• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wisconsin Spearo Equipment List

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ILDiver

I just wanna dive
Jul 11, 2005
I made the suggestion, so I'll get a rough start going.

Fishing License
Stay legal, you don't want to give the DNR all your gear. https://www4.wildlifelicense.com/wi/start.php

WI Regs
Fishing Regulations: 2008-2009 Spearing and Netting - WDNR

Wetsuits
Open Cell suits will keep you warm for extended periods in the water. In WI and the surrounding states, 3mm and 5mm are the norm. 7mm suits can also be found for the really cold days. If you can only afford 1 suit, I would recommend a 5mm. It will carry you deep into the winter and into the summer you can flush cool water into it periodically. A 3mm suit can take you down to the mid 50's, Whopperhead did Golden lake in Oct. in 3mm for 6 hours. Mid to low 50's is very comfortable in a 5mm for 6 hours. For me constant 32 degree water I can go 1.5 - 2 hours. The Outlet in Madison with varied temps I can do 4 hours.

Brands to look at include Elios, Omer, Piccaso, Cressi and many others.

Gloves and booties
Once you have an open cell suit, the next thing to get cold will be hands and feet. Buy good open cell booties too. Gloves, same thing. Henderson makes a closed cell glove that I had great luck with. Hammerhead now sells open cell gloves that are probably even better. I have not tried them yet. The advantage over the Henderson would be the grip in the palm. The Hammerheads are made for spearfishing.

Spearguns
I like the Euro guns. They are a pretty good all around gun. I carry a 90cm Gun. A 75cm gun is probably closer to ideal. 75cm is a good length in 5 - 15+ feet of vis. Lake Michigan, you could use a 100 - 130cm gun on some days. But 90% of the inland lakes, a 75cm is a safe bet.

A reel, muzzle bungee and shot line, shot line attached to your float line or free spear is all personal preference. Most of us use the shot line connected to a muzzle bungee.

Other options are Pole spears and Hawaiian slings.

Floats and Flags
A float to carry extras is nice. From an Omer fancy float down to a boat bumper can be used. It gives you a place to attach your stringer and tow your fish. A float line connected to your gun and your float does a great job of keeping your equipment in check.

Also use a dive flag. Boaters do not respect the distances they should around them all the time, but they do increase your chances of being seen. And it keeps you legal if the game warden decides to visit.

Stringers
A recent change in style for some of us in stringers. The steel hoop stringers work very well. Their disadvantage is that you have to swim back to your float. The float line and shot line start to get tangled. Some of us have gone to speed stringers. I got 3 of them from Florida Freedivers. There are 2 parts, one is the "needle" that hooks to the gun end of the float line and the other goes on the float end to hold the fish. You un-clip the needle from your gun and feed the needle through the gills. The fish works it's way down the float line. Now you don't have to fight the float line and as many tanglings.
Threads talking about Speed Stringers:
http://forums.deeperblue.net/beginner-hunting/71653-fish-stringer-bad-loss.html
http://forums.deeperblue.net/hunting-equipment/76575-speed-stringers.html

Last edited:
Back the questions I had on a new gun. The JBL's do get a bad rap, and if I had the cash, theres no way I wouldnt pick up a carbon omer, but for $200, a JBL is trusty at worst. Ive had a JBL since I was 6. Nothing is wrong with it. I like the wood because, yes it acts as a float against unruly fish. I want something big that I can convert to saltwater if I go to Hawaii for college. (Doing a campus visit over spring break, dont know if Ill be able to get in any spearing though :vangry). In addition Id like to lay into some of those MASSIVE buffalo carp Ive seen on the internet!

The OMER Cayman Aluminum 75cm comes in at $198 MSRP, the 90cm is $205. I can do a little better than that. The Cayman handle and trigger mech is GREAT. The Aluminum still floats too. The Excaliber is a less expensive gun, but at $200 budget, I'd go with the Cayman for sure with the better trigger.

By the way, I'm not bagging on JBL. I used Whopperhead's a couple of times and they do the job. My biggest knock on them is the shaft size. I prefer the single band. I don't know if you can get a do it all gun for WI and HI. Any gun will work if you use it within it's ability. I mean, I would not try take a 150lb wahoo with my 90cm Cayman. But I probably would shoot a 40 or 50lb Red Snapper if I had a chance at a good shot.

Last edited:
Yea, thats another thing I like about those JBL's. They have that quasi-mid handle feel. I dont know. I love omer products, use them all the time, and yes , euro bands are nice. I used to own a balco sub, but I lost the shaft, and the company went under in like 94' so I havent been able to get a replacement. Since then Ive been using the aforementioned JBL "carbine" I think its about 38". Im just looking for a gun to cruise the reefs. I wish they made a dahlak mimetic cayman carbon at like 90" with a mid-handle at $200.

For reefs I believe you will want a 100cm or less. I don't think you want a long gun on a reef either. You don't want to be slamming the shafts into the rock and coral. In the end, if you like the gun and it gets you the fish you want, it's a good gun.

If your sold on the JBL and that is the gun you want, then that is the gun to get. I just answered your question with my opinion.

Start with a 75cm for around here and if you get to go to Hawaii you can use it as your cave/back-up gun.

Jon

I purchase a JBL MINI-CARBINE last fall. It's the only gun I've owned. I found out the hard way that it sinks if you let go of it. I see no place on the handle(or any where else on the gun) with a factory tie off point for a float line. Does anyone here own this gun and have any suggestions. ILDiver had some great adivse about sealing the tube to make it more bouyant. I was hoping to tie a float line to it though and wondered if anybody had modified one before. Thanks.

I have a JBL Mini D6- similar with no place to clip/tie off. It's so small, you'll usually not shoot big fish- mainly panfish. It was a hassel trying to hold onto the gun and put the fish on my stringer.

Can you drill through the handle and feed a small line through it to make a tie-off loop?

More than likely. Good idea, Although I mainly use it for pans and don't usually have a problem getting them on the stringer from the spear.

On another note- For the "Speed Stringers" I have some clips en route. The clips that attach to the eye loop to you gun. "kno wha I Say'n?"

I hope you like rain

There is a screw on the bottom of the handle that can be removed. I'm going to try a couple of different modifications to it this weekend. I'll try posting a pic when it's done. This'll be the first attempt at postiong pics as well. Thanks

Reel, or float? I think Id almost rather have a reel. Dragging a big cumbersome float behind you scares fish I think, and it cant be good for your diving. I dont really ever need a flag, because most of lakes I spear are non-wake, public access by a small dirt trail ect ect. The lakes I spear are basically untouched. But I think at least a reel for carp would be good.

I had a reel on one of my guns - and I took it off- I didn't like it. You should always have a flag/float. It tells people where you are - boats and those not in boats. It can store stuff for you- water, extra tips, measuring tape, keys, license and it can serve as a resting platform. I know if your more than 50 feet from shore it says you need one. I think your right as far as that rule applying to lake with boat access. But, I don't know for sure- so, I don't risk it. I bought a OMER Shardana while in FLA. It's pretty cool- hard plastic and can hold lots of stuff- even 2 extra spearguns if need be and a spot for my Polespear.

The float gives you a place to hold the fish so you are not fighting with them hooked to you and floating around. The float and float line are not at all intrusive to the diving. Mine can hold extra guns, a pole spear, water, my dry box with my car keys, the fish...

Make sure if your in a current and open ocean that your float is well connected to your float line though. The car keys and wallet in the float....yeah....

I've used a reel and kinda like it. I've been convinced not to use one though. If the reel jams on your way up, rational choices get difficult.

Ditch the gun, or go down with it. :blackeye My brother got dragged under by a carp once, and it wasn't even very big. Having a place to store keys and wallet would be super, Im pretty sick of remembering which rock I hid it under, or burying it under my beach towel lol.

PRODUCT REVIEW: ADAPTATION EN FUEGO - 5 mm Titanium

I Got these gloves a week ago and was able to try them out Last Sunday. We were in water that was around 46 degrees. My hands were nice and warm. The EN FUEGO by HAMMERHEAD are "open cell" 5 finger gloves. This is the 1st pair of Open Cell gloves I have been able to find. I won't be able to REALLY Test them till this next winter- but So, Far these are the Gloves to get. They also make them in a 3mm. The 5mm sell for $49. They have a tight seal around the wrist so- little to no water was getting in. AWESOME GLOVES - I just thought I'd share with you all.

We offer a unique set of product for the serious spearo

en_fuego_7.jpg

Flames not included :D

Last edited:
Lol, when I first saw the picture for those gloves on hammerheadmuzzles.com I thought that the flames were some sort of like gilly camo! Then I clicked on them and felt really stupid, especially considering that I am in my third year of spanish, AND having lived in south america. So yea. I got myself a pair of Deep See "Mittens" with a trigger finger. Tried them out in water that was 40-45*F and was very warm the whole time. I was considering getting the HH's, but the discount I get at the local dive shop was too tempting.

Very similiar to yours- BJPete! Both had great flexiblity- I think yours are 3mm? I'm afraid I'm going to rip yours though- because they don't have the neoprene exterior. But for Ice dives they would work well. But you should think about a small production of those- They will sell :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT