• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2nd Mediterranean Freediving Meeting

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Stavros

Jan 25, 2006
Announcement – 2nd Mediterranean Freediving Meeting

Dear Freedivers.
Freediving Club Greece is happy to announce the 2nd Mediterranean Freediving Meeting and Depth Competition to be held in the island of Crete between the 22nd of June 2009 and the 5th of July 2009.

The 2nd Mediterranean Meeting&Depth Competition is going to be held in the seaside village of Sougia (35°14'55.02"N 23°48'42.22"E) in the South of Chania and is organized as an event for freedivers from around the world to meet, train, socialize and enjoy the wonderful hospitality of the island of Crete.
During the second week of the Mediterranean Meeting aDepth Competition will be held (29th June to 5th of July 2009). The Depth Competition is going to be a five day AIDA Ranking Depth Competition (CWT / CNF / FIM) with World Record Status. Each competition day the athletes will have the option to choose the discipline they dive between CWT / CNF / FIM.

There is a limit of 45 athletes for each competition day.

Individual awards will be presented (Male/Female) for the 3 best performances in each of the 3 diciplines (CWT/CNF/FIM) and an Overall ranking will be calculated based on the sum of points in each of the diciplines CWT/CNF/FIM for each athlete. Overall ranking points will be calculated based on the standard AIDA ranking system with the addition of 10 points for a National Record performance and 25 points for a World Record performance. Awards will be presented to the 3 best Overall winners (Male/Female).

Organizers / Contact Details The 2nd Mediterranean Freediving Meeting and Depth Competition is organized by Stavros Kastrinakis with the assistance of Freediving Club team of Instructors/Safety Divers and Judges.

Stavros is the main contact person for any issue related to the Meeting and can be reached at:
Web: Freediving Club
email: info@freediving-club.gr
Mobile: +30 6977808648 (GMT +2:00) Fax: + 30 219 8145403

The 2nd Mediterranean Meeting official Website will be up during the next couple of days with information on Fees, Accomodation, Transfers etc.

Cheers Stavros :)

Last edited:
Dear Friends,
the official competition website has been uploaded with (almost) all the information about the competition. :)

Freediving Club

The In-List has started to fill and this year the event will be even bigger and better than last year.

Cheers Stavros

Attachments

• 2nd Med Meeting1.jpg
    2nd Med Meeting1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
This sounds really good !

Hope the training fees info get uploaded soon .. :)

Hi All,
the site has been updated with the fees and several other additions - check it out

Cheers Stavros

Very good, Stravos! Just in time to put it into the competition callendar for the year. I will try to make it...

Hi Martin,
good to hear that you might be joining us.

One thing to note - to people that want to try sled diving and have no previous experience: A sled course will be organized right before the main event (ie start on Saturday 20th till Monday 22nd) and it will have limited number of places (probably 6). As these positions are filling up please contact me soon if you fall into the above category so as to ensure your place.

Cheers Stavros

Hi Guys and Gals,
things are heating up over here with entries for the comp coming in every day - if you are interested in signing up do not delay especially if you want to join the sled course.

The coolest safety team is being assembled and the new dive boat is being delivered in a couple of weeks - we are open to suggestions for the boat's name (at the moment we are at "Love Boat 2" after last years successful love boat ...)

Our arsenal of toys is growing with the new "Mini Sled" doing its first very successful dives last weekend - This is our new "head down" variable sled for equalization practice (created after demands of the British team participating at the event). The "UberSled" (which I will be using in my NLT record attempts) is also being assembled and will be tested during March.

The website is being updated so check it out for all new developments.

We will be heading to Crete on the 16th of February so stay tuned.

Cheers Stavros

Hey Guys and Gals,

Its been a while since I last updated DB on the progress of the 2nd Mediterranean Freediving Meeting
(I've been going through a professional Lifeguard course and had to learn how to run on a beach in slow motion - see baywatch intro)

The website has been going through updates though with the inlist filling up and the good old favorite section "News - Updates & Gossip" from last year coming back to us.

Welcome to the 2nd Mediterranean Freediving Meeting

Check it out

See you in Crete - I am off to practice my slow motion run

Cheers Stav

LINDAAAAAAAAAAA - that was my big secret :(
Now you ruined the surprise :)

Hugs Stav

PS. I am on my way to pick up our new dive boat - we will soon start a contest to find an appropriate name for the new funky dive boat.

Dear Friends,
after a serious wait the registration form for the 2nd Mediterranean Freediving Meeting has just been sent out to all the participants. With this the event's first world record has already been set as the registration form is an amazing 4 pages long... our DB freediving historians can inform as if there has ever been a longer event registration form in the past .

With nearly 40 athletes attending among which are WR holders (present and former) Natalia Molchanova, Guillaume Nery and Sara Campbell the event is expected to be one of the largest and most spectacular freediving events of the year.

The safety team is starting its training - the new dive boat is going to be getting in the water next week for the first time and everything looks like we will be having a great time in Crete :)

At this stage I would like to announce a mini-precomp competition for a name for our new dive boat.

The name-the-dive-boat competition will end at the end of next week and the winner will get a free video of one of their dive sessions in Sougia if they are attending or something funky if they are not going to be in Sougia (to take their minds off missing such a cool event).

Any freedivers wishing to join the event should hurry as the in-list closes on the 31st of March and there are very few places left.

See you in Crete

Stavros

PS. Any athletes wanting to register should email me as soon as possible with their registration form at info@freediving-club.gr

Attachments

• 2nd Mediterranean Meeting Registration .doc
    57 KB · Views: 178
Hi all,
quick update - the website is being updated as I write these lines with a lot new entries including World Record Holders Sara Campbell and Alex Molchanov.

The new diveboat is being tested next week and we will hopefully have some photos of that.

The new No-limits "Ubersled" is almost ready - we just need to finallize a plan of how to get the darn thing back on the surface once its down :blackeye

Apart from that the air temp is already in the mid 20C in Greece and will be heading for Crete in a couple of weeks to do some teaching some diving and build the rooms for all you guys to stay in :t:t

See you in Crete

Stavros

so, what's up? any of the hot guys there yet? how's the banana hammock situation? stavros, do you have time to post any pics?

I guess thay are just eating delicious meals in Lotto´s bar. I thought to get a rid of my extra fat there but I guess it is not worth of trying close to these kind of super delicious meals :)

- kimmo

Hia Guys and Gals,
live from Lotos Bar - waiting for desert.

All is setup after a couple of days of hard work and loads of laughs - Rob King, Jana, Georgine, Mr Bond, Adel and Cedric have already arrived and we'll be doing some fun training and sled diving before the official start of the event.

The rest of the safety is arriving tomorrow plus most of the Athletes - big party tomorrow due to a swimming competition happening in Sougia and then from Monday we get the show rolling.

We are moored at 187m depth to allow a bit of depth for the deeper sled diving.

Ok me desert has arrived - I am off to eat a chocolate thing

Deep diving tomorrow

More news soon

Stavros

Pls Stavros try beer and pizza. I heard somewhere that it will work well :)

- kimmo

Ok first unofficial training day today and the sled course did some nice Variable dives and I had a chance to try the new NLT sled which was amazing fun - did a fun 60m sled dive and strangely enough it worked great.

Tomorrow is NLT day for the sled course and I will be getting into some more serious depth with a 100m acclimatisation dive

We have about half the athletes here with more arriving today and the rest coming in tomorrow

More updates soon

Stavros

Hi All,
just finished tidying up after the party - we had a pasta meal with everybody (break - Fred and Guillaume just arrived)

Diving has been good - slight temp drop to 24C at the surface - sleds are working we have been going to 100 with William and will start going deeper from tomorrow

Ok - will go talk to Fred and Guillaume

Bye Stavros

Keep the news coming Stavros! We love to know how things are going over there, how athletes are progressing in their training, the photo's, the youtube video reports, the works man!

Kars

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT