• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wisconsin Spearo Equipment List

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
My open-cell inner socks with nylon outer lining are made by Elios. I also have another pair made by Spetton that are gold lined on the inside. I really like the Spetton ones best because they are easier to put on and have a nicer cut to them than the Elios ones do. You can buy them from the DB (scuba store) store.

I also have some nice OMER socks that are nylon lined on both sides, but they have some really nice ankle seals on the top of them that seal to my wetsuit.

Jon

Birthday was over the weekend and my brother that lives in Hawaii sent me a 3-prong aka pull spear. 6ft collapsable 1/2 alluminum, seems pretty awesome and read great reviews about this one online.

Attachments

• IMAG0227.jpg
    IMAG0227.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 270
  • IMAG0228.jpg
    IMAG0228.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 263
  • IMAG0229.jpg
    IMAG0229.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 270
Added another piece of gear... I bought the Fat Fish 6 person ice fishing shanty... the thing is huge, similar to Randy's quickfish, would be perfect for putting a heater in for a winter/early spring diving changing room. I'm out of town for the next couple weekends, but would be willing to dive in Feb or after.

Maybe considering a Ice Dive in Feb. Will post if I can see it happening.

Was wondering who makes the gopro mount that you use, whopperhead on your evo 75? Just got my gopro2, starting to set it up on my gun.

We haven't ever met, but I have the mako side mount. You can try it if you want to before buying it. I live in Chicago, but will be frequenting inland Wisconsin and Kenosha once the Perch are in. So let me know if you want to arrange a meet up.

My brother in Hawaii uses the headstrap (able to film 3 prong as well) and has some awesome video's, he's still compiling clips, but I will supply the link.

I'm planning on using the headstrap for the most part this year, last year I was still concentrating on getting my gear dialed in and familiar in the water.

The mako flat lense fix, real easy to change out, but susceptable to scratching. At 20 some bucks, I figure a replacement isn't too expensive. It seems like they are just machining a piec of polycarb... if I still worked at my former employer (die cutting company), I would have made my own. But I will just buy them.

Martin Stepanek had a case with him in Hawaii that looked awesome with a flat lense, but he said it wouldn't be on the market for a little while.

I also have an extra case with the flat lense, so if you wanted to give that a test too you can.

Scott, if you read this and want to borrow my gopro for the freediveapalooza you can (as you may have seen I'll be at a wedding). I know you are probably bringing your big dog out there, but just wanted to give you the option.

Chris

I may borrow it. I actually got rid of my Big Camera and housing. I was looking at possibly buying a gopro- but would like to try it out first.

Gotcha... you can definately try it out. Looks like we might be diving soon, so we can meet up and you can do some tests. I have the gopro hd hero 1, an extra case both with mako flat lense fix, lcd backpac, battery backpac, and the mako side gun mount.

The lcd backpac kills the battery in a hurry, so its only good for checking alignment then turning it off.

Was wondering what you guys use to lubricate your open cell wetsuits when putting then on?

Was wondering what you guys use to lubricate your open cell wetsuits when putting then on?

Conditioner or some type of no-scent Body wash. Mix it with water in a spray bottle. About 1/10 or 1/8 ratio. 1 part conditioner to 10 parts water, ect... Spray the whole inside of the suit before you attempt to put it on. When you are putting it on, don't use your fingernails!!!! It will rip through your new suit and you will get pissed.

I used the suit slip product, but I'm not sure its worth the money. It definately works, but I'll probably be switching over to unscented conditioner and water when my supply runs out. I've always used the rule of error on too much lube rather than too little.:t

As Scott says, don't use your finger nails, use the pads of your fingers. After I put a slight rip in my suit, I trim my finger nails and toe nails before diving just to be safe.

Was wondering what weight set up do you guys like for shallow water? I'm using a 5mm open cell suit i'm around 240 lb, was thinking around 16 to 18 lbs. but what size individual weight size do you guys recommend? And any weight style do you recomend?

I would go with 20lbs unless you are diving deeper than 20ft. If most of your diving/spearing is less than 12 - I would go with 20 otherwise you're fighting to stay down.

I bought the "tin man" weights, which are a rip off, but I think they look cool. They are 2lbs apiece. For spearfishing that is fine, for getting your buoyancy right for line diving you may want 1lb increments.

I am 6'4 about 250lbs, but farely dense. I wear a 3mil riffe cryptic camo open cell suit.

Scott is right, I'll give you some of my configurations:
Diving shallow I will wear 12-16lbs
Diving Lake Michigan for Perch I generally wear 12lbs
When line diving I wear 0lbs

This is all freshwater, when switching to salt it all changes. I think I wore 4lbs for line dives in Hawaii.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT