• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

64 revisited

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill

Baron of Breathold
Oct 17, 2001
In spite of being very close to hip replacement surgery and a lot of time on crutches '04 hasnÕt been all that bad. We did a lot of static training in the spring and I kept up with the best from Japan and Australia, for a while.
On the fourth of July, the C4-80Õs started to feel good, even to my bad leg and I continued the quest for the next big number in the game of depth. Help seems to come from every direction. Working with Matt and Annebel every week is great. Rob, from Blue Water Hunter had a few ideas. Tomo, my summer buddy from Japan and Leo, the newest US freediver (just became a citizen), both hit 60 meters this summer. When I dove safety for Deron before Cyprus he showed me a few things too. Add a chance meeting on the beach with Bret, who emphasized some of the more important details and IÕve been able to increase my constant PB steadily. Even checked out the bottom of the 70M rope on an FI dive.
ItÕs too late to keep the story short, but IÕm thinking of contacting RipleyÕs and claiming to be the oldest diver to make his age.
Aloha
Bill
P.S. 64.9 exactly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pezman and Erik
Bill

Since I intend to age gracefully with this "sport" I find you inspiring.
I think one should always be able to dive the number of ones age (dont you).

When todays 30 yearolds grows old - I think they will demand a "veteran" class, but as of today I think you have few fellow freedivers upp there.

I´ll be coming down to big island next week with Stig Severinsen and a danish filmteam.

see you

Sebastian

As sebastian said, Graceful & Inspiring! You are defenitly a role model Bill.

I wonder if it's also possible that the deep people to live up to their depth... Carlos, Martin and Herbert living to 105 and counting...

Reactions: pat fish
Thanks for the kind words. Living in Kona is a treat. It's easy to keep training when you get to meet so many great divers.
Ever since I heard of Stig's visit I've been looking forward to it. Hope there is room for one more safety diver, that's the 'best seat in the house'.
What a thought Michael. The ultimate goal? Live as long as the CB record.
Aloha
Bill

Last edited:
Bill,

I think that you are a better freediver than me. I hope I can dive like you when I am your age. It is very inspiring to see that in freediving age does not hinder great performances. You are the proof of that. Very inspiring.

Roland

Hi Bill,

You're my hero. When I talk to people about freediving and they think I'm nuts, I just tell'em about you.

Diving our age, I love it, only 16 meters to go for me. . . . I think it will take a little bit longer.

Keep up the good work.

Connor

I am impressed by your performance bill - congratulations to you from switzerland. not even the youngest athletes around here do 60+m in cw...

how do you find it to swim back up when your lungs are all empty at -64m ?

yours pat

Pat
Thanks. On my first attempt at 30 meters, I got a great, gulping, out-of-air feeling and aborted a little short. That happens now about 40-45 meters but there is so much going on at that time that I hardly notice it. Below that depth, I concentrate on my form (clearing and counting too on the descent). When you dive often, you have one of those super days every once in a while.
Aloha
Bill

Last edited:
Imagine if we were all destined to live as long as the constant weight record.

Imagine the record is 102m, and we approach our 102nd birthday. We all BEG for SOMEONE (ANYONE) to break the record so we can live a few days longer... in the last minute someone makes 105m, giving us 3 more years, and again those years pass, and again we BEG for anyone to break the record and give us life again.... it would probably bring the sponsors in, if nothing else!

PRIME TIME LIVE - Channel 5, 8pm
Constant Weight World Record Attempt
Joe Bloggs from New Zealand will attempt to break the existing record of 108m by diving to 110m. If he is successful, everyone on the planet will have their lifespan extended by 2 years.... stay tuned tonight and don't miss it! Your life depends upon it!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Way to go Bill !
Now if you add up your static and your depth take a bit off and compare to a few recent competitions.....
Sounds like the fins are helping. Now you just have make the 747 and you have most of your goals ;)

Cheers,
Wal

Hey Bill, congrats on the CW and FI dives....I wish I had been there for them.

You are an incredible diver and I know that it wasn't just your age that you have overcome in reaching these terrific milestones.

Ya are da man and an incredible inspiration to me.

Andy

hi

Bill 65m is awsome u are truly a great diver.

Cant wait till you break 70m !!! How are the C480's treating you :)

cheers

It is fun to read my old blog and all the support from the DB divers. Four years down the road on the path of life, three hip operations (same hip), a scary visit to the isolation wing of the hospital and PBs that are few and far between.

Today was one of those where good things just happen. I was still a long way from my constant PB but everything felt and worked better than it has for years. To increase my chances, I cheated by taking off the mask and pulling on the rope but I managed to bring up a piece of coral from 69 meters. Since the numbers match, I'm going to try to claim to be the oldest diver to make his age under his own power.

Maybe that and the eight minute statics will keep me going until I get my leg strength back and/or figure out this dynamic thing.

Reactions: spaghetti and azapa
Nice work Bill, congrats

69 .....everyones favourite! :)

Definitely, my hero!

Congratulations on a great dive. Who cares if it doesn't meet somebody else's definition.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT