• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

URGENT breath hold TV world record

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Go on Simos, i'll sponsor you a tenner if you go for this one :)

I'm admittedly more likely to die trying than make it to 1:30 mins. :) For a tenner i'd do it - maybe I should come to your comp in March just to attempt this ;-)

Haydn - sorry mate, I agree it's not as easy as it seems but you have to admit it's a somewhat 'silly' record (don't mean it in a bad way, just a record for fun) and to most people on this thread (I say most to exclude myself) it would be a piece of cake to break assuming they could be bothered to learn how to juggle.

Last edited:
Hey Simos, I reckon you will know Marcus at NoTanx. I bet Marcus can juggle three balls underwater. Get him (a trained apneaist) to try it and then judge whether this is a stunt or a valid and difficult record. Lets not knock it. Nobody will waste two minutes of their life by taking an interest in any area of an apnea event that we would generally not come across.

Merlin has a 5 minute static time and can only manage 90 seconds juggling. You may be right though if a 10 minute static could be taught to juggle. Just notice what happened when the trained finswimmers from Russia came over and showed us how to do real dynamic distance. 15 years ago we thought we were good at 100 meters and didnt realise the Russian finswimmers were doing these distances back to back.

Could a trained apneist get a new world record in underwater juggling.........?

Last edited:
Hey Simos, I reckon you will know Marcus at NoTanx. I bet Marcus can juggle three balls underwater. Get him (a trained apneaist) to try it and then judge whether this is a stunt or a valid and difficult record. Lets not knock it. Nobody will waste two minutes of their life by taking an interest in any area of an apnea event that we would generally not come across.

Merlin has a 5 minute static time and can only manage 90 seconds juggling. You may be right though if a 10 minute static could be taught to juggle. Just notice what happened when the trained finswimmers from Russia came over and showed us how to do real dynamic distance. 15 years ago we thought we were good at 100 meters and didnt realise the Russian finswimmers were doing these distances back to back.

Could a trained apneist get a new world record in underwater juggling.........?

I was joking about the wasting 2 mins of their life - I clearly probably spent more time than anyone in this thread looking into this already lol

But please don't try and convince me it's any kind of meaningful record. It didn't prove anything regarding apnea capacity, nor juggling ability. It's just a stunt.

Also I am willing to bet that a trained apneist with a decent STA that can juggle can easily break 90 seconds! Do a YouTube search, you might find others that can do this too.

In fact I just tried 'juggling' two stress balls (sorry can't juggle 3) out of curiosity with zero prep and I could make 1:30 on the first attempt (and more).

Just to put it in context - I have a pathetic STA, haven't trained in a couple of months (and never did any intensive freediving training anyway) and I hate dry holds.

Unless something makes it A LOT more difficult when 3 balls are involved and when in the water, I would say that a top freediver could easily do 3 times that (ie ~4-5 mins).

By the way no disrespect to Merlin or anything, I just don't think it's as hard or impressive to be considered a serious WR but for entertainment purposes sure, why not.

As a bit of fun, why don't you guys try to juggle in apnea even with 2 balls and see what times we get even on here :)

Last edited:
These are not utterly pointless record attempts but catch the imagination of a professional entertainer, its his job. Cant wait to see the result.

There's a point to juggling underwater? Seriously? Uhm, like what? Being able to manage three balls underwater seems fruitless to me. Two makes sense, that's just washing in the bath, hygiene is important after all.
And the result? Well, there are a few options, he'll sink, and get Eric's death record. He'll float, and also get it. He'll drop a ball and in effect drop the ball, but console himself that he really wasn't doing anything with a point anyway, or he'll juggle them for the time and, uhm, sorry, I'm lost here, what was the point again?

Even if he died it would still count as a Guinness WR. Actually they have a special record category for that, longest underwater juggle with death occurring at the end...
Go on Simos, i'll sponsor you a tenner if you go for this one :)

Oh my god, this nearly made me cry. One of the funniest things EVER posted.roflrofl

He is a previous Guiness world record holder for underwater juggling. Semi finalist in Britains got Talent. So this is his job, not a hobby.
I thought Steve was the only professional d'head in here.

Reactions: apneaboy
Come on Guys. We have all seen fantastic, entertaining and extremely skilled juggling acts and performances. The point is, as a professional entertainer, this is the point of it all. Merlin has a professional interest in thios aspect of his skill set and in apnea and seeks this sites advice. Asuming we are the apnea experts....

We dont go around and pour cold water on the top opera singers, who also have an active apnea training base. lets not scoff at Merlin.

But I agree, get a top apneaist who can juggle and it might well blow Merlins records out of the water in exactly the same way as trained swimmers and finswimmers did in blowing our feeble dynamic efforts out of the water.

I would think that juggling three balls is ten times harder than juggling two. And doing so underwater is probably far more exerting than our dynamics. Think about it....you can juggle two balls for 90 seconds and 3 balls for less than 5 seconds. Now try it underwater and I bet you drop the first ball

I cant juggle, I am sure someone on here can. Lets hear about it.

Is 90 seconds too short a time to be considered a serious record? I dont think so, in the same way as a few years ago the UK constant record was a paltry 50m. (try telling Lee Donnelly that his UK records were not serious or Brett Le Masters World Records were not deep enough. Records are made to be bettered as and when the skills are understood and trained for.

If we are the apnea masters, lets see if our skills are broad based enough to beat Merlin.

Come on guys, there is a Guiness record entry for someone out there.

Last edited:
We dont go around and pour cold water on the top opera singers, who also have an active apnea training base. lets not scoff at Merlin.

I would think that juggling three balls is ten times harder than juggling two. And doing so underwater is probably far more exerting than our dynamics.

First point, that's my new sport, underwater opera, I'm off.

2nd point, there are videos of people hndling 4, 6 and even 8 balls with water involved in plenty of videos online

8:30pm
December 15th.
New Malden Pool.
World Record Attempt.
5 Apneists will attempt to break the current world record for underwater juggling..

Info@NoTanx.com for more details.

Merlin only managed 70 seconds. It seems the show was broadcast as the worlds longest underwater radio show by British Forces Radio and Merlin was invited to be a part of it.

There we go, Marcus. 5 people, thats a great test.

December 15th.
New Malden Pool.
World Record Attempt.
5 Apneists will attempt to break the current world record for underwater juggling..

Great, this means i can at last attempt to break the world record for sitting and laughing at the bottom of the pool wearing a santa hat while eating pop-corn and watching 5 apneists attempt to break the world record for underwater juggling :)

Last edited:
Merlin only managed 70 seconds. It seems the show was broadcast as the worlds longest underwater radio show by British Forces Radio and Merlin was invited to be a part of it.

Say what?

Listening to a bloke juggling on the worlds longest underwater radio show?

That sounds like some form of medieval torture

Says the short fat ugly bloke in the corner....
I think Mullins is on to something. Make him juggle oranges, that float, underwater, so, he'd need to be inverted. Now THAT'S a talent.

Being a juggler myself, I can tell you the current world record on juggling 3 balls on land is a staggering 12 HOURS and 5 minutes.... I've done sessions of over an hour. Until I got bored, basically ;-)

Juggling on the radio, oh Jesus, what else did they do? Magic, painting, dancing and ventriloquism?

I can imagine the commentary: "OK, he's in the water, now he's juggling, he's still juggling, yep there goes one ball, and another, he's still in the water, still juggling... juggling.... juggling... still holding his breath in the water, the balls are still going up and down...... etc etc etc" for 70 seconds.

Horrible

December 15th.
New Malden Pool.
World Record Attempt.

Make that 6. I can beat 70 seconds I expect.

I also intend to use positively buoyant juggling balls and perform the feat upside down!

Somebody call Guiness!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT