• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A Question about contractions time gap !

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tal-Shahar Marzuk

Nov 17, 2016
Hi and thanks for showing interest in my post..
I consider myself new to freediving and I have an issue with dealing my contractions.
I signed up for this forum hoping I can find here an answer so.. here goes :)

Everytime I work on my breath holding, inside or outside of the water, at around 45 seconds of holding,
I get my first contraction :/
But thats fine!
The thing is.. that the one after that comes in a gap of 2 seconds! and another 2 seconds, and then 1.7 sec..
and 1.6.. and so on until I breath again.
After reading a bit, I understood that I am activating my abdominals every contraction!
(probably a habbit I kept from the time I was training Krav Maga)

SO, my questions is.. Have any of you expierienced something similer? maybe even manage to solve it?
This fast contractions sure cut off alot of my diving time.

I only afraid that if I keep on practicing without changing something (physical or psychological) this issue is gonna stick to me harder.

THANKS ALOT!

That's completely normal :) They always start slow, but as you continue to hold your breath they will get gradually stronger and more frequent.

There is nothing you can do to prevent it, but you CAN make them more comfortable. The key is not to resist them and just allow them to be, if you are able to relax during the contractions they won't be (as) unscomfortable. Also keep in mind that this is a mental game. If you think negatively of the contractions they will cause discomfort, but if you just accept them without resistence or aversion you'll see they're not that bad at all. Try to see it as your body helping you out.

Personally I actually prefer the later stages of contractions because they come more rythmically.

Reactions: Tal-Shahar Marzuk
That's completely normal :) They always start slow, but as you continue to hold your breath they will get gradually stronger and more frequent.

There is nothing you can do to prevent it, but you CAN make them more comfortable. The key is not to resist them and just allow them to be, if you are able to relax during the contractions they won't be (as) unscomfortable. Also keep in mind that this is a mental game. If you think negatively of the contractions they will cause discomfort, but if you just accept them without resistence or aversion you'll see they're not that bad at all. Try to see it as your body helping you out.

Personally I actually prefer the later stages of contractions because they come more rythmically.

Thanks alot Kiekerjan :)
For sure I'll keep in mind to be more accepting to the contractions.

But is it also nomral the gap between each one? I mean.. 2seconds each contraction from the first contraction? that's not kind of strange :X?

It's different for everyone. mine usually start quite slow with longer intervals, but they also start very early. Other people I know have their contractions start later but when they come they directly come frequently.

I don't think it matters a lot, at the end of a long breathhold the results are generally the same: strong and fast contractions :D

Reactions: Tal-Shahar Marzuk
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT