• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA rules/dynamic question.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Me to grab the wall before my airways exit the water. I must only training the NEW WAY. It is easy to do it... For me the new rules are Welcome. They are not perfect but that a great begging.

PANO: Its so nice to see that I am not the only Greek in this forum :)

Lambis

Tahoe Diver,
On your question about being within 1.5m from the wall, the way I understand it is if you crouch in a dropping motion so that your head submerges and then push off, you will be fine. Your airway will be submerged in only about .5 meter from the wall. I believe this is the most efficient way to start a no-fin or fin dynamic anyway.

If you were to start with a dive, then you must have your airway submerged within 1.5m, but for most people I believe swimming down in a dive would be less efficient than just dropping, allowing gravity to submerge you, and then pushing off from the solid wall.

As far as I know pushing off the wall for the start is legal and the method most us.
don

Thanks DonMoore,

It's nice to know that I don't have to change my process. I was trying to imagine pushing off from the wall while almost totally extended!

Thanks again,

Tahoe Diver

I am curious if you can interpret the rules different....
If the diver breaks the surface with his head (or anything exept for the airways) at 137 meters and continue swimming to 139, he will be DQed. But if you instead say that WITHIN the 20 seconds from the moment he breaks the surface at 137 meters he gives the OK, isn't that a valid result of 137 meters? No matter if he swum two meters extra or not....You simlply start counting the 20 seconds from the oment he broke the surface for the first time.

I was at a competition in Sweden two weeks ago where this could apply...
Lambis

Hey Lambis,

I'm not sure I follow 100%.

If his airways break the surface, then that's where the performance ends and the 20sec countdown starts. I assume you mean the diver surfaces (airways out) and continues with a surface swim while breathing (airways out of water the whole time after surfacing)?

Gia sou Pano

No, the last meters he was swimming at surface but with his face (airways) still in water. Normally that means he's still performing but disqualified. But what I wonder is if - in theory - it could be judged that the performance is ended when he brakes the surface with his body but with his airways still down. The 20sec countdown starts. He's just swimming the last two meter, which doesn't count and he gives the OK.

Lambis

OK, here is how it goes,

By definition, the performance ends when the airway is out of the water.

If he breaks the surface, airways still in and keeps swimming, he should be disq. unless this happens within 5 meters from the turn. Then it is ok. Swimming on the surface outside this 5m zone means disq.

Pulling on the wall (or lane) before the end of the performance (exit of the airways) means a penalty should be applied.

This is according to the current rules.

Hope I've answered your question.

O.K. Pano I get it now :)

But... that means that if he on the end of the performance breaks the surface within 5 meters from the turn and swimming on the surface inside this last 5m (airways still in water) and on the wall he ends the performance (exit of the airways) This 5 Meter count?? or ??

Lambis

Yes, in that case they count.

But if he grabs the edge of the pool before the exit of his airway, he gets a penalty :)

Reactions: Lambis
O.K Pano now I get it

It is not really fair becauce if the freediver on the end of his performace is swimming on the surface (airways still in water) inside this last 5m that meter count, but if he ends his performance in the middle of the pool and do the same he is disq.

kalinixta

Well,

The rule is the same for everyone, so it's not unfair :) At least in my opinion.

At the end of a max dynamic I don't think many athletes would bother to calculate if they are within the 5 meter zone and then decide to surface and keep swimming. At least the ones I know, never really bother to do that. We just stay underwater and surface when we want to end our performance.

Part of our bodies might surface during a turn, and that's why the rule is there in the first place.

Kalinyxta to you too :)

Pano before i go to sleep..

I really think that this is a great rule like all the new rules off AIDA but two weeks ago I was at a competition in Sweden and there a freediver is is disq becauce he was swimming the last 2-3 meters on the surface. He was strugling the last meters and have break the surface. Now If he was near the 5 meters rule everything will be O.K.
but he was not. Now how offen this could happen ? 1% maybe 2% but its could happen

Now I must sleep.... "Kala den nystazis?"

OK, before you go to sleep, :) haha

If he was stugling so much that he had to break the surface, why didn't he play safe and end the performance? ;)

It is the responsibility of each athlete to know the rules. Right?

Yep, my idea.....

you enter the competition so should know the rules and play by it. If you don't like them don't enter or ask your national representitive to take aktions in order to change the rules (like happened several times in the past).

Luckilly I have an hour more from here before going to sleep then in Greece.....

Saluti Pim

Ok, before I go to sleep

You are right, absoluty right.... "It is the responsibility of each athlete to know the rules" offen we forget this and we think that the rules are flexible only for us..
But you are right, the athlete is responsible to know the rules.

Now I will go to sleep and dream that I dive in my beautiful Island Crete without all the rules and regulations :)

sleep well, nighty night.....

I will be drifting of to 'el Coyote' Baja Mexico........no rules, no competition just 'pure nature' and freedom.

saluti, pim

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT