• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A QUESTION ABOUT CONTRACTIONS TIME GAP !

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tal-Shahar Marzuk

Nov 17, 2016
Hi and thanks for showing interest in my post..
I consider myself new to freediving and I have an issue with dealing my contractions.
I signed up for this forum hoping I can find here an answer so.. here goes :)

Everytime I work on my breath holding, inside or outside of the water, at around 45 seconds of holding,
I get my first contraction :/
But thats fine!
The thing is.. that the one after that comes in a gap of 2 seconds! and another 2 seconds, and then 1.7 sec..
and 1.6.. and so on until I breath again.
After reading a bit, I understood that I am activating my abdominals every contraction!
(probably a habbit I kept from the time I was training Krav Maga)

SO, my questions is.. Have any of you expierienced something similer? maybe even manage to solve it?
This fast contractions sure cut off alot of my diving time.

I only afraid that if I keep on practicing without changing something (physical or psychological) this issue is gonna stick to me harder.

THANKS ALOT!

Everybody's body is different.. thus everyone feels and receives contractions in different ways and times.

Relax. Relax more. Use mental effort to keep muscles loose. Focus and feel the contraction and be aware before it occurs.

Meditation and Yoga is widely applauded in the freediving community. Check out Kundalini Yoga for breathing specific yoga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echo what frenzyfinder said. You can also try doing breath holds where you try to get as far as possible without a contraction. When you get to the thirty second mark, focus intensely on relaxing your diaphragm. Try to stop the breathold before the first contraction comes, or failing that just after the first contraction.

Most people are able to delay their contractions this way significantly.

Echo what frenzyfinder said. You can also try doing breath holds where you try to get as far as possible without a contraction. When you get to the thirty second mark, focus intensely on relaxing your diaphragm. Try to stop the breathold before the first contraction comes, or failing that just after the first contraction.

Most people are able to delay their contractions this way significantly.

Thank you very much, for both of you!
I started watching youtube videos of Kundalini yoga.

But just to make sure.. is this normal? I mean, getting contractions so soon? 45 seconds? and then every 2 sec another one?

It's pretty early to be honest (and a contraction every 2 seconds is very frequent at the beginning of contractions), but you probably have a lot of scope to delay them with practice, so I wouldn't worry about it.

My contractions can start as early as 1.30 or as late as 3.10 depending on relaxation, tiredness, stress etc, so you have a lot of influence on when contractions come.

Reactions: Tal-Shahar Marzuk
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT