• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA World championship indoor 2011- Lignano

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
1.5m is not 'really shallow'...

Kathryn, I'm curious, is it really that much?

Last edited:
I have a slight memory of that they had a 25 m wall in the 50 m pool, but I don't trust my memory 100% here.
Hi Ulf
there is no retractable wall in Lignano

Goran Colak said:
ONLY but ONLY reason for doing this can be 6 lines in 25m pool ant the fact that Olympic pool is less then 25 yards wide... There is no other reason that can be justified and that is a FACT! I am just stunned how you do not understand that...
ok Goran
so we have a reasonable reason for choosing the 50m pool

Goran Colak said:
With all do respect to the organizer and Italians, the answers and "explanations" so far are nothing but ridiculous!
not that much respect in this, Goran, i personally don't think we need that

also, to all, please don't think we in Italy are not able to read a rule sheet: we can and i'm sure the organizers did
Ascribing the 50m pool choice for DNF to inexperience is actually ridiculous, and the more considering ApneaEvolution has a GREAT experience in freediving events, proved each year (more than once a year) in at least the last 3 years
Those who think they are wrong should, in my opinion:
1) try, if they can, coming to this WC avoiding preconceptions and see if there is something actually wrong
2) hopefully apply for hosting the next WC and let the world see what a top-level hosting looks like, including the association of the perfect DNF pool and the perfect DYN pool and the perfect STA pool

please note all above comes from ME, it's not an official reply from the organizers as i am not directly involved, i am only in contact with them

unfortunately Alessandro is in Greece, let's hope he will have time to leave a comment soon

cheers

Last edited:
Yes you have a reason, that's true, and like I sad that is the only reason for doing this, not having 6 lines in 25m pool an Olympic pool being less then 25 yards wide.

Explanation that I have named ridiculous is the one that DNF should be done in 25m pool. This is not the mater of personal interpretation, and for anyone that is involved in free diving competition I really don't need to start explaining why. After all some already did that in earlier posts more then good.

And I never had told anything against Evolution Cup, that is mine favorite competition of the year, and everything is perfect there! So this is the mine reason why I am pissed of, because this competition is in the same place and now suddenly everything is not perfect, but ok.

And at the end, I actually think doing DNF in 50m lines will fancy me more then most of others divers, but this is not the point of this!

The Aida regulation states:

6.3 World Championships
The event takes place in a pool (minimal depth: 120cm).

It is crystal clear. WC can be done either in a 25m or 50m or whateverl. Perhaps this point should be reconsidered and amended and not based anymore on "unofficial rules". An International voting of all Aida members would be the most fair and reasonable way to do it.

Just out of interest are we actually saying that AIDA rules actually allow DNF in say a 10m pool? :)

Just out of interest are we actually saying that AIDA rules actually allow DNF in say a 10m pool? :)

as far as i know the pool can't be shorter than 25m - but I think there is some eceptions exceptions. For instance the word championship in 2008 in Sharm, they were useing a 24,76m pool.

The problem is , as stated before, we had no other organizer apply to host. We all need to get off our whining butts and apply in 2013. Then you can make the comp, just the way you want it!
FYI - we have one submitted application for the 2012 Team World Championships,so far. It would be nice to have more applicants- hint hint. ;)

Reactions: Don Paul
Well, personally I don't mind 50m pool cause everyone has the same conditions. I am still unsure if I come, my main focus was DNF this year and this news doesn't help it. I write about it because I believe there is more people like me, who train in a 25m pool and doesn't have an opportunity to train in a 50m pool. I swam 4x in my life in a 50m pool, 3x on competition and once on training. It's natural for me to swim DNF in 25m pool and I can't imagine doing it in a 50m pool. Having this in mind and no 50m pool around me I don't think it will bring me any good...I believe there is a lot of people in same situation as me and we don't have much chance with people who can at least train DYN in 50m pool, so they have a feeling of this length.
Just pointing out thar there is a lot of people who don't care about DYN, and all they life they train DNF in a 25m pool, and now they have a problem.

regards,
Matt Malina

Last edited:
Just pointing out thar there is a lot of people who don't care about DYN, and all they life they train DNF in a 25m pool, and now they have a problem.
ther is also a lot of people who train their whole life in 25m pools for DYN and come to comps where they are asked to swim in a 50m pool
people like me
but still nobody complain about DYN done in long pools: why?

Dear friends and AIDA athletes,

I'm writing in the name of the organizing committee (Friuli
Venezia-Giulia region, Friuli Venezia Giulia Turism, CONI Italy Friuli Venezia-Giulia, LIBERTAS sport
promotion center, Ge.Tur s.c.a.r.l, Apnea EVolution a.s.d.). I've been
reported about the criticisms on DeeperBlue forum from some athletes
concerning some logistics options unanimously chosen by the organizers.
The organizing committee is committed to provide a historical visibility
not only to AIDA and you athletes, but also to the freediving
discipline, to a level that has never been achieved in previous world
championships.

You might not know that this organizing committee has been cooperating
for a long time and with a professionalism that is recognized worldwide,
not only in freediving but also in many other sports live swimming,
finswimming, athletics, etc., and in events like Eyof 2005 (20.000
persons in all disciplines from all over the world), Universiade (15.000
persons in all disciplines from all over the world), Masters Games
(17.000 persons from Europe), and freediving world championship
(probably 300-500 persons). We find the criticisms, and in some cases
the offenses, demotivating for who has decided to invest out-of-pocket
tens of thousands of euros for the championship event, and we find
incomprehensible and reductive that the criticisms, and all this
discomfort, is caused for example from the choice to have the DNF
discipline in the 50m pool rather than in the 25m one. These are
anxieties that don't give you credit, and show a deep immaturity, and
also are the cause of the missing visibility, growth, and recognition of
our discipline.

The choice is forced by logistics availability and by the live TV coverage.

I invite you not to lose time on dwelling and criticizing on these
unproductive particulars, but to concentrate to get the best of
yourselves in an event that will be the most followed worldwide with
unprecedented synergies and side events.

Another very important invitation is about your registrations: if by 31
July they will have not been sent to the secretary's office, with the
corresponding payment, the world competition will be canceled!

Hoping that you will allow us to give an opportunity of growth, fun, and
visibility to you and the whole freediving discipline, I wish to see you
all in Lignano, hosted by Europe Evolution Cup 2011.

Yours sincerely,
Alessandro Vergendo

Reactions: island_sands
but still nobody complain about DYN done in long pools: why?

Presumably because 1. stroke count is critical in DNF and 2. the pushoffs are helpful in DNF, so you want more of them. Conversely, they reduce performance a little bit in DYN.

Yes now I have done enough complaining about this and it's time to get exited again. I'm sure it will be a good comp and at least there ARE some reasons for doing it in a 50 m lane, although maybe not the ones we like? And there are ways of training no push offs in a 25 m pool as well I guess by...well, not pushing off the wall? It could make the training more interesting as well.
Maybe swim the 4 walls around around:)
This will be fun..

Presumably because 1. stroke count is critical in DNF and 2. the pushoffs are helpful in DNF, so you want more of them. Conversely, they reduce performance a little bit in DYN.
well, mine was actually a rhetorical question, but thanks anyway :t

Yes now I have done enough complaining about this and it's time to get exited again. I'm sure it will be a good comp and at least there ARE some reasons for doing it in a 50 m lane, although maybe not the ones we like? And there are ways of training no push offs in a 25 m pool as well I guess by...well, not pushing off the wall? It could make the training more interesting as well.
Maybe swim the 4 walls around around:)
This will be fun..
maybe just push veeeery slightly on odd turns, just to simulate your usual gliding

I think DNF performances will be on average 25% shorter on the 50m pool; so to win it may take just 150m instead of 200m. Do not know if Will has a different opinion...:)

Last edited:
Surely not 25%. The difference may differ at individuals, but in most cases the 50m performances are only slightly smaller than in a 25m pool. I'd tell it can be between 0-10% in most cases. At some people, the 50m pool may be even preferable.

You lose the gain of the wall push, but it also consumes a lot of oxygen, so you can swim a bit more relaxed and longer in a 50m pool. And you also do not lose the kinetic energy by the turns. The loss in a 50m pool is really not that big, believe me.

I bet that with 150m you will barely get into the B finals, and surely not into A finals.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT