• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Advice to beginner for Sardinia

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bagheera1

May 19, 2017
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and love reading through the threads. Didn't know there was such community out there. I'm from London and lived in the Philippines for a while and did some amateur free diving, learnt to scuba and did a session of spearfishing which I LOVED! (although only caught toddlers)

I've got a trip booked this June to Sardinia, around the north-east coast with a car and I can't stand sun bathing all day with the gf, a familiar story I bet! I'm into underwater photography but the med doesn't have too many corals etc to get excited over so am looking to get a very basic speargun and small flippers to amuse myself. Right now I'm not looking to get into the sport seriously or go spearfishing in the UK so I am looking for some advice on the following:

1. What speargun? Sub £50 that can be used just offshore (not looking for big pelagic fish). Was thinking 55mm.

2. What flippers? Looking for short ones that aren't too cumbersome to carry about. Again low price as won't use too often. I can get down about 8 metres (though not for long) without so just looking to get some extra time underwater/feel like a dolphin.

3. What sites? Any specific recommendations in Sardinia that can be accessed from the shore and also how do I know where I can't go (reserves etc).

4. Catch 'n' cook? Can I cook any catch on the beach or are there laws against this? Any advice about local customs? Also, carrying a speargun-will that raise alarm amongst beach goers? Obviously important to get away from people in the water.

5. Species? Any specific species to go for or to leave alone. Any advice on minimum sizes or indeed maximum sizes given the size of the speargun.

I realise that much below a 90mm speargun is limiting but it's just some fun; though not for the fish...

Thanks in advance folks!

I'll be watching this... I am due a visit in the next 2 years...
My recommendation tho... I understand that ease of transport is a priority but I would still recommend minimum of .75 m gun probably a 90 would be better... The idea is that you need a bit of range when the water is quite clear and the fish skittish. I paid for my Mares fv 75 about £75 and it's a nice gun that I can use for many years from now especially in UK where the vis is dictating a small gun generally.
Also I got myself a pair of Omer stingray 3d flippers. Paid a similar £75 delivered and again implanted to use them for a few years (careful ordering the right size online).

I would strongly recommend you have a snorkel and a mask... Snorkel is a great way to rest while checking out for fish and hiding places

I forgot to mention that although I havent travelled with my gin yet it is sensible to pay the extra £30 and box all your equipment as sporting goods. You can really fill the luggage up as you get plenty of weight allowed... I normally add clothing and other stuff to paddle the box and don't need to pay for regular hold luggage :)

Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks for the replies folks.

We've got a hold luggage with EasyJet so that's okay. Do spear guns break down into smaller bits to be carried in a backpack or not, I suppose the spear as the longest part doesn't?

I should have asked, where best to buy a speargun, I can't seem to find that Mares Fv 75 anywhere...

Thanks for the replies folks.

We've got a hold luggage with EasyJet so that's okay. Do spear guns break down into smaller bits to be carried in a backpack or not, I suppose the spear as the longest part doesn't?

I should have asked, where best to buy a speargun, I can't seem to find that Mares Fv 75 anywhere...

Look man, don't just buy this gun because I did so, please read articles about the area you are going to, check the general visibility, then decide on the lengths of the gun... you also need to decide if you will be diving around coral/wholes or something else...then you will slowly understand what size of gun you need.
Also the mares fv is an old model, there are many new guns out there that are great I am sure.... you just need to spend time on YouTube and figure out the pros and cons of each of them.
I have dived 3 times with my gun... just started this year... I chose this size because I dive in uk where visibility is generally less than 5m and I shoot around rocks and kelp mostly so I need a gun that I can manoeuvre easil. It also means that most of the fish will be close so I don't need too much range.
I also chose this gun because it comes standard with an open muzzle, the problem with the closed muzzles is that if something touches the muzzle when the spear is going out (like the line holding the spear) your accuracy goes down the drain.
I also chose this gun because it has an integrated rail along its whole body... that should at least in my opinion a lot more accuracy because the spear is supported all along the length of its shaft.
Obviously we cannot forget that this is an elastic banded gun... you might choose a pneumatic one... please don't lol

My point is.. I spent at least 4 months trying to decide on my gear.. when I got it... I was mostly pleased with it... internet shopping is a bit of a risk...

Reactions: Mr. X
Hi again,

I decided I wanted to have it fit in my luggage so was restricted to 80cm shaft. I looked at a 55cm Mares Phantom FV at a local shop but ended up going for the Apnea Whaler 50cm with a shaft of 80.2cm from Spearfishingstore. It has an integrated rail as you said. I didn't have much time to decide so will give it a go. Yes the length will be restrictive for longer shots but hopefully it will still be good enough. I'll let you know how I get on! There were cheaper versions of Apnea models and I nearly went for the Cressi Apache but hopefully the rail and thicker bands will make a difference and it also has the option of adding another band if needed in future.

I found it hard to find reviews of different spearguns which was a shame so this is a trial for me.

Any advice on Sardinian locations accessed from shore, restrictions or species to look out for (good eating/avoid) would be good!

Cheers!

Well I had a great time in Sardinia and found some secluded spots to get out with the speargun. Caught some breams and mullet but my goodness i'm a bad shot, missed some absolute sitters. The speargun definitely could do with being longer with more distance but it was a nice size to carry about. My goodness it hurts loading the thing, used all different parts of my chest and stomach to spread the bruising! But it was worth it, I look forward to taking it out again! I have nothing to compare it to but the Apnea Whaler seemed to do the job nicely!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT