• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

80 cm gun - any recommendations ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
Can anyone recommend a good 80cm gun ?

For use mainly for bass in fast current areas in Europe.

Ideally a nice wooden one but willing to consider other types.
Ideally a rail gun.

Cheers
Ed

Giman Labrax ? (will the douglas fir be not very robust ?)
Totem Guizzo ?
Esperasub 80cm ? (Do they come with a wooden handle ?)
Picasso Century Carbon 80cm ?

Reactions: Mr. X
Yeah I thought about that Alison and it is an option ...

How is yours coming along ?
Is someone making one for you ?

Been in after the bass yet ?!

Ye s- I might make one but probably just buy one again....should make one some day.

Ed

Hiya

The venerable Rabitech and Rob Allans spring to mind. Then there is also the Picasso Pacific, which now also includes a rail plus circular rubbers. Omer also have stick on rails for all their guns. There are a couple of others, but these are from the better known manufacturers.

In all honesty, i don't know how much difference a rail is going to make on a gun that small. I know quite a few spearo's have fitted rails to their small guns and claim to see no increase in performance. If that is the case, you can then basically look at ANY euro gun. Most of them are very decent guns.

Have fun choosing.

Regards
miles

portinfer said:
Can anyone recommend a good 80cm gun ?

For use mainly for bass in fast current areas in Europe.

Ideally a nice wooden one but willing to consider other types.
Ideally a rail gun.

Cheers
Ed

Giman Labrax ? (will the douglas fir be not very robust ?)
Totem Guizzo ?
Esperasub 80cm ? (Do they come with a wooden handle ?)
Picasso Century Carbon 80cm ?

Try a Sporasub b.v. 80 or Gab if you can get access to it and the price is right in your area. For railguns I like the Rabitech but I dont have 80cm yet and can only judge on the accuracy of the longer guns I see you listed a century carbon as one of your guns to consider.but for only 80cm i have got to agree with the poster miles here and dont see the point of the carbon as you cannot tell the difference in such a short gun. save some cash get the metal

eugene

portfinder,

Few days later, i will have new 80cm wooden gun. Its not guizzo or labrax but its something really nice :)

By the way Esperasub makes guns with wooden handles.

I would go for a rob allen sniper turbo of the desired length. They say the make them as short as 70cm so they probably have a 80cm one. O get a saracen, but at that length I would agree that carbon is mostly luxury. But hey, luxury is nice and with a good gun it is nice for a long time. Maybe I would go with the saracen.

How about a small riffe metaltech? 96cm long but only about 60 in front of the handle, that has an enclosed track with two 14mm power bands so you can adjust the power of the shot cor close up or distance, just a thought, dont shoot me down in flames

How about a hawaiian sling with pranger rofl rofl

Guizzo, go for that one. You will not be disappointed ;)

I would go for the Guizzo too!
However a Triaxx would be very handy in a strong current and it also comes with a rail.
For sizes up to 90cm it is an ideal gun for hunting in the the conditions you described.
A real bass-wacker!

Have you tried the Triax? I'm a great Esclapez fan but I'm not convinced, not by strength issues but by its lack of weight to absorb recoil; has anyone here got one? Id love to know :)

Aimrite will make a railgun to any length. I know a couple of spearos that just picked up super short ones for this years nationals which are being held in a freshwater lake with low vis....

Reactions: Alison
At that size, I would consider a pneumatic (such as a Cyrano or Sten). You REALLY don't need rails, wood or carbon barrels for such a small gun.

Angelos

Alison said:
Have you tried the Triax? I'm a great Esclapez fan but I'm not convinced, not by strength issues but by its lack of weight to absorb recoil; has anyone here got one? Id love to know :)

Alison,
Recoil is not an issue to such a short (90cm) gun as the bands are not that powerfull.
Anyway, you can always add ballast to the muzzle for a smoother shot.
On the other hand the gun tracks very fast and it doesn't swing much under strong current or waves.
It is also very accurate
IMO, it shows its full potential in the 90cm size.
A bit pricey though, at least here in Greece (about 250 euro, no reel included).

Another option that came into my mind after Angelos's suggetion for a pneumatic gun, was a 90cm Mamba. This should be an amazing gun!

Hey Shaca, any input on that one??

will try to post some pics of my new 80cm gun when had time :)

The Mamba 90 is an amazing piece of kit. It handles better than any gun in its category and has the power to go through the biggest bass.

The price is a limiting factor as its about 220 euros but you get a lot of bang for your buck

As a better option, you can go for a Seac Sub Asso 90 with mamba kit and use either 6.5mm or 7mm shaft depending on your fishing style.

As opposed to the mamba, the seac has a 13mm piston which gives it even more power than the 11mm piston on the normal mamba.

Remember, changing from band to airgun takes a bit of time to adjust and if your not diving very often, it could be a pain in the a......

Shane

Have you ever considered OMER aluminium... got one 75cm and have to say of all guns I have laid my hands on this is the closest to a sniper gun.. I have shot many bass with it even in clear viz and distance I thought I could at best scare the fish.. and it is not too bad for finances either..
just my 2c..

Pekka

OMER alluminium has the best trigger i have ever used...(in my limited arsenal rofl )

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT