• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

200m deep down

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will Patrick make the 200m barrier?

• Yes he will, and everything will be ok !!

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • Yes, but with big problems...

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • No, he will "chicken out" and cancel the dive.

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • No, he did a try... but not really.

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • No, No, No...

Votes: 20 18.3%

• Total voters
I'm not surprised that most of the opinions are negative.

Some 55 years ago, the belief was that one can't dive over 30 meters
'cause his lungs will collapse and he'll die.

Silly ha?
Well... no.
This belief wasn't so stupid- scientist at that time just didn't have enough information.
Shifting? what the @#$% is that?! You'll never dive over 30 meters!

And then some pioneers came and showed THE WHOLE WORLD that they were wrong.

Patrick,
you are the first one EVER to try this extreme dive,
you are one of the pioneers who will show the world that they are wrong.
This dive is not only important to you, but to the whole diving community.

You are attempting to set a new bar to the human limits
and I wish you luck on that.

Adar.

Reactions: Erik
Patrick's equalisation technique, based on theories and maybe used by a couple of people around the world, has been perfected by Patrick and has been taken to that next level.

So what is this new technique and how does one learn it ?

ps Go Patrick :ko :ko :ko

Despite of everything if he reaches -200, it will be a big jump in depth.
Looking a graph of the No-Limits record the most comparable was the -150 meters from Umberto, but even this looks tiny with this big jump.
There's no doubt that his training techniques are far different from the other No-Limits freedivers. I think that humility is good even if you are a world class freediver.

Attachments

• no-limits.jpg
    no-limits.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: pat fish
yeah, it's interesting to see freediving progress in that way. thanks Frank. however, it seems the time line is not linear, so the graph is distorted in a sense. (why does the graph go up in one place?) it would be interesting to see graphs for the other disciplines too.

Interesting to see that the jumps in records are all made right before a round number. 100 meters, 150 meters and 200 meters.

Its not a question of physical limit but one of mental limit.

The mind is a strange device

Thank you Merio!!! I'll admit I'm not at all as involved in the diving world as most of you here. I've just had the pleasure of meeting some interesting & awsome people from this microcosme one of which being Patrick, who convayed the same ideas as merio & efattah aswell, in the respect that funding is the hardest thing for divers to obtain. Thus him taking 3 years to get this opportunity. By the way if there are "dozens" of divers capable of 200+ performances I suppose that Patrick has opened a door for these guys to confirm that the Human body has other limits than those written in text books.... I've just always been in awe at what you guys are capable of doing

Last edited:
Patfan said:
. By the way if there are "dozens" of divers capable of 200+ performances I suppose that Patrick has opened a door for these guys to confirm that the Human body has other limits than those written in text books

I agree...as soon as someone sets the bar, many follow. Like the 4 minute mile, 600 MPH cars, etc.
The mind is indeed a strange thing.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Alun said:
yeah, it's interesting to see freediving progress in that way. thanks Frank. however, it seems the time line is not linear, so the graph is distorted in a sense. (why does the graph go up in one place?) it would be interesting to see graphs for the other disciplines too.

You are right it's distorted, but I couldn't make it better. :)
The grapich in the bottom (from: Ferreti G. Extreme Breath-Hold divin. Eur J Appl Physiol 2001;84:254-271) is not distorted but don't have the last records. BTW I was informed by a serious freediver of a depht of 192 meters in No-limits, so the jump now doesn't seems to be as big as before. The graph go up in one place because I put the 101 of enzo maiorca done after the 105 of Jacques Mayol. I'm nostalgic.

Attachments

• no-limits2.jpg
    no-limits2.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
192m no-limits.... yes, i've also heard about that. it's a shame it hasn't been bought to the attention of the freediving world more publically before now.

Alun said:
192m no-limits.... yes, i've also heard about that. it's a shame it hasn't been bought to the attention of the freediving world more publically before now.
3 words: not too late.

2 more words: Sebastian Murat? (guessing)

alright guys, it was me.
I didnt want to tell the world about my 192 meters until i had acheived 200, but now that its out in the open......
haha just kidding, i'd like to know too

he did it! patrick musimu seems to be the first man to pass the 200m mark!
big congratulations and DEEP respect to him!

check out the interesting (!) comment on:
http://www.patrickmusimu.com/TUD.html

Attachments

• 200m.jpg
    200m.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
He did it! It's on the website now...

Congratulations Patrick, that's just...Wow.

Regardless of whatever might have been said and done, no one can dispute that this is an awesome result.

Also this quote is quite interesting:

3min 25 sec to mark history and he still has no problem to equalize at that depth and is still far from his limits apparently.

I still don't understand what he's so angry about. But he must've been through more shit than a silly thread in some internet forum, and I'll just accept that he must see things in a different angle than me. To me it does not seem at all like "the whole freediving community" is against him. A few have doubted him, a few have critisized...But most have just been waiting nervously about the exciting results and chewing fat about what they love while doing so.

One thing I couldn't agree more about is the different federations fighting...It's all just pointless.

I don't know who has thrown their "title" in his face, but they should feel pretty silly right now...

It's too bad he doesn't want to share his training anymore. But I can understand the sentiment behind that. If the technique he uses is simply "ripped off and easy to learn", then why would he need to. Anyone already knows how. I guess that's the point he's making. If it were so easy, how come no one else is doing it? Of course, as beneficial as those secrets might be, they are his secrets to keep. I hope someday the personal differences will be put aside and he will open up and let the rest of the world in on what ever it is he has learnt during the perparation. There's propably some information that could benefit freedivers as a whole in the world. Untill then, I just hope no one goes and tries to repeat that without knowing what they're doing...

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT