• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

289 kilos Bluefin speared in Spain

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Fernando,

Regardless of the 'record talk', the fact that you hunted and landed such a large and powerful creature is something none of those people attacking you can take away. Always remember that, or even its good to remember at time who your doing this for: yourself, or someone else...... I highly dought you have gone through all the training (not something someone aquires in several days, much less years), and cost to have this only mean to have your name in the books, as to me my memories are worth more than any place in a book, remeber that.

I salute you,
Justin

Man, that's a lot of fish stix. Hmmm, I don't know how Fernando cooked it but if I ever tie into one like that there's going to be a wholelotta seared Ahi goin' on . . . with peach or mango chutney . . . made with chopped jalapeños . . . and washed down with good beer! I better go fix dinner.

Reactions: thud and donmoore
Hey Wishbone,

The gun I am awaiting is a standard oleopneumatic gun. A Pump up air gun although the patent pending, Mamba System, makes it a a whole lot easier to load and the power is maximised as no water has to be displaced by the piston.

www.maorisub.com

They have their own range of guns but can also provide a kit for standard air guns.

Hello list,

Cooking : I am reluctant to cook or eat my own fishes. I do not know if it happens to other people, but there are images in my memory that makes it uneasy for me. I like fish very much, but no my own fishes.

Anyway any preparation of such a good meat is nice : "Spanish Marmitako style", carbon big steak and salad, crude with olive oil, etc. Remember anyway that we were unable to transport the whole fish in our 800 miles returning way by car to home with our boat.

Magazines : USA leader magazines have the complete article on its desk from December 2003 (Hawaii skin diver and spearfishing magazine). I hope at least one of them will publish the article before the summer. Translation takes time and I have no time to translate it myself.

By now, it have been published in Spain (Sudamerica), France, Italy and Russia. Its due to publish in USA and Portugal-Brasil. These days I will upload the articles of these countries to my site www.pescasub.com

We were two people and BOTH landed the fish. Tino de Miguel, my friend, and myself, both fighted against the fishes. I think the second tuna lost could have been bigger then the one we landed. Remember that this season, some professional boats have landed 550 kg (1200 lb) Bluefin Tuna.

Thank you everybody.

One new photo of 278 kg tuna as appeared in number 75 Apnea magazine

The first photo appeared of our tuna in magazines.

I hope you like it.

Complete article in number 76 of apnea Magazine. www.apnea.fr

Attachments

• pag_3-4_1024x720.jpg
    pag_3-4_1024x720.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 353
Eso es un Atun y lo demas es cuento :D

Translation: Now thats what I call a fish!!!!!!!!

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHane

Hey Mr. Abella,
I have the article in the french Apnea... your story was very interesting and it captured me. I brought it to school and showed my spearo buddies and classmates, they all thought you are crazy! Anyway, congratulations on such an enourmous and magnificent fish and hope you the best in the future!

Reactions: donmoore
Many, many congratulations on an awesome fish to Fernando Abela and Tino de Miguel!!

The story of the whole three day hunt will be great reading.
I will look for that magazine!

Thanks for posting the update on publication :)

OceanSwimmer

Piece requested to load the nuematic from a tank

VERY DANGEROUS TO EXCESS RECOMMENDED PRESSURE OF MANUFACTURER.

Just use it to load it quickly and easily, but not to over-load it.

Attachments

• img_2185.jpg
    img_2185.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 321
Hahaha, they have the same picture in the article! Scary stuff but it beats having to pump the gun!

Just noticed on the bottom of the article that you're from La Coruna!

GO SUPER DEPOR!!!!!!!! :D

Shane,

I was just wondering whether the Mamba will correspond the CMAS competition rules... I'll check the link!

Thanks!

Originally posted by drkebs
Regardless of the 'record talk', the fact that you hunted and landed such a large and powerful creature is something none of those people attacking you can take away... your name in the books, as to me my memories are worth more than any place in a book, remeber that.
I salute you,
Justin

Justin, what are you talking about? I didnt see anybody here attack this catch...just said its a shame its not a record. Getting bored here. Everyone has become so touchy feely its crazy. :head

Rig,

I think Justin meant the rumors that kept appearing after the catch, especially in Europe, and not the comments made here.

Cheers!

Rig,
Here's what I was thinking.....

I read on several other places (mainly Euro sites) about people giving him crap about his way that he did it; what I was saying is most likely known by Fernado already, as that being to ignore those who were quick to judge as its likely thell never get nor see anything of that size in their lives. What I wrote, was the opinion that I had gained from other places Id read about this.

Until the story is posted here, or Fernando, or others that have hunted such a big fish decide to talk about their methods or experiances this will most likley not get anymore exciting (this is how I feel anyway). I'd imagine you get some giants every now and then, shoot those stories up or maybe even a big fish post on the thrills you feel during the hunt or such of the sort.

I imagine you season is about to come into full swing soon. Im moving east for school soon and hopefully within a 1.5 years can swing a rig trip on a break......well see :D.

Enjoy man,
Justin

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT