• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

6-Month Dry Apnea Training Program

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

breda

Jul 16, 2015
Hi there! Hope you all doing good!

The winter is coming, and I'll be having a lot of free time. 6, maybe 7 months of mostly 70% of free day time, everyday.
So, being a mega newbie freediver that I am, I want to use this free time doing apnea training.

I'll be running 3 times per week, some basic weight training, and swimming (just swimming, no apnea stuff).

What would you guys recommend as apnea training exercises after a run ? or maybe at home ? (Beside the CO2 & O2 tables, because that's already in the program, of course!)
What about weight training, should I be focusing on the legs ?
And how frequent it is best to have weight training per week ?
What can I do in the pool that helps my apnea abilities, that does not require a buddy? (no danger evolved what so ever)

I appreciate every help I get! So thank's in advance!
Cheers, and safe diving for everyone :)

How to get in perfect freediving shape - the secret of progressive training

Freediving is just as much a sport as it is recreation and having a wonderful experience. As in all sports, you have to train to get better. The better trained you are - the more you will enjoy freediving. Having a fit body will help you in many ways. Also, being in good shape and feeling strong and healthy is the best confidence you can have, no matter if you’re a deep, -pool or recreational freediver.
The best way to become a better freediver is of course to train freediving. As a beginner, the more time you spend in the water the better you will become. But eventually you will reach a plateau, where one of several things can stop you from getting further; equalising problems, lung squeeze problems, oxygen problems, mental problems or simply not having enough of a fit body. Many of theese things can be trained out of the water during the freediving off-season.
annelieapneatraining.jpg

Freediving is a complex activity. It combines many types of muscular and energy systems, as well as integrating the body-mind connection, so your training should include all of these. The big tricky part is WHEN and HOW to train WHAT.

Freediving training includes:
1. Equalising. Your ears are the most likely physical reason to limit your depth. You can only go as deep as you can equalise your ears.
2. Technique training. Having a good technique will save you oxygen, give you better hydrodynamics, and make your dive more enjoyable. This is best practised on the surface in a pool and while doing dynamic apnea.
3. Breath hold training. You need to get “comfortable” holding your breath. This training can include maximums, Co2 tolerance & Hypoxic tolerance.
4. Relaxation. This will make your dive 100 times more enjoyable and save you lots of oxygen.
5. Lung-training. Slowly adapting your lungs to handle the depth and compression. This can be done with certain yoga-exercises and FRC training in shallow pools.

If you are planning to increase your depth, dynamic length or breathhold you also need physical training. It will not only make you a better and stronger freediver, but you will also feel better about yourself.

Physical training includes:
1. Cardiovascular training. Gives you a good cardiovascular ability (high Co2 max – oxygen uptake), strong heart and a low resting pulse.
2. Cardio high intensity training. Makes you able to tolerate high levels of lactic acid and making use of the anaerobic energy system.
3. Muscular training. Gives you muscles at the right places, trained for what you want them to do and making your movements more energy efficient and relaxed.
4. Flexibility training/Yoga will give you better knowledge of your body and make your muscles more relaxed. Flexibility will give you better technique and decrease the risk of squeeze.
5. Mental training. Mental strength and self knowledge is imperative for freediving. Train meditation, visualisation, yoga. (more here: Sport Psychology for freediving)
atraining2.jpg
So, how should you go about training all of this?
Now, you need to make a long-term training plan. The concept of progressive training means that you systematically and gradually change and increase your training until you are in top shape. Progressive training will not only give you amazing results, it's also going to be more fun!
What most people do wrong is that they train the same thing in the same way for a long time - and then wonder why they don't get any results anymore. What happens during training is that your body adapt to the type of training you expose it to, and eventually it's fully adapted and you don't get any stronger/faster/better. It's called a training plateau. If you don't change your training - your body will not change. Second, you get good at what you do, so don't waste time training something that doesn't benefit your freediving (unless it's really really fun!). Don't be afraid to improvise and be creative by mixing and crosstraining sports - rock climbing, for example, will make you a better freediver! :)

greatfocus.jpg
Let's say you do all of your freediving and/or competing (I don't count pool disciplines as freediving) in the europeean summer. That's when you want to be in good shape - then this is how you should think:

In short, the training should slowly change from "normal" basic training into very freediving specific training. A few months and weeks before a maximum you should do less and less cardio and strength training. The training coming up to a competition should be more specific with more maximuns, yoga and rests in between.
Purpose Focus
Basic Training
Building general strength and cardio for a fit body. Cardio: Long and middle distance training to get a strong heart and strong legs

Strength: General strength, basic exercises

Flexibility: Light yoga and general flexibility training
Specific training Training freedive-specific muscles and energysystems Cardio Interval training and swim training

Strength: Working on lactic acid tolerance and endurance of freedive specific muscles

Flexibility: Specific stretching on problem areas
Specialized training Specializing in your discipline and increasing your apneic ability Cardio: Technique training/swim training, increasing the hypoxic and lactic acid tolerance

Strength: Specialized muscular strength and mental strength training
Flexibility: Specialized yoga, pranayama and lung stretching.
Good luck with your training! .

Reactions: Jason Nunes
Quick tips:

I'll be running 3 times per week, some basic weight training, and swimming (just swimming, no apnea stuff).

What would you guys recommend as apnea training exercises after a run ? or maybe at home ? (Beside the CO2 & O2 tables, because that's already in the program, of course!)

Do the apnea training before the running because cardio before apnea makes it much harder. And cardio after apnea helps recovery (if its light).

you can try these:

One breath tables.

for example:

50s breath hold

exhale

inhale

50s breath hold

exhale

inhale

50s breath hold

constanttimetables.

for example:

2 min breath hold

1:30 rest

2 min breath hold

1:30 rest

And focus on relaxation all the time.

What about weight training, should I be focusing on the legs ?

focus on legs and core, and if you want to do dnf or cnf add arms :D

And how frequent it is best to have weight training per week ?

If you add apnea training to your current training you will have to decrease the amount of other training. So if you used to train strength 4 times per week and cardio 4 times per week then you should decrease it to strength 2-3 times per and cardio 2-3. Or less if you are in great shape and your priority is apnea.

Of course it all depends on what you prioritize.

What can I do in the pool that helps my apnea abilities, that does not require a buddy? (no danger evolved what so ever)

Work on relaxed swimming (preferably with the fins that you will be using for your diving). Use a front snorkel. Deeply relax all the muscles that are not propelling you forward.

Practice the duck dive to make it effortless and to get as deep as possible after it.

Enjoy the water :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT