only does he have to beat Tom’s 8:58 (which was done with max relaxing) but he have to do a major escape at the same time, if he can do this, imagine what he can do under relaxed conditions!!!!!!! (Guess he’ll be at the next competition)
I guess that we have all misunderstood and David instead of going for Tom’s world record is going for the “7 day’s on SCUBA followed by submerged static while escaping from heavy chains” record which is NOT AIDA approved :)
He is a joke!

My guess is that since he couldn't beat the 8'58", they changed it to 'escape from chains....'

Breathing pure O2 prior to the 'escape from chains', he could probably struggle with great effort for 6+ minutes, making a spectacular show.

I heard they were going to throw some sharks in there for good measure.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT