• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

8th Coupe des Dauphines

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
This week there was an AIDA competition in Geneva. I was inscribed too, but unfortunately had to give it up because I was ill and did not train for almost 2 months. Colleagues from my club who went, had very positive impressions about the organization.

They spoke about an interesting competitor they saw there. He participated only in STA. No DYN and no DNF. They called him "extraterrestrial" because he behaved in a very unconventional way, where everyone thought he'd bail out very quickly - he wore just a short wetsuit, and warmed up in it during an hour and half in the relatively cold pool; he did not stop moving before and during the apnea; he did not take any deep breath before leaving (and no packing of course); during the breath-hold he allegedly stood on his feet all the time, and practically dancing - moving there and back, and to the sides all the time; kept the pool side with contracted arms all the time; and they told he looked like being in deep LMC already at around 4 minutes into the apnea. However, he finished with the time 8:36 (!!!), and although not being exceptionally clean, he did the protocol easily, but unfortunately as he stood on his feet, (instead of using the pool side to support himself) and did not stop moving (or losing balance), he touched one of the safety divers and was disqualified.

I hope someone will post the video, I'd love to see it. It looks like the guy has a big potential, though there are rumors he can't swim, but I think it is just slander of those who are jealous they can't make similar performance :)

Last edited:
i read about him in another forum: they say he's from italy, and went went angry not because of disqualifying, but because the time he did was very low.....

I just see he claims he holds the Guinness Record with the time 20:39, although he was rescued in a dramatic way, by breaking the glass tank he was in (and injuring him in the same time):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Xn59RrpZM]YouTube - David Merlini WORLD RECORD[/ame]

Interestingly, you do not see him breathing oxygen immediately before the immersion, so likely he was on it only for a certain time before (Tom Sietas did it in some of his O2 stunts in this way too). I hope he was carefully watched before the Dauphins competition :)

I think hi is David Merlini.

http://www.merlini.com

Rob

Yep, thats him.

He did not prepare in the water, though. He was preparing mostley outside in a yoga position.

He got disqualifyed because his coach kept holding his hand assisting him while surfacing.

Incredible talent, though... hope he is coming back.

So when was that Youtube record performed? And if he did 20 minutes and has the Guinness World Record certificate, what did Tom do on Oprah?

Looked a bit odd him blowing his air out all the time too.

I'm confused all round...

So when was that Youtube record performed? And if he did 20 minutes and has the Guinness World Record certificate, what did Tom do on Oprah?

Looked a bit odd him blowing his air out all the time too.

Yes, me too. He tells it was in October 2008. So either the record was not approved by Guinness because of the rescue (though he claims it was indeed a Guinness record), or Guinness officials forgot about it when approving Tom's record, or David did it without oxygen and hence it is another discipline :D

I think it was a show/magic not an official world record attempt, but not shure. He is illusionist at first. David spend lot of time in Budapest and called Jee to train but i heard "only" 6min from him.

I'm sorry for that, Benny. I am not following the O2/Guinness records and seeing the youtube video reminds me of exactley why... it's just a show...

I can only tell you a bit about what happened in Geneva. He was clearley visible throughout his warm-up. Apparently he chose the Coupe des Dauohins because it had WR status and that was also the reason why Marchello and I where judging the performance together.

He did blow out a lot of air in the end there too which was why we asked the coach for a sign and it became apperent that he had no idea what we where talking about... sign? What sign?

Funny to see a magican go for the real record. So far we have only seen the opposit.

I think it was a show/magic not an official world record attempt, but not shure. He is illusionist at first. David spend lot of time in Budapest and called Jee to train but i heard "only" 6min from him.
He writes this on his website at News:
Cannes, October 13th 2008. Merlini breaks World Record for holding his breath for 20:39 in a transparent watertank at the Grand opening of Mipcom.

The amazing achievment was registered and approved by judges of Guinnes World Records, estabilishing the new World Record of the Millennium.

Ah, I see he is was born in Hungary (with Italian father), that's probably why he chose to be trained by Jee. Being trained by an experienced freediver, I wonder though why he seemed not to know anything about the way STA is done in competitions, and apparently did many mistakes that probably cost him many precious seconds (or even minutes) and led to the disqualification too.

Some more facts about him in Wiki: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Merlini"]David Merlini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Well, I talked to David earlier, but then at last he didn't appear at the pool on our training. He told me, it's a pity, because otherwise it wouldn't have been a DQ, perhaps.

I don't know anything about the 6 min, I will ask Robi about it. :)

I'm really curious, how that over 8 static was done.

Jee, can you tell us more about David, or is all information about him confidential? Or don't you know him sufficiently? What performance did he achieve during the training? Why doesn't he stay quietly laying in water during the apnea? He does not pack because he can do better without it, or because he does not know the technique? Does he have any special techniques he's willing to share with others? Well, I doubt the last at a magician, but why wouldn't I ask ;)

Last edited:
hi guys...

sorry for not participating here lately. i have been a little bit d..... and i didnt do any freediving since july last year.

however, its never too late and i want to thank everybody for the congrats on my records - i really appreciate your words.

furthermore i want to congratulate you, alexey molchanov and dave mullins, for your amazing records - really impressing stuff, you are great athletes.

i was asked to answer this one, because i know a bit more... the guiness record attempt (20'39'') of this guy was not recognized, because they think it was cheating. according to a high guiness official he

1. did not inhale pure oxygen !
2. he was standing and moving and holding onto something
2. exhaled a very big amount of air every 30s
3. was dramatically rescued by breaking the glas of the aquarium

they asked me what i think and i said that nothing is impossible but i do not believe this....

tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for peeking in, and hoping to see you soon making some freediving again!

So does it mean that the claim on David's website that the record was approved is false? Well, I would understand if they disqualified the attempt because of the rescue, but find it strange to annulate it because of a simple suspiction without any evidence. Frankly, I found the attempt strange too (and according my friends he did his static performance during the competition in Geneva in a similar way too), but if there is no technical or chemical cheat found, I do not think anyone has the right to accuse the guy from cheating and disqualifying him for it. If they have some evidence of cheating, they should definitely tell it.

they asked me what i think and i said that nothing is impossible but i do not believe this....
tom

So, Tom, are you saying it was magic? :)

Looking back at the hole thing, of course you would find grounds for speculation. But as trux said, you cannot judge someone on that grounds. Maybe just be a little more alert next time.

If his coach had not touched him, it would have been a white card.

Possible explanation: concealed tube from bottle of compressed O2 going straight into his trachea through his neck.
All his stunts revolve around him holding his breath (while being encased etc), so he must have a tried and tested system like this or similar.

It would be all too easy to cheat in an AIDA competition. The difference is that freedivers like to look themselves in the mirror before they go to bed, whilst most magicians are trying to work out how to make their reflection disappear...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT