• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Objects found while freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Objects found

While on scuba, not freediving:

Mostly fishing tackle, nets and lines (I keep my tackle box stocked with sinkers and swivels this way)

A friend with once found a wedding ring at 125', I found a necklace once (cheap though, nothing of real value).

At the local quarry: knives, masks weights, weight belts, snorkels, and a couple of computers (an Aladdin and a Suunto). Returned both of the computers to the folks that lost them, kept a snorkel when I couldn't find the owners, and left most of the other stuff in the lost and found box.

Two large boxes of face mask, snorkels, a variety of weights, and assorted plastic toys have accumulated in the back of my car. I ususally give masks away to the local kids,but have been asked to save them for my friends. I often wonder about the people who discarded the weights. Currently we are getting prepared to raise a 6 foot long anchor from the ocean bottom for acollector friend.

One spring I dropped a wristwatch (Timemex) into about 16 feet of murky water about 100 yards off shore. A year later a friend of mine found it while we were swiming near the same spot- It was covered with seaweed and barnacles, but still running and with the correct time.

Reactions: donmoore
Just a scuba mask, so far, although I've seen a few other things. Oh yeah, and a 1950's (approx) square sided medicine bottle. The mask I've kept as a spare or loaner - it's waaaaay too large (and high volume to boot) and although I recovered the bottle as well, I can't seem to find where my husband has put it, now that I cleaned it all up...........

Reactions: donmoore
Found a nylon weight belt with 8 kg of lead today. The funny thing is it was in 2 feet of water, but buried under the sand with the strap sticking out. Now visiting buddies don't have to bring their weights! :)

Adrian

I found three timex watches on one breath. Velcro watch bands seem to let loose in the water. Also found a cash register and the hammer that had been used to open it.

I just came from malta, where I found Sporasub Footpocket, just the kind I lost some summers ago.. :) gotta love the sea, takes and gives it seems..:p

Pekka

Fish Jones......

:cool:
---- I don't know if this counts, but seeing how the hunters here are getting a bit anxious....
Sunday I found a school of young White Seabass!!! They were too small to go for, but were beautiful to see, just the same.

Ahh...that is most sublime.....

Adrian :)

Have found

In Greek waters

Dozens difused WWII Mines.

Hundreds WWII Plane bombs difused and unexploded. Actually had to decide whether to shoot an octopus holed up in the end of an unexploded one this one time. Obviously I didnt.

Debris of Warships.

The occasional plane (7 sofar).

A 3.5m unexploded torpedo buried in the sand of a little uninhabited island, that I originally mistaked for a dead dolphin.

2 ancient anchors made of marble and shaped as triangular prisms with a hole in each apex. Currently in museum.

Various amphore fragments that I have used a crowbar to wrench out.

In Cyprus waters:

One beatiful large amphore unbroken that is standing in my living room this moment.

Reactions: Jon
Just got back from a dive w/ a 'new' loaded .357 ss re-useable powerhead. Was hoping hey weren't illegal as I pictured the look on the police man's face when I explained how I just happened to find it...I swear.

found a whole skeleton of a fish, from head to tail, all intact. looked like a giant grouper. 1,2m long. bones completely clean.
was a bit scared with it at the safety stop, it seemed to be quite freshly 'defleshed'.

3 years found a Citizen divewatch, still working! gave it to the compressor tender, he still uses it to this day.

Reactions: w3ac
All manner of dive/freediving gear

A DPV (yeah that was a good one)

Assorted knives: diving, hunting, fishing & kitchen types

Spearguns & 3 prongs

Lobster bodies (no tails)

Shoes

Anchors, both "real" ones as well as homemade/improvised ones

Digital camera (no housing....ooops)

Sunglasses

Watches

Money (both bills and coins)

Jewelry

A whole turtle skeleton in a small cave

Batteries (both big car battieries as well as small alkaline types)

The remains of a boat

The remains of an airplane

Intact airplane (twin engine)

Bicycles (five)

Cars (seven so far)

Front axle of a car

Engine blocks (three from autos, one from an airplane and two from boats)

Aviation control cables

Transmission (two autos, one airplane, one marine)

WW2 tank (upright and intact...and FULL of fish)

Unexploded ordinance

Fishing nets/commercial fishing related debris

More just general trash (bottles, cans, etc) than you can really imagine.....

Originally posted by BlueWaveC
The remains of an airplane

Intact airplane (twin engine)

Engine blocks (three from autos, one from an airplane and two from boats)

Aviation control cables

Transmission (two autos, one airplane, one marine)

Remind me not to fly to Hawaii...:hmm

Reactions: drunkinbda
Very entertaining thread. I once found an intact, and rather old, camera in about 10m of water. No film :(... It's a nice looking camera... very heavy, with a detachable lens. It's a little rusty at the metal seams and the mechanics are shot, but people ask about it all the time and it's fun to tell the story.

ok this was on scuba...found on friday

did a shark get this guys SMB? found on the bottom at 33m

My father found a traffic speed sign.

Attachments

• 90.gif
    90.gif
    2 KB · Views: 528
Shaneshac,
In 2002 you wrote:

It appears that everyone finds golf balls. I have about eight at home from various dive spots. Some quite far offshore. Weirdest thing is there isn't even a golf course in Gibraltar HEHEHE

The reason you find golfballs at Gibraltar is, partly, because of the US Navy. I'm in the Navy and every time we go through the STROG we have a flight deck picnic and there is always someone hitting a bucket of golfballs over the side. Just in case you're curious.

John David

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT