• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA WCh 2007, Maribor

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
oh yeah, when i was drunk enough, i got a t-shirt signed by all the greats, Stig, Natalia, Herbert, Carlos, Guerry, Lotta, Will, with their performances written down! :D I am NOT putting the T-shirt on e-bay!

Sergiu

Reactions: shoutatthesky
congratulations to all competitors for their fantastic performances!!!
one question i have:
why was william winram DQ in the DNF finals ? and how long was his distance?
thx,
best regards
andi

If I remember correctly Will came up between 160 and 165 and had a bad LMC and his airways sunk after he completed a protocol (I am not sure if it was correct or not but it certainly was very shaky)

Cheers Stavros

Funniest moment of the competition...

Before Livvy Philip's static, she mentioned to me that she couldn't wait to have a great big pint of Guinness after the competition was over. At some point I mentioned it to two Finnish guys, Antero and Lauri.

Livvy was in her last event, DNF and had just finished and been DQ'ed. Still in the water, as she hung on to the edge of the pool feeling a bit down, a cold can of Guinness magically appeared past her eyes as if floating in space. She did a double take, wondered if she was still blacking out, looked up and saw the 2 Finns standing behind the barrier a few metres away with a big fishing pole, rope and can attached to the end of it rofl She cracked the can and started hooking in before even getting out of the pool, that must be a record of some sort :friday

Top marks for Finnish ingenuity!!!

Funniest moment of the competition...

Before Livvy Philip's static, she mentioned to me that she couldn't wait to have a great big pint of Guinness after the competition was over. At some point I mentioned it to two Finnish guys, Antero and Lauri.

Livvy was in her last event, DNF and had just finished and been DQ'ed. Still in the water, as she hung on to the edge of the pool feeling a bit down, a cold can of Guinness magically appeared past her eyes as if floating in space. She did a double take, wondered if she was still blacking out, looked up and saw the 2 Finns standing behind the barrier a few metres away with a big fishing pole, rope and can attached to the end of it rofl She cracked the can and started hooking in before even getting out of the pool, that must be a record of some sort :friday

Top marks for Finnish ingenuity!!!
Now it makes all sense! I thought you guys are trying out a new "fishing line safety system" trying to land dry Livvy after her attempt. Maybe it is after all, a pint of Guiness may bring you back from the dark side if dropped with a fishing line near you in the pool :D

We're going to incorporate it into our weekly training, only the can of Guinness will be suspended just in front of the athlete during the performance.

A bit like a night at the greyhounds really.

I think you are on to something here benny. I'll start building a rig! A cable, a motor, and a clipping system for the beer. simple.:)

It was a great competition and now is a time to recall magic moments ...

Attachments

• molchanova_8min_c.jpg
    molchanova_8min_c.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 196
Best National team:

Denmark 81p
Russia 80p
Sweden 41p
Croatia 39p
Czech Reublic 34p
Japan 32p
Switzerland 24p
Slovenia 21p
Finland 20p
Norway 19p
Canada 16p
USA 15p
Poland 14p
Slovakia 13p
France 12p
Greece 11p
Austria 9p
Venezuela 9p
New Zeeland 7p
United Kingdom 3p
Hungary 3p
Germany 1p

Totaly 365 performances with athletes from 28 countries

/B

(point system: 1st place 15p - 2nd place 13p - 3rd place 11p - 4th place 9p - 5th place 8p - etc ..down to 12th place 1p)

Hi,

If somebody is interested, here can be found some Slovenian (competition) pictures: http://freediving.pictures.fi/

cheers,

- kimmo

ps. Igor, I guess that´s the picture (above, Natalia with a stop watch) you mentioned me there in the Dorms. Perfect timing all the way :)

Kimmo, very good pictures! Now I just pray nobody documented my BO at the party!
Miha

Just put a pint down at 90m and Livvy will be a world record holder in no time!
(and two at the surface so that she comes back) rofl

Just loaded up a couple of vids on Youtube... unfortunately Youtube quality is really crap though.

Women's A-Final
YouTube - Womens Dynamic Final Freediving World Championship 2007

Men's A-Final
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8gKZRBAkeQ]YouTube - Mens Dynamic Final 2007 Freediving World Championship[/ame]

Note how Stig slows right down in the last 50m to let Alexey go past so he can keep an eye on him... brilliant stuff.

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited:
Reactions: trux
Love the kick and glide style being used by the women - looks so easy! :duh

Just put on all my articles I wrote here WC 2007 Pool | Shark Freediving

I didn't really have time at the comp to upload all the stuff. So the text and photos I put online will keep you busy for some time. I still have some more stuff lying around including some video stuff and some pretty crazy party pics that were paid to left out of the collection. But if you do a higher bid I might put them back online! ;)

... I still have some more stuff lying around including some video stuff and some pretty crazy party pics that were paid to left out of the collection. But if you do a higher bid I might put them back online! ;)
Okay, put them on eBay with a small preview :)

oh yeah, when i was drunk enough, i got a t-shirt signed by all the greats, Stig, Natalia, Herbert, Carlos, Guerry, Lotta, Will, with their performances written down! :D I am NOT putting the T-shirt on e-bay!
Sergiu
Then I wasn't drank yet I also collect some names at the WC's booklet. Unfortunately later I wasn't able to continue ...

Attachments

• poster_s.jpg
    poster_s.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 160
Sebastian you had me going there. Some very good ideas and then this - "Get rid of record attempts in the competition disciplines. We have good enough comps for this. Record attempts steal attention from freediving as a sport. The big blue is a movie – lets grow up and move on."
That sounds like a huge contradiction to what you were saying about making less rules. Why should a competitor not be allowed to attempt a record in a place and time of there own choosing?

My humble advice for getting more people watching- get your camera setup run entirely by a pro. We need cameras BELOW the water running on cables so we get a clear view of what is actually happening not just some murky shape gliding under the surface.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT