• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA no-fins record attempts

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
All the best ...

Great story, David. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to catch up with You. Sometimes, when things go wrong, outstanding skills manifest themselves in an even greater way. To be able to make it back up to the surface with a ruptured eardrum from ~-60mt without the help of any device (fins or rope) is an awesome achievement, even though You passed out at the end. So don't underestimate the value of a crisis, because it was proving how much leeway You would have had in a potentially successful dive.

P.S.: There are people here in Austria that do have repect of other athlete's performances. We look forward to witness Your next successive UCB WR-dive.

I would like to wish all db-members great fun in a newly discovered and yet ancient form of freediving: CW without fins.

Gerald

Last edited:
Wow, great narrative, thanks for sharing David and best of luck with your future attempts.

The record dive sounds like a culmination of all my worst freediving nightmares!

Hi David

Keep de good work David....We can not change the past, but the past can change us for better.so learn from the past and look to the future.and your are going to take that tag at 63 meters o more

saludos

Daniel.

Last edited:
Carlos Coste has done a 62m CWWF prerequisite dive!... wow!
he can try up to 65m.

for some reason his CW attempt has been cancelled though?

Laminar interviewed Carlos for DB and Carlos admitted that Herbert's 95m would be very difficult to beat.

So, looking back on the last few months, all four of the big guns had announced attempts in CW, and let's review the sequence:

Guillaume: Cancelled
Martin: Cancelled (sinus infection)
Herbert: 95m WR
Carlos: Cancelled

Now only Kike (Kuravic) remains, and he's got to be a long shot!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

what about that cryptic message posted on Howard's guestbook a few days ago, which said something like
"congrats M... 101m CW" written by someone from Spain, i think.
the only M i can think of would be Martin? has he already recovered from his sinus infection and passed the 100 mark?

So, just to finish up this thread, Kike, the 'long shot' in his record attempt, ended up cancelling both his CW and FI attempts.

So it looks like Herbert will hold the CW record until next year....

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

i can't say i'm surprised to hear this news. i guess he must be diving into the 80s, otherwise i'm sure AIDA wouldn't have bothered sending judges. maybe he never made it into the 90s? who knows.

I don't understand why AIDA sent judges since normally the athlete needs to make the prerequisite (93m) before the judges will go. The AIDA site doesn't say that he made any prerequisite.

I think this is even more true these days with the depths being more difficult to break. When someone who has never held a record announces one, it is hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. It seems that in those cases the prereq rule should be more strictly enforced, to save the judges time & money.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

With AIDA, does the judge have to cover their own expenses to verify a record?

With FREE I have to fly them there, feed them, pay them, transport them, and fly them back!

I know that Kirk Krack was one of the judges and he left just over a week ago for Greece.

Aida officials are very strict with their prerequisite dives. The organizer of the record has to pay for the judges expenses and 500 bucks for doping a successful world record (I think I got something wrong here).:duh

then there is the issue of how you prove that you've done a pre-requisite depth - say before the judges are sent out. i suppose that AIDA (in this case) must accept the word of the freediver, because it's impossible for him/her to prove what they've done.

I still don't understand....how does AIDA verify a record when there is no AIDA offical at the bottom to verify arrival at the bottom?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT