• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA Hellas candidacy for 2011 WC

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Herbert's friend and sponsor is involved in the AIDA Hellas bid, so it's no surprise that he wants that to win. I'm sure with Trygons involved he believes that it will be good because presumably he'll have some input.

We could have a split decision; all the bids are good. Regardless, we will have a good world champs.

Very interesting thread and posts indeed - and I agree with W. Trubrigde that the qualifying dives and competition dives shouldnt be without a day break in between... So... Very good that this schedule is preliminary. Otherwise looking really good (spearishing inside a an ancient volcano cove and all..)- now its just about to qualify since all the danes have started diving really deep....

Santurini is a beautifull location in the middle of a Volcano - deep water next to sheltering high cliffs!

Locals already publicly offered the freediving community their apartments (since they are into spearfishing).
There is the unique possibility of living on yachts which could be attached on one side to shore and the other end directly to the diving boat. Daily trips with the yachts for spearfishing whenever wanted. So there is fish as much as one can eat!
The yachts are very inexpensive as the chartering company is in close relation with the organization and it is off-season for chartering yachts.

I offered my advice to the organizers to make sure the safety is guaranteed, unlike previous WC and other comps!

There are no moskitos or sand-flees and always good visibility unlike in the Bahamas!

I hope to see you all there!

that is definitely the " real Herbert" . He hates "sand-flees" ( flies) :vangry

lol,
Carla

Hi All,
over the last few days I have followed this thread with astonishment with content of this bid and the reaction of a lot of people to it.

Can I ask a few questions for everybody to think about and AIDA Hellas to answer?

The AIDA Hellas Bid budget shows that you are budgeting for 3 AIDA Judges - if you read the AIDA Rules (latest version) you would know that the minimum number of judges needed for a World Championship is 5... (Any WCh happening with less than 5 in the past was after special allowance from the Board once it was evident the event was in trouble and couldn't handle the cost of running things the way they are meant to happen)

The total cost you are allocating for judges (to cover flights, accommodation and food for the 10-14 days) is 1764 which means each judge will get 588 euro to cover flights accommodation and food.... this somehow does not seem right for 10-14 days...

You are budgeting for 10 doping tests... in a comp you are including all three depth disciplines you have 9 medal winners for men and 9 for women. That means a total of 18 medal positions. Did you know that according to AIDA Rules all medal winners have to be tested and normally a number of random tests are required? How come you are budgeting for about half the doping tests required by the regulations?

Your bid is a bit unclear about the number of safety divers you will use - you list 3 competition camping safety divers, one training days safety diver and 3 safety divers for all duration. So you are going to handle 70+ athletes (probably 100) with around 6 safety divers spread over a very large open water dive site?

And my favourite part of them all - you are budgeting for 70 athletes and you bid shows you will have one dive line (there is one counterballast system budgeted for anyway).
The question to all depth competition organisers out there: how long will it take to have 70 athletes dive in a single comp line?
(Need help? Lets say since the dives are relatively deep you are realistically looking at 7 or 8 dives per hour. That means around 10 competition hours. On this you need to add the mandatory rest break every hour for staff and judges (AIDA Regulations). So you are probably looking at a 12+ hour competition day every day.
If I read things wrong and you will be using more than one dive lines how are you going to cover them with 3 judges?

You list more than 4-5 different accommodation options - how is that going to work? Athletes are not going to be staying together? I thought that was one the main things that made freediving events great... If you are thinking that "they will all be together in Fyra" please remember that Fyra is not a tiny village but a major party tourist destination with tens of 1000s tourist going through at any time -100 freedivers will just get lost in the party crowd.
And how are the logistics of this going to work? How will you inform all athletes spread out on camping site, youth hostels, rent-a-rooms, hotels, sail boats moored at the dive sites, or private residencies? How will everybody be kept up to date with what’s happening? How will they know there is a meeting happening? And loads of small details like that...

And to end things with a funny note ... have you guys ever been to Santorini? Do you know that the dive site you are proposing under Fyra is the mooring site for 4-12 Cruise Liners that come and go each day? Do you know that each of these unloads 1000s of tourists and all of them use the cable car to go to Fyra and back? That is up to 24,000 tourists a day often leading to huge cues forming on the cable car (yesterday at lunchtime when I passed by the Cable car station a one hour cue was there with many unhappy tourists waiting for their turn). How are athletes going to be able to schedule their dives times / training / comp using a transport medium that is intended to cater to the Cruise Liner crowd and is often overloaded with thousands of tourists?

I am currently in Santorini running a mini comp and have been running courses in Santorini for the last 4 years - the AIDA Hellas team seem to have a very strange view of how things work around here which leads me to believe that they have probably never been here...

I am sorry to have to point out these questions - it was never my intention to do so but you guys are using quite ridiculous tactics to divert people's attention from the real facts.

Thank you for your answers

Stavros

Stavros is a professional organizer and have invested a lot of time, money and effort in his proposal. I can understand why it is a problem for him to let all his work transfer into AIDA Hellas. What is more difficult to understand is why it is not possible to come to some kind of agreement between AIDA Hellas and Stavros. They could pay him and let him be in total control of the competition. But I wonder why he cannot use AIDA Hellas volunteers, to some extent at least. AIDA Hellas would gain a lot from working with a professional like Stavros.

What this conflict also points to is how demanding it is to run a World Championship in depth events. I don't think many organizers are able to do it properly because of the high competence needed and all the money involved. A lot of experience, knowledge and dedication is needed.

Maybe it's a good idea to have a group in AIDA to work with the local organizers in a more active way than now, to ensure the quality of the championship. Perhaps also more education is needed in order to organize a depth competition. Maybe local organizers should have some kind of certification to be able to organize events on different levels? For instructors and judges education is required. Could this also be a requirement for organizers of competitions? It would at least ensure a collective standard on important issues such as safety, logistic, information, accomodation etc.

Just some thoughts from one who has no experience whatsoever in organizing comps.

Aber you bring up some very valid points.

And as you very accurately note organising an event of this magnitude requires a high level of organisational knowhow which is why in the past we have seen unsuccesful WCh events run by very well intentioned people that were not aware of the complexity of running a major freediving depth event.

Regarding me working with AIDA Hellas I would like you to think of the same question I asked AIDA Hellas board the night the gave me sanctioning and asked if it would be possible to co-operate in organising the event.
What would AIDA Hellas be bringing into this co-operation?
Through my years of organising events I have invested time and money and have a more than complete infrastructure needed to run Worlds (UW cameras, surface cams, counterballasts, miles of expensive dive lines etc etc etc) I have also spent time getting a core safety team trained that know how to setup and run a comp to professional standards. I have spent the last 3 months negotiating rates with hotels, coming to agreements of support with the municipality, discussing support from the state government, arranging sponsorship options with local companies, finding boats etc etc etc. This is work that I have done, I am going to keep spending time in doing and I know how to do...

Which brings us back to the question - if I co-operate with AIDA Hellas what are they bringing into this co-operation? (note: I am not an enemy of AIDA Hellas - I am a member and was a board member of AIDA Hellas between 2006-2009 and have run national and club competitions for AIDA Hellas in 2006, 2007 and 2009 if memory serves me right).

The only possible answer is they will offer volunteer work - As I have stated in the past I avoid volunteer work in my events (especially depth events) for the following reasons. These events that last for 7+ days are physically very demanding on the safety team. The average safety diver spends 7-8hours a day in the water diving/lifting ropes/dealing with weights/operating boats etc. After 3-4 days the attraction of being "out in the blue" is gone. That is the point were the volunteer who has spent their summer holiday to come and safety at the event will most likely think that I 've had enough and I am out of here... this will be even more true when the safety diver next to them is getting paid a good salary to do the same job.

That is why I cannot agree to using volunteers on events of this level - such events require the best safety team possible and that means people that are dealing with the events in a professional manner.

Anyway - most of the voting is done by now and we will know who is the lucky (or unlucky) organiser by the end of the weekend.

Cheers Stavros

Last edited:
Stavros is a professional organizer and have invested a lot of time, money and effort in his proposal. I can understand why it is a problem for him to let all his work transfer into AIDA Hellas. What is more difficult to understand is why it is not possible to come to some kind of agreement between AIDA Hellas and Stavros. They could pay him and let him be in total control of the competition. But I wonder why he cannot use AIDA Hellas volunteers, to some extent at least. AIDA Hellas would gain a lot from working with a professional like Stavros.

Hello Aber,

I think you are missing a few parts of the puzzle here. Stavros has learned 99% of what he knows about competitive freediving, competition organizing etc through AIDA Hellas. His work does not transfer to AIDA Hellas. If there is a relation at all, it's the other way around. It is him who has gained from AIDA Hellas.

Like I mentioned in another post, we offered to work with him, offered him full control, even asked him how much money he wants. And he still refused. I can only guess why.

Hi

I have been to many WC´s (first one 2002 Ibiza I think) and the chaos surrounding them has never bothered me... It has been fun to be part of a pioneering spirit, learning as we go, helping hands joining in.

To get to the point - I want it to be cheap and big. If it is cheap many will come, all nations will be represented.

We may need competitions where the top ten compete, in order to gain media attention, but I want back to that Ibiza comp feeling when"everybody" was there.

So make it cheap and no hidden costs please.

And yes... accommodation close to each other is an advantage.

Sebastian

Hello again,

Stavros,

It really amazes me that you would comment on our bid. I mean of all people, another contender is not the best person to do this. It shows lack of respect for the other members of the forum (as if they don’t know anything about competitions and they need some sort of messiah to open their eyes), lack of sportsmanship (for the other bid) and lack of respect for the top, history writing freedivers that have commented positively about our bid and our past events. Who exactly do you think you are? Anyway, I guess you wouldn’t do that if you didn’t worry too much. So, here is a little information for you, from the “amateurs”:

1) You are forgetting that some of the potential organizers are already judges. So there is no extra cost to get them to Santorini, since they will be there already!

2) About the accommodation etc costs for extra judges that you mention, the answer above covers it.

3) We are budgeting for 10 doping tests because I personally contacted Pim Vermeulen, AIDA’s technical officer via sms and he gave me this number, “10”. But if AIDA International tells us to have more, we have the money to do this.

4) The safety team will be 3 safety divers per competition line and 3 divers for the warm up lines. More than enough for each competition line.

5) It appears that you have not read the schedule very carefully. I every singe day, there won’t be more than 45 freedivers diving. For example, if we get 70 athletes and say 35 are men and 35 are women, then on the first day of diving we only have 35 divers to try to get in the men’s finals. And the next day we have the 35 female athletes and the say 8-10 men finalists. In the event that all 70 athletes are men, AIDA Hellas has enough money reserve to cover for an extra competition line and counter ballast system.

6) There are more than one hotel options just outside the camping area witch have already offered us reduced rates. This makes it possible for the athletes to be together. Meetings will not be announced just a few hours before they start but people will know exactly where to be, and at what time. It just takes some basic planning skills.

7) Yes, we have been to Santorini. I’ve actually stayed in the camping site for a few days and know from first hand experience that the level of service they offer is very, very high. Actually the youth hostel is inside the camping site! And a member of our organizing committee went there a few days before we submitted our bid to do a last check on things. As you can see in our proposal, we have more than one diving sites. This is why (as you can see in our budget), we have allowed for 1000 euros for an anchor set-up (much more that what it usually costs us). This way, if the existing anchors turn out to be unusable, we can anchor a little further to the north. But these 1000 euros will go towards lowering the entrance fee if we manage not to spend them.

8) About the cable car, according to official information (Santorini Cable Car Santorini Island Teleferik Santorini) the cable car is capable of carrying 1200 persons per hour. So, if today you saw people waiting for an hour, well, there must have been 1200 people waiting just outside the cable car in Fyra! I’m surprised you managed to get through. By the way, whenever I used the cable car (in August when it’s the peek season), I never had to wait.

9) 70 athletes is our worst-case scenario. We are making this an open competition, a freediving festival. We can accommodate more than 200 athletes, and the more athletes come, the lower the fee will be since all money made will go back to the athletes. We are non-profit organization and what drives us is the love for the sport, not money making or personal egos.

As an ending, sad, personal note, you keep talking about how great and how professional your events are and yet, the few “professional” freedivers that wrote in these threads, had the best comments about AIDA Hellas events and at least one of them had negative comments for yours. What is more contradicting with your self proclaimed professionalism is that you don’t read other people’s bid with the attention that a true professional would. You jump to conclusions, use words like “funny”, an obnoxious tone and write lies.

The truth is, you haven’t been bad at learning some organizational skills from AIDA Hellas. But you failed miserably at the lesson of ethics and true freediving spirit.

I deeply apologize to other members for my tone, but I feel it is justified.

Last edited:
Reactions: fpernett
Panos:

When I was talking about Stavros' work transferring into AIDA Hellas, I was referring to his work with this definite proposal for the Worlds 2011. I don't know anything about Stavros' experience in organizing comps apart from his Mediterranean Meeting.

Stavros:

I guess it would take some idealism on your part - and perhaps also some payback to the organization that fostered you (according to Panos) - to work together with AIDA Hellas.

Sebastian:

Big and cheap is good, but it does not hurt to have a good and experienced organization either. I would rather pay a bit more for a well organized comp and good accommodation, when I take the trouble to train for a comp and get off from work. I want to focus on the diving and relaxing when at a comp. But I agree that it's a good idea to have different kinds of comps; big and cheap, small and very professional. But I would want both to be safe and well organized. On this last point AIDA could make an impact.

For me it's a problem that most comps are announced way to short time in advance and don't happen every year. They also vary the dates for the comp too much, so it becomes very difficult to do the necessary arrangements and planning ahead. But I guess that's not a problem for the dive bums out there, you included :)

Hi Aber,

Both myself and my wife have been activelly involved in AIDA Hellas since 2005 organising events (without any remunaration of course) conducting free seminars for the members and helping out in any way that we can. Last year (as well as in the past) I run the AIDA Hellas depth competition using my equipment (boats, cameras etc etc) and students from my freediving center as safety introducing them to AIDA Hellas competition.
In short during the last few years I have and will continue to give back to the AIDA Hellas' members.

As far as learning everything I know from AIDA Hellas competitions - I agree that the first events I organised were under the wing of AIDA Hellas but since then I have been involved in organising the safety teams for 2 AIDA World championships (2008 Team Championships and 2009 Individual Pool Championships) and organising 3 International competitions with duration of 10-15 days each. These events are far beyond the scope of AIDA Hellas' knowhow.

Anyway guys - the good thing is that at least this year there was more interest from organisers to host the event - in the past it was getting harder and harder to get organisers to host worlds. This is a big positive development. The rest has most likely been decided already.

Cheers
Stavros

I think Århus was optimal with the pricerange offered for competitors accommodation:
Free on a gym floor or a discount at a hotel.

In my opinion I think WC should be chosen 2 years in advance. Problem is there has not been any contenders, but now the situation is changing.

The Greece alternative not chosen this year could be chosen for 2015 depth individual giving some other country/continent the chance in between in 2013). Or maybe the "looser" in this years bid could do the next TEAMS 2012 which I think should be in Europe again.

Greece economy needs some attention ;-)

Sebastian

Last edited:
Hello,

As far I have heard, Aida Assembly has been informed that this vote goes for a second round as there was no majority decision.

So the next step is that two winner candidates from Greece will define their applications and then there will be a final vote.

So this competition will be in Greece 2011 anyway.

br,

- kimmo

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT