• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

5mm wetsuit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I just got a 5mm suit from diveskin. I asked for open cell interior and nylon exterior. The interior appears to be slickskin rather than open cell, not quite what I expected, but I haven't used it yet so I'll reserve judgement on how good it is.
It is my first spearing suit and I was hoping that the stretchiness of the open cell would impress me but I'm guessing that this slickskin is not so stretchy, getting in was fun!!

I hope that makes sense

Stu

let us know how it goes... i have not purchased yet cause i am being uptight about my measurements so ill ask if i can get open cell instead of slickskin...

I bought Diveskin suit last year and it has that sponge like soft layer so I would say it's opencell. :)

To compare - I also bought scuba suit from Diveskin and that one has waterstops at hood's face edge and THAT is smooth/slick - it's shiny and has more smooth surface than my freediving suit interior.

How do you rate the quality & value? I have yet to here a bad word about their service or suits?

It's my first freediving suit so I cannot compare it to another but I'm very satisfied with it as before I got it I used surfing suit and it just wasn't it.
It sits perfectly on my body, so the comfort is perfect.
BTW - I have 3mm.

Only small mismatch with the scuba suit - it should have water stops in the sleeves and trousers also but has it just at the hood. Luckily, even without them I don't have problem with water seeping in so nevermind. :)

I bought Diveskin suit last year and it has that sponge like soft layer so I would say it's opencell. :)quote]

sheepeck, did your order your suit online? if so, did you specify the interior of the suit as being slickskin?

Thanks,
Thomas

okay so i just got an email back from Spiros concerning the slickskin/open cell material... and i quote (copy & paste :blackeye)...

"Its the same material.
Medium density neoprene foam (neither too spongy or too shiny)."

Yap, I bought it through internet so I followed the instructions on the page = it means I used that slick option.
I got it in less then 3 weeks.

The Diveskin I bought a few years back was indeed open cell as well, but regarding the "open cell is the same as slickskin issue" I beleive there is a communication gap here.

First, I agree with Spiros that it is the same neopreene material, however the finish of this material will be either open cell or slickskin.

Second, it is possible in greece that open cell is refered to as slickskin, and if so I am very curious to know what their name is for what other people refer to as slickskin.

Here is a pic showing open cell next to slickskin.

:)

Attachments

• Slick.jpg
    Slick.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 229
Because of the nature of open cell neoprene clinging to the skin, it keeps a diver warmer by virtually eliminating water transference. Slickskin performs better than a nylon lined but not as well as open cell.

:)

Reactions: TOOmas
Well all my latest suits have been sold to me as open cell but they definitely have a smooth, shiny finish. :confused:

Last edited:
Yes, one picture is worth thousands words. :)

Here is picture of my suits. The left one is freediving suit with slick (as Spiros call it - and I believe it's opencell) and on the right is my scuba suit with waterstop made of shiny neoprene - not open cell.
So - my freediving suit is opencell inside - no doubt. :)

Attachments

• diveskin.jpg
    diveskin.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 216
Diveskin suits are opencell inside. I promise.

Comparing the quality of my brand new Elios with my diveskin, I would only go Elios from now on. The diveskin is good, but the Elios is phenomenal.

170 euro with loading pad. 19 euro more if you want camo. This was a freediving/deep boat spearfishing suit, so its medium heiwa with opencell inside and smoothskin outside. Shipping was a mildly horrific 59 euro, but New Zealand is the other side of the world, after all.

just went out in my 5mm diveskin.
pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to get on with the water and conditioner lube, getting out was easy too!
Any suggestions on getting rid of the air and there fore water slosh around the shoulders, I guess a vertical head down dive may do it, any help appreciated. Other than that, the fit's great.

Stuart

Hey, OP, what temp of water are you diving in? I have a Tilos 5mm and it keeps me very warm down to low fifties (F). Just a thought.

so i finally ordered my wetsuit today... no idea why i took so long doing so :head.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT