• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Advice for a newbie

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hello Jea,

Congrats on the fish....:p

That MT2 of yours should do fine. At overall length of 44" it is short enough to compare to any Euro 110cm or so which sometimes is longer than 110cm over all length. I am like you a bubble blower and I am very poor with freediving skill. Good thing you found out that and mid-handle Riffe is a chest loading gun, only the Standard series and the extended butt Competitor is hip loading. Once you get used to it, loading is a breeze even with a BCD. Get used to the aiming, practice on some soda can or the sort, it will help you a lot.

The MT2 is not too much of a gun, no worry. Somehow the name Riffe to many hunters strictly means bluewater, it is not true.
The beauty of your MT2 is it is ultra flexible. It can be used with the 7mm (9/32" ) Hawaiian shaft and with 2 bands, it is almost recoiless and the power will match any Euro of the same overall length. I am assuming ur MT2 does not have the floater teak wing, it will swing anywhere you like easy but it will be a negative gun aka sinker with shaft out. That same 9/32" shaft can be pumped with 3 bands and don't worry about shaft whip or acuracy lost, I have a few friends using MT2 in all sorts of shafts and bands configuration.

With the 5/16" shaft and 3 rubbers, it is potent enought for its size. Again at 4 bands and that 5/16" shaft, you won't get shaft whip, ur 48" shaft length is considered short, it doesn't get whip that easy, not with 4 bands.

Next time if you need more punch, use a 3/8 shaft. Being a mid-handle it can take 3/8 shaft an still have a good balance in extended dive. You will want to use at least 3 bands with 3/8 shaft, 4 is even better.

What you are paying for the extra dollars for ur MT2 is a sound platform and good built and hence extra dollars over other brand. Other than a shorter barrel, that MT2 shares all the same stuff with an MT5 and also share the same trigger mech with all the Riffes, including the biggest Bluewater model. As for barrel flexing, it will never occur to any Metal Tech series, that's where part of your extra dollar is being spent.

For Metal Tech series, I have MT0, MT3 and MT5 (subsidized....:D ) and my group of friends have all except MT4. I know these guns very well and have experimented with them a great deal.

As with recoil, you will later learn that after many shots, 4 bands is nothing, it is a matter of getting used to and this recoil will NOT be to the extend of spoiling your accuracy, MT2 is quite a heavy gun ( even without teak wing kit ) for its small size so it absorbs recoil well and hence it sinks.

However, when 3/8 shaft is used and 4 bands involved, there will be a little muzzle flip you must live with but with aiming practice you can shoot accurately, its a trade off for extra range.

I use my MT0 for wrecks with very strong current in the region of 2.5+ knots, anything longer than that will get swiped away by the current...can't aim, thus MT0 was the choice specific to that need.

You made a smart choice, that MT2 length, compact dimension and upgrade capability which should allow you to enjoy and grow your skill with it till sometime to come ......have fun & dive safe.

IYA

Iya:

Thanks for the input, I've read some of your other posts and learned alot from them. I currently only have the 5/16" shaft with the threaded large head. Except for the flounder I gigged with the gun (gut reaction, just got lucky and dropped the gun on him), I was only using two of the bands for the flounder. Since they don't move much until they are hit, it was kind of like shooting at a door mat. It was nice because I had plenty of time to get into position, aim and squeeze off the shot. With two bands there wasn't any recoil that I could tell, but the power was certainly sufficient for the task. DonMoore has also recommended I get another band for the bigger stuff so I've got one on order, but it hasn't come in yet. I hope that the folks at the local quarry will let me practice in the lake now that winter is set in and the lake will be empty most of the time (around here there are no freshwater places to practice that I am aware of).

I know it wasn't terribly sporting to hunt the flounder with a gun like this, but I only shot what I was going to eat. The only other fish I saw that would have been good was a large sheeps head and a school of gray snapper. With both of these, however, there was also a large sand tiger (raggy tooth) shark circling the wreck. I didn't figure it was worth fighting him for either of those, he would have won the prize and I would have lost a stringer at the minimum.

Again, thanks for the post.

Joe.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT