• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Airgun length? Help

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Gecko is spot on about the shock absorber. You can use an 8mm spear in the 55 Vuoto if you change the shock absorber - or use a diameter modified shaft tail end (connector) on your 8mm shaft instead of the standard. An 8mm "free shaft" (front tied shaft, no connector) can also be used. You should increase the pressure in the gun if you use an 8mm spear (go to 26 bar). You will still be able to load it with out trouble as the 8mm shaft is less flexible. You can start with the standard 55 or 65 vuoto and see what you think.
The 65 vuoto would in my opinion be a more "all round" choice especially because it also has the power regulator and a better aim for longer shots if the viz is good.

(I would chose a 55 pneumatic with 8mm shaft with exchangeable spear tip (vacuum barrel, or not) and reel, if low viz, seaweed and carps were my speciality. But I must admit that it's not. So that recommandation comes from my reading on East European forums - not own experience :) Hunting lakes and rivers are not legal in Denmark.)

Jégwan

Last edited:
65 vuoto does not have power regulator. Only 75 and up have it. I bought the Vuoto 65 a few months ago.

Reactions: Jegwan
the non Vuoto probably requires less maintenance. The shaft will less likely bend after hitting the bottom. 65 fits in most regular luggage and it is more useful in the ocean. since the the line wraps 3 times you probably get 60 cm extra reach. I really do not see how the 55 would tangle less. I'd get the 65 non vuoto, the gauge (useful if you want to pump more air in or lower the pressure at different times), some spare tips, spare shaft, spare loader and spare shaft spring / ring. Those are easy to lose, and without a $3 loader it may not be possible to safely load the gun. If I go in shallow water with jetties / rocks I do not take the vuoto but the regular predathor.

Thanks for the help fellas. I finally placed the order so I can put this subject to rest for now.

I chose the 55cm vuoto special edition. I really wanted the power reducer, but that meant buying the PLUS model and getting a separate dry-muzzle kit. Which would have costed me an extra $100. So I decided against it. I'll be kicking myself after bending my sixth shaft lol.

It sold for $400 at canadian retailers, but I found the thing for $140 from an italian shop. I just hope that customs go easy on me.

I'm quite eager to view and document it's performance. Some of you think that i'm foolish for getting the weaker 55cm model and I can understand why. So a few fishing trips are in order to see who's right. And If I enjoy this hobby well enough, i'll simply buy one in every size. So i'm not too concerned about my choice. Time will tell.

Reactions: Jegwan
Thicker shaft of non vuoto does not bend as much as the thinner vuoto's.

Anyway I would buy with the order a spare shaft, a couple of spare speartips and spare loader. Those go for $3 to $8 each. It does not increase the cost of shipping by much, and in North America they are more expensive or take longer to find (you can order them on ebay from EU sellers). Nothing ruins a dive like losing or forgetting a snorkel, a loader, a tip. I secured the speartip with electrical tape, the screw tips sometimes may come off even if screwed tight.

Reactions: noobey
Yep I understand. But i'm worried that the extra weight of the 8mm shaft will slow down that spearpoint too much.
If what you guys are saying is true, i'll need as much speed/momentum as I can get outa my puny 55cm. 7mm lighter, 7mm faster.
And if it proves to be fast enough, and if I start bending spears, i'll buy that buffer and grab some 8mm shafts to couple with my vuoto.

I did order extra shafts + points. But I couldn't find the "sliders", which slightly worries me. Do they go by another name?

Yep I understand. But i'm worried that the extra weight of the 8mm shaft will slow down that spearpoint too much.
If what you guys are saying is true, i'll need as much speed/momentum as I can get outa my puny 55cm. 7mm lighter, 7mm faster.
And if it proves to be fast enough, and if I start bending spears, i'll buy that buffer and grab some 8mm shafts to couple with my vuoto.

I did order extra shafts + points. But I couldn't find the "sliders", which slightly worries me. Do they go by another name?

If you order from one of the smaller shops, then just ask them for the sliders. Alternatively, get a few from Tomba or Marko here, they make good stuff.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT