• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Why are speartips tri cut?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Patco sell a broad head tip for spearfishing, you can see them here. Patco Inc sells spearguns, spearfishing accessories, spear guns, speargun accessories, aqua guns, and scuba diving equipment The blades of the Patco broad head speartips would need to be kept straight with respect to their alignment with the shaft axis or they would act as steering vanes. How they stand up to repeated impacts and fish struggles that laterally load up the shaft in terms of retaining this alignment would be important.

Last edited:
DivingDane;826827 i do agree that a pencil point is better suited to fish with softer flesh and smooth skin like mackerel for example and would be of benefit in that style of hunting. DD[/quote said:
I pushed a ''pencil point'' slip tip (with wire rope) through this dog snapper's gill plates.(Aquatic Pit bull) The throw weight of a 3/8 shaft with 4 5/8's bands can put a hurting on bones and huge scales ....even without a tip.:) Stone Age Rule's.
Back in Cali I use the same head on a 5/16 shaft with one less band to have the speed to find the sweet spot behind the eye
on these local moss backs. ( a smaller version of your kingie), but a tough fish to kill as well.

Cheers, Don

Attachments

• snapper.jpg
    snapper.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Yellowtail Cali.jpg
    Yellowtail Cali.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
!!!!!that red snapper Don is insane, they are like a bigger angrier version of our Mangrove jack, which is extensivly hunted... with mixede results, they are challanging fish t0o shoot and difficult to find with any size. a 20lb fish is a trophy and anything over 10lb is a GOOD fish.

well impressed with powering a blunt point through it,... benefits of big rubber power :) we are a little more delicate on our fish (not as delicatye as the european diver though) so trying to push a pencil point through one at range with a standard rail gun would be interesting.

DD

I like to get close as the dog snapper are like the pit bull of the sea.
This fish came very close to drowning me,he wanted back in his cave at 90'
and I short lined him back to the surface. I had to swim against the current
on a deep pinnacle to get the shot and the fight back the the sun light was a long one. It ended my day of diving as my legs were gone from the near black out.

Cheers, Don

Dude, Don't you stop the boat for the hero shot? It looks like the "Pee Wee"

He He ...good eyes Mark, we were trying to get the off the bank and away from the 25' seas chasing our stern while underway.
A big green one over the stern while 105 miles offshore is never a good thing.

Cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT