• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

40 KG Grouper MY Pride & JOY

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks Ed,
On a lighter note, i think i would hesitate to open a site call gimp.org :) :) gives a very pulp fiction vibe and i did not particularly enjoy that scene :) :)
cheers

Nice fish Marwan, not too many people can say they've speared a 40Kg grouper.

I looked at the high res. picture, I can't tell if its a jewfish/goliath grouper or a different species Endemic to Egypt and the Red Sea. I bet you'll never see one of those in the Med though. In your pciture it almsot looks to be too black to be a Jewfish like the ones we get here Scott described. Look it up on www.fishbase.org under common names and you should get your answer and some more info. That must be great diving, Mediterranean on one side/Red sea on the other....

Mark

Thanks Mark,
I will look it up. having the med in the north and the red sea in the east/south is great, the weather in the red sea is good all year round, so its great, i never wear more than a 3 mm wetsuit all year.
cheers

Somehow i feel the necessity to say this again, if you can spear 40kg grouper in med. go and do it put all of us in shame by saying that it was child play :)

sorry if i offended you, i ment no harm, if its true what you said about there breeding habits than fair enough but alot of the other species of grouper arnt like this.

and i think we gotta stop using common names a jewfish is very different to a grouper.

Murat said:
Chefkoch,

ITS OBVIOUS YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT GROUPER HUNTING, I HAVE DOUBTS THAT YOU KNOW WHAT IS SPEARFISHING AT ALL. PLEASE SHUT YOUR MOUTH CLOSE. EVEN AT 8 METERS ITS NOT EASY TO RETRIVE THIS FISH OUT FROM THE CAVE. AND IF YOU THINK GROUPERS JUST SIT IN THE CAVE AND WAITING SOMEBODY TO SHOOT THEMSELF, YOU ARE THE BISGGEST FOOOOLL HERE!!!

DON'T MAKE COMMENTS THINGS ABOUT YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT IT, I AM PRETTY SURE THE GROUPERS HERE ARE TWICE MORE CLEVER THAN YOU rofl

Hi Murat, I'm so greatful you show up and teach me some truth about grouper biology. See, I must have completely missed this while I performed my biology study. Can you imagine? 6 years of studying zoology, lectures, courses, seminars and books, and not one word on groupers. Even the marine biology courses and excursions we led in the mediterranean were of no help. Heck I feel ashamed, being a master in biology, specialized in zoology, working as a biologist since 2years and not knowing about groupers.

The way I see it you simply need to have the brain and knowledge of a Murat :blackeye to have even the slightest chance of finding out ANYTHING about groupers.

Murat, I had no idea whatsoever that the fact that big groupers got extremely scarce is not at all linked to spearfishing. I was totally in the dark, not knowing the obvious, that killing such a fish (the bigger the better) is a sporty, heroic act, AND environmentally friendly, freeing the riff of an old fat-ass who has long ago stopped positively contributing to the rifflife. :duh

Being myself an avid freediver since 6 years and spearfishing since 4 years I had no idea you have to kill a few groupers to be allowed into the high spheres of true and wise spearfishermen. Men of honour and knowledge who - like you - from time to time step out of their smoke-filled cave to spread some wisdom into this dumb world. :head

Look I'll be happy to invite you, :king Prof. Dr. rer nat Murat to our university (TU München, Life Science Department) so you can hold a lecture and free our minds of all misconceptions regarding the groupers. Teach us , master, we'll be your willing disciples - bring us some insight into the secret life of groupers. rofl

I guess someone here should consider cutting back on his dope.

OUCH Herr Chefkoch.
Nothing like being harsh on a man. Where did you study Marine bio? i see you are in Munich is that the Tieraertzliche Uni ?(please excuse the spelling).
I lived in Germany for a while in Hanover and dived the lakes around there,BRRRRRR very cold even in summer.wished they invented a 20 mm suit LOL. done a dive in Kiel and saw Nothing and i mean -0000000000 vis lol, so we rented a sailboat and sailed around the danish islands and into Copenhagen(ooooo nice girls in Denmark). Are you freediving in the old Quaries?.

Spearos should stick together in case the day arrives when legislation threatens us all. Some of us will spear grouper and other "sedentary" species whilst others will avoid them; techniques used for 'cave hunting' are different from those used for open water hunting or aspetto. The point is that spearfishing encompasses a wide church of belief and i don't think you can say spearing bass is good but spearing grouper is bad. There are arguments for and against but overall we are all 'spearfishing'. Let's not rip bits out of each other........ :)

I think the context of the matter is, we are worldwide ,and as has been quoted in many threads, what is legal in one country is not in others, and what is seen as a catch in one is frowned upon by others in another. the black and white of it all is, as Spaniard said, we are all spearfishers, and therefore Hunters and are responsible for our own action which we take when killing what we kill, and where we kill, to place Judgment upon another for what he believes is a rightful kill because its not rightfull in your country and vice versa is not realy Cricket and should stop.(Please).

Peter.

to groupermadness: I've studied at the Technische Universitaet. There are 2 unis here: the TU and the Ludwig-Maximilian Universitaet (LMU).

to spaniard: I'm not trying to tear pieces out of people, or condemn others, i rather attempt pointing out that there are some problems related to spearfishing, one of them being the threat it poses to territorial fish like the groupers. People should not get completely carried away by their hunting passion but always bear in mind that some fish should be let alone. So don't shoot and ask later, rather ask yourself, and then (maybe) shoot. Pay respect to them, they are living beings just as we are, not just swimming chunks of meat.

I enjoy spearfishing a lot, and I simply love groupers, I like the way they float in front of their cave and look, stare, at me. They have - unlike other fish - a very curious, intelligent look.
I had one particular moment which decided whether I would become a grouper-killer or not. I had lokalized a nice grouper (Epinephelus marginatus
) in front of its cave and went down for it. As he saw me he retreated a bit, still being at the cave entrance, looking at me. And there I was, pointing my gun at him, looking at this beauty. In the meanwhile I had a steady stream of thoughts going through my mind... A minute passed and I was still there, gun secured, not threatening the fish but simply looking. That was it, i decided I won't kill any groupers. Instead i go for abundant fish.

Reactions: naiad
Chefkoch, I agree with you on the grouper thing, I too leave them alone after my own personal experiences of seeing them decimated in an area of Spain I grew up in; and it was spearfishermen who were doing the damage, not commercial fishermen. However I have dived with guys who can get to depths that I could only dream of who have shown me that it indeed takes a great amount of skill and patience to catch some of these fish. Like I said, i'll stick to other fish but I do understand the other side of the coin.

Chefkoch,
The issue comes down to ENFORCEMENT of appropriate size and bag limits. If every idiot goes out and spear all the little groupers they see (as it has happened all over the Med), then you won't find the bigger ones. However, if there is strict adherence to size/bag limits (like the 24" limit for black/gag grouper and 2 fish/person here in Florida) then the fish will recover. Unfortunately, there is very little legal enforcement in most Mediterrenean countries.
Marwan,
I believe that is a Malabar grouper which is a close relative to jewfish but different. Fishbase does not report any presence of Epinephelus itajara in your neck of the woods. Great catch!

Hi Marwan.....
Excellent Catch.... Congrads....!

Any fish that size is NOT easy to land. Most people would get you under fire as Miles said, its probably cos they never even saw anything that size before...

A 40Kg grouper is 40kg cos its smart very skittish and a challenge to hunt, if it was not it probably would have never grew to that size in the first place.

It would on the other hand be a shame and a desaster to actually take a poor shot on the fish with inadequate equipment, and loose it at the end of the long battle for it to rest in a cave and die of it own injuries!!! so as long as you managed to actually see it, get close to it, spear it, fight it, get it out of the cave, and make it to the surface ......... WELL DONE !!!!

On the fish spiecies, i doubt its a "Jew Fish" I have landed similar fish in Oman off the Arabin Gulf. Most live at about 12-20m! size 30-45kg !!!

we should run a survey on how many people actually landed a 40 + KG fish, could be interesting!!!!

No problem.. been under some fire when i first joined the forum,,, i keep most my pics to my self these days, actually been a while since i last posted pics on here, last weekend we landed 13 groupers (Hamour) off the coast of Dubai, the size range was between 5-15kg :)

i guess if im in dubai soon i'll look you up maybe we could get some hamour together. seen your earlier post on GT with your brother, looks great!
cheers

man I just checked your profile, im 3 days older than you ! im also a padi dive master (since 97) wow what a coincidence

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT