• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA World championship indoor 2011- Lignano

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Goran Colak

May 8, 2007
So we have WCh soon in Lignano, with great infrastructure and conditions there... close to Denmark conditions I might say and Denmark was the best WCh I have ever saw. Even after the burglary everything went perfect!

Now we have the news that DNF will be done in a 50m lines. I did not believe it at first, but I have checked and it is confirmed. So why do we doing this? On a WCh suddenly the DNF will be done in 50m lines. And there is the best 25m pool for DNF on the planet under the same roof!!

I just can not understand this. First of all WR will be close to impossible and there is people actually training for this event believe it or not.. and they will be pissed of with this news. I can understand someone thinking DNF should be done without pushing of the wall, but then we need 2 set of world records just like in swimming. One for 25m pools and one for 50m pools. You just can not do this kind of experiments on world championship for god sake! Don't AIDA Int have something to say? Or they are becoming like CMAS and the response will be that all is under the official AIDA rules...? Typical...

Again we do crazy stuff in this sport of ours, please make up your mind once far all and then stick to that! This is just ridiculous...

Reactions: spaghetti
Having different records for different pools makes sense Goran or if that's an overkill for freediving right now, I would agree that it would make sense to 'unofficially' stick to 25m pools for DNF in high profile comps like the WC... just my 2p :)

Hi Goran, I noticed this too and am quite disappointed. I was hoping they meant we'd swim across the pool as they did in Slovenia.

I'm also disappointed about the time table that the top divers are going to be competing very late at night and the competition does not start until mid afternoon. I hope dinner is still available at 10:30pm (or potentially much later if you're held for dope testing).

The other issue I see is that all the trips and events are in the morning so if you're serious about the competition you can't really partake in anything.

Initially I was excited about this WCs. It seemed that we'd only have to do one event per day and have a couple of rest days in the mix, plus have a great pool, and we could see some massive performances, now I'm not so sure.

Reactions: aris ioannidis
Goran, did you contact the organizers and asked for their reasoning? Finally their decision may just come from inexperience - in Italy they do not do any AIDA competitions (except of the CMAS/FIPSAS/AIDA Europe Evolution Cup), and Italian freedivers rarely participate on AIDA competitions abroad, so the may not be aware of the quasi-standard of DNF in 25m pool. The Italian federation FIPSAS indeed keeps records in 25m and 50m pools separately both for DNF and DYN, so they may be just thinking the 50m is the "real thing".

Goran, did you contact the organizers and asked for their reasoning? Finally their decision may just come from inexperience

It is sad that a competitor have to point out this fact to the organizer. This should be done by AIDA officials. Not to mention that the organizer should be aware of this in the first place. How can there be place for inexperience when one organizes a WC? Of course it is still possible that it is just a typo, no?

I do not think it is a typo. I believe that DNF on the Europe Evolution Cup uses to be indeed in the 50m pool, and that's likely the reason it was kept in this way for the WC too. The organizers are very experienced, and I am sure the competition will be great, but simply they may not know the AIDA habits as well as those of the FIPSAS, Apnea Academy, and the CMAS.

And it may be that AIDA officials did not notice it, or did not consider it as important as the competitors do (finally from the point of view of the rules, there is no problem, and the championship is about competing and not necessarily about setting new records). Finally we noticed it only now too, although it is listed on the website since a few months (or weeks at least). So if any of you consider the pool format crucial, you should definitely contact either the organizer, or your national AIDA, and request the change. I think there may be still enough time for rescheduling the event.

Last edited:
I guess I can relax about my DNF record, then? I'd be mildly surprised if the DYN one didn't go though.

Now we have the news that DNF will be done in a 50m lines. I did not believe it at first, but I have checked and it is confirmed. So why do we doing this? On a WCh suddenly the DNF will be done in 50m lines. And there is the best 25m pool for DNF on the planet under the same roof!!

I noticed the same thing emailed the organization and they confirmed it. As far as I know the 25m pool is not perfect. The depth i only 1,3-1,4m which is very shallow! correct me if I am wrong
I train in a 1,6m pool and I wouldn't like the pool to be much shallower than that. That would cause a lot of yellow cards, but still better performances than a 50m pool.

Firs of all the guys from Lignano Evolution cup have a lot of experience, and DNF was always held in that 25m pool before, that is the reason I am confused even more! And the pool is great I have dived there before and it is (after Aarhus pool) the best one for DNF I have tried. Depth is from 1,4m to 1,6m or 1,8m but something in that range, and there is no danger of surfacing Rune...

You can not just like that change the way of preforming one discipline. Imagine swimmers on theirs WCh, and organizer says, OK this time we will swim in 33m pools because I think this is the way it should be done... All will have the same condition but there is more at stake, personal best's, national records, not to mention world and continental records... You can not just take away that from people! Or, apparently you can :/

Firs of all the guys from Lignano Evolution cup have a lot of experience, and DNF was always held in that 25m pool before, that is the reason I am confused even more! And the pool is great I have dived there before and it is (after Aarhus pool) the best one for DNF I have tried. Depth is from 1,4m to 1,6m or 1,8m but something in that range, and there is no danger of surfacing Rune...

You can not just like that change the way of preforming one discipline. Imagine swimmers on theirs WCh, and organizer says, OK this time we will swim in 33m pools because I think this is the way it should be done... All will have the same condition but there is more at stake, personal best's, national records, not to mention world and continental records... You can not just take away that from people! Or, apparently you can :/

I don't see why they wan't to use the 50m pool for DNF if you say that their 25m is good. I got the information about the pool being shallow from their website:
-The second Swimming Pool is semiolipionic Swimming Pool (25 mt x 12,5 mt.). The deep is from 1,30 mt.
to 1,40 mt. The water temperature have 29° C .
» Where we are and how to reach us

Godan I really agree with you about DNF in a 50m pool is a completely diffrent discipline, and I would prefer the event to be done i a 25m pool.
Maybe we could send a complaint to the organization telling them to use the 25m pool insted. If we are some of the top DNF divers doing that, they have to take it seriously

Hello All,
Let me ask Ute , the Aida Sport officer about this. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I understand the concern. I do dnf ( rather poorly but I try ) so I can see how it will effect the overall performance. I know in swimming we have separate records- long course yards, short course yards, long course meters, etc. since the turns make a huge difference.
I think we should inquire to the Italians . I know at my pool ( where I train) we switch the lane lines direction from long to short course and vice versa.
Carla

Carla, I have already wrote to AIDA CRO, to open a discussion on AIDA Int forum, and AIDA Serbia will support this suggestion to. But of cours make Ute aware of this, great.

Rune, I don't know why they have this numbers on web site but they are wrong, like I sad I was diving there and I remember on one part it was 1,4m and on the opposite side you could barely stand so I guess something like 1,7m or 1,8m coz I am 1,87m tall.

I only have hope that Italians misunderstand the whole thing, and they due the poor English did not realize we are asking about lines length not the pool length... Because the olymipc pool is normally 25m wide.

I only have hope that Italians misunderstand the whole thing, and they due the poor English did not realize we are asking about lines length not the pool length... Because the olymipc pool is normally 25m wide.

I do know there were/are language problems. Let me see what we can find out about this and I will tell you all, when I know.
Thanks for your interest and patience
Carla

Hi all, i have skype date with the organizer this evening, i'll point out your doubts and will report on that

Let me say by now we competed in the very same 50m pool at the Italian cmas champs
Ilaria swam (138m) very close to her NR (141m in 25m pool) and another girl did a very good 136m

Their pool does not seem to be 25m wide on the plan. So unless there is a retractable wall in the 50m pool, when they write 50m pool, it means 50m lanes too.

swimming-pool-piantina2.jpg

Reactions: island_sands
Ivo I think I know the reason for this now looking at the plan, the 25m pool dos not have 8 lines required for AIDA finals... And just to point out the 50m pool has the fall at the canter from 1,8m or something to 3.0m or something... and that will be another thing to watch out in DNF. World record just gone bye bye for all of us I think :)

Ivo I think I know the reason for this now looking at the plan, the 25m pool dos not have 8 lines required for AIDA finals... And just to point out the 50m pool has the fall at the canter from 1,8m or something to 3.0m or something... and that will be another thing to watch out in DNF. World record just gone bye bye for all of us I think :)

As far as I can see the 50m pool only has 8 lanes, which means that there wont be room for underwater photos/videos in the finals - thats really too bad.

Also you are saying that the 50m pool drops from 1,8 to 3m?
on the website it says:
from 2,10 mt to 2,40 mt. The water temperature have 28° C .
Why do they not make pools with the same depth all the way?

I have wrote that from my memory, looking at the video of my dive there 2 years ago... I see there is not that big difference of depth, but I think it is bigger then 30cm... .here is the underwater video of my DYN dive in that pool.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqA1i3A2nzw]YouTube - ‪Goran Colak, Lignano DYN, 225m‬‏[/ame]

Well, all this is rather dissapointing :head. I would expect from a WC to offer a nice standard 25m pool for DNF. By doing it on a 50m pool the organizers penalize those who have been preparing for that event.

Moreover, doing DYN in a variable depth pool is also far from perfect. I would consider not attending now. :confused:

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT