• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Air guns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I'd like to see them, and can also host them if need be.

Hey, don't you go to hell or something for shooting your speargun on land?

Fondueset,

Send me a PM with your email and I will send it to you. IT has 6 Mgbites.

Cheers

Ivan

StretchArmStron said:
Greekdiver,
a single wrap on a euro loads just as fast as my pneumatic. The 55cm I shoot in the 2-4' viz we have works like a charm. I'd put it up to your pneumatic any day!

its quiet too and doesn't spook the fish like the pneumatic.

I do believe a pneumatic is more of a personal preference.

It cant load as quick and thats a fact, not opinion. The spear has to go in ONE way with band guns. The spear can go in ANY way with airguns. You put the end into the airgun and pull back. Thats it. There is no lining up like bandguns. Airguns do make noise but the fish is dead by the time it hears it ;)

Ive owned many airguns and band guns. Band guns are the best for clear vis, long shots, and big fish.

sickbugs said:
i dunno.. i can load my 90cm euro REALLY fast... i can shoot, reload and shoot again underwater, and if i needed to, i could reload on the ascent if its deep enough for fish swimming close to the surface, but ive only done that once for a mackeral i spotted

Ive reloaded 3 times underwater in one dive with my pneumatic. The vis was complete ass and i kept missing. I hit him on the 3rd shot though.

Pneumatics are really freakin strong when you pump them up. Ive never ever had a problem penetrating a fish.

Ive never used the Mamba. How do they compare to the Mares? Id like to own a long pneumatic but they are hard as hell to load i think. Im not an expert with the long pneumatics.

I agree - pneumos are very efficient - there seems to be alot of misunderstanding regarding just how powerful and accurate these guns can be. I imagine a 90cm mamba gun is probably at least as powerful as a 100 band gun. My concern has allways been sand ingestion - I dive in very sandy conditions.

Fondueset,

The mamba guns really work very good and like you said they are really powerful and accurate.
I use 115's and 135's and they are great.

Check your email I already sent you the video.

Cheers

Ivan

Asturven said:
Fondueset,

The mamba guns really work very good and like you said they are really powerful and accurate.
I use 115's and 135's and they are great.

Check your email I already sent you the video.

Cheers

Ivan

How do you load them when they are so long? Can you link me to a website that has them? Thanks

Last edited:
Interesting video! - It takes a little figuring out - it appears to be comparing a 130cm mamba gun at 22 atm with a stealth 110 at 35mm. The mamba has a 7mm shaft - the stealth shoots an 8 and a 7 - with the 8 it penetrates better than the mamba at 4 meters (35atm) with the 7 not as well.

I've no doubt the mamba technology works - but it seems like a better demo would be to use the same length gun!

What is the effective range of a 90cm mamba - vs a regular 90cm pneumatic? It would seem a big advantage of the mamba setup would be to reduce the amount of pressure needed - making loading much easier.

Fondueset said:
Interesting video! - It takes a little figuring out - it appears to be comparing a 130cm mamba gun at 22 atm with a stealth 110 at 35mm. The mamba has a 7mm shaft - the stealth shoots an 8 and a 7 - with the 8 it penetrates better than the mamba at 4 meters (35atm) with the 7 not as well.

I've no doubt the mamba technology works - but it seems like a better demo would be to use the same length gun!

What is the effective range of a 90cm mamba - vs a regular 90cm pneumatic? It would seem a big advantage of the mamba setup would be to reduce the amount of pressure needed - making loading much easier.

Can you email me the video? Ill upload it with a link. thanks

GreekDiver said:
It cant load as quick and thats a fact, not opinion. The spear has to go in ONE way with band guns. The spear can go in ANY way with airguns. You put the end into the airgun and pull back. Thats it. There is no lining up like bandguns. Airguns do make noise but the fish is dead by the time it hears it ;)

Ive owned many airguns and band guns. Band guns are the best for clear vis, long shots, and big fish.

ok I was looking at it last night...I can load both guns in about the same amount of time. with the air gun the extra wrap of line takes about the same amount of time as it does to pull the band back on my band gun. (the extra wrap of line coming from the fact that the shooting line is not on the back of the spear as it is on a euro gun.

air gun: fire, load wrap twice

band gun: fire, load, loop the single wrap around the line release, pull band.

Still personal preference I guess. And again w/ the euro gun being quieter the school of fish doesn't go anywhere and I am able to take several before they more on.

Having both I'll still take my chances w/ a euro.

Reactions: Mr. X
StretchArmStron said:
ok I was looking at it last night...I can load both guns in about the same amount of time. with the air gun the extra wrap of line takes about the same amount of time as it does to pull the band back on my band gun. (the extra wrap of line coming from the fact that the shooting line is not on the back of the spear as it is on a euro gun.

air gun: fire, load wrap twice

band gun: fire, load, loop the single wrap around the line release, pull band.

Still personal preference I guess. And again w/ the euro gun being quieter the school of fish doesn't go anywhere and I am able to take several before they more on.

Having both I'll still take my chances w/ a euro.

I dont use the line release, and i dont use a reel. I just ram in the spear and go. I use thick nylon so it doesnt tangle and i just let that hang. It takes all of 2-3 total seconds to load.

Dont get me wrong, i like band guns. I have a 55" Wong hybrid and lots of old jbls i dont use.

Last edited:
The mamba system not only increases the guns power but makes it a lot smoother & quieter. My mamba is pumped up to the max & it definitely outperforms my 110 single rubber powered gun, I would say it is also quieter. Not sure about the speed of loading but I dont find the mamba is any more difficult to load. When firing a 100cm 6.5 spear from the mamba, if you look down the side of the barrel, you can really see the speed & flat trajectory of the spear. Amazing :)

Last edited:
Fondueset said:

Fondueset,

You are right one the advantages of the mamba is that you can reduce the amount of pressure needed to obtain the same output, but let me tell yopu that nobody uses that way. Everubody load it with more pressure to obtain a faster shaft and more range.

The piston and shock absober piece inside the muzzle are made of a high quality material so let you use higher pressures.

Other important thing is that the Mamba kit can be installed in most of the comercial pneumatic guns in the market, but it is worth in spearguns of 90 cms and up.

Regarding the video the comparation, you are right maybe a same lenght gun would be better, but remember that you also need to compare guns with different piston diameters.
Mares Cyranos and Sporas Stealths have 11 mm internal barrels and can use only 7 mmm shaft or less.
But old mares Sten, Seac Assos, Cressi Sl's amomg others use 13 mm diameter internal barrel so they can use 8 mm or less.

The difference in using 11 mm or 13 mm guns with 7 mm shafts is huge. The area of the piston in the 13 mm model is bigger and it is more efective. So even if they have the same lenght the 13 mm gun with 7 mm will need much less pressure to have the same output that the other gun, or it is able to work at bigger pressure.
Of course in this example the loading effort is different too.

Cheers

Ivan

PD: Greekdiver we use extensors to load the big guns in order to reach the tip of the shaft

Asturven,

Do you have any pictures of the airguns you use? Id like to see your setup.

Id like to buy a mamba kit for my cyrano. Where do you get them?

GreekDiver said:
I dont use the line release, and i dont use a reel. I just ram in the spear and go. I use thick nylon so it doesnt tangle and i just let that hang. It takes all of 2-3 total seconds to load.

Dont get me wrong, i like band guns. I have a 55" Wong hybrid and lots of old jbls i dont use.

w/ that setup I'm sure its much faster to reload. Do you ever have a problem w/ the line wraping up around anything while hunting?

No, the mambas do not need to be loaded outside of the water. You load it just like a regular pneumatic, you only have a previous step to put a slide ring with a O-Ring on it into de muzzle and that is.
I also have a video of the loading, if you want.
Greek Diver, I use my guns with reels and some attached directly to the float like a hawaiian Breakaway.

StretchArmStron said:
w/ that setup I'm sure its much faster to reload. Do you ever have a problem w/ the line wraping up around anything while hunting?

Not at all since its pretty thick line. Ill try and take a picture of my setup and upload it to the page.

Hi guys, I've joined this discussion late but like foxfish I just received my new Asso 90 last week after years of using band guns and had similar experiences foxfish had the first time I used it.
I bought the gun with the expectation of converting it to a mamba after reading all about it on the European forums. My main interest in it is, number one, it loads fast, two, the power, number three, the maneuverability.
I want to use it in Northern California where the visibility is not very good and I need a gun to hunt in caves and this is did for me well enough the first time I used it.
But, the gun is sufficiently different from the guns I used in the past that will take me some time to adjust.
The first shot I attempted to take the gun did not fire, it was due to the safety (the guns I make have none so.....) by the time I figured it out I missed a 15 pound lingcod from point blank.
On the second shot, the gun didn't fire again but the safety was not the problem, I think the line release was too tight. Another fat ling lost.
The third shot, the gun worked perfectly, ling on the stringer.
Fourth shot, same thing.
Bottom line, the gun has a place in my arsenal, it will never replace my band guns for clear open water but in the right place and time it will be my gun of choice.
So patience and practice is recommended for all interested.

Steve

Attachments

• DSC00174.jpg
    DSC00174.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 233
Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT