• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

answer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Carbon coated Shafts seem to be good when using high power bands as it stops shaft whip (especial guns with no rail) Gives the rigidity of a 7mm shaft with the weight of a 6mm shaft.

With regards the Dapiran gun, I really like the shape of the barrell and the fact that they are really simple yet effective guns. I have also tried the Totem system of fastening the shaft to the muzzle and it does not convince me entirely (I could be wrong)

I am going to rome this september.

I might get a Tahiti or Tuna gun for fishing blue water.

Originally posted by ivan
hi

Murat im sure if the Tuna was in 1m he would have shot it or anyone for that matter, but I imagine they are found in deeper water in the Med ??. So can you or I shoot that same tuna at 47m on a breathold :hmm I very much doubt it and that is what puts him above most.

Learning how to find fish in your local area is something that we all learn with time, I was always taught to call this fish sense ie the ability to find fish by using all your knowlege and gut feelings about YOUR area on the day.

Most spearos can stalk fish good enough and easy enough in shallower water, but it would take a super human effort to shoot those fish in 47m of water. Its very easy to say yeah this guy shot a Tuna in 47m of water so what, just think about how hard that would be :cool:

cheers

Man, you got me wrong. Of course neither you nor me can not shot Tuna in 50 meter water. But i was not talking about apnea part of the hunting. I am talking about the danger of hunting this big fish is same in any water level.;)

By the way let me know before you come here. I will try to learn where are these giants ( of course if all this stories are true;) ):D :D :D

Hey Shane,

Did you used those shafts in your Alluminium? I saw Tuna gun of the Totem but if i need that kind of gun i will probably prefer more advanced and complete product such as Riffe. Probably they almost cost same. ;)

Actually Totem Tahiti series is identical with Riffe Comp. series.
They have both advantages and disadvantages if you will hunt in med. Tahiti using pin hold trigger mech so it may react more faster that Riffe. Actually this is one of the basic differents between Tree Trunks and Euro guns. But Riffe has stronger mech but this is not advantage in Med. I don't belive there is a fish in med sea that twin 16mm and 7-7.5 mm shaft is not enough (Remmeber Abri??). On the other hand Riffe shaft are to expensive but euro shaft are between 15-20 dollars. But if you jusdge the quality of both gun.... Riffe may won it.

Ps: No offense to any gun i am talking about assumptions. I hope this doesn't disturb anyone;)

Murat,

I use the new Omer 6.3mm shafts on most of my guns. I like the way the flopper has been designed to sit flush on the shaft. They do tend to bend if shot into rocks.

Use a 7mm picasso shaft on my 90cm gun with 21mm bands for grouper hunting.

Originally posted by shaneshac
Murat,

They do tend to bend if shot into rocks.

Which one? OMER or Carbon Picasso?

If these 7mm carbons can do what they advertise. They are great. Can you think shaft has lightness, accuracy, speed of the 6mm shaft and has range, knockdown power of 7mm? This is great. If this is true you can easily convert standart euro gun into descent big fish gun. As you know when you put 7mm shaft and twin bands to standart euros barell kick up because of the shaft weight and the power you aplied to shaft.:hmm

By the way i am going beach now for chick hunting. :D :D :D

Make sure you use your 10 inch shaft with double bands. Don't worry about the recoil:D

THe shafts that bend are the Omer one as as they have been filed down to make the flopper more streamlined. So long as you use this shaft for more open water shots you will be OK.

Do you know if totem would make a gun like the Ultra with an open muzzle? Now that would interest me!

have a good time at the beach.

Hehehe....

Today chicks were too shy. They didn't get in my range. Actually a group of them is in my range which was piece of cake but i ignored them coz there are under sized:D :D :D :D :D

When i talked with Fabirizo two years ago he said that he don't make any custom gun or modification on the guns. He always like to build what he tested for years. But you can try your chance anyway.:)

Hey Murat,

Which of the Totem guns have you used?

How does it compare with other Euro guns?

Only Crotian spero Allan.
By the way what is your local time and wheather temp there?

It is now 00:35

Temp is 25 degrees Celsius. Around 30-32 degrees during the day.

Water is still bloody 16 degrees. BRRRRR:( :( :(

Anything deeper than 20 meters is still uncomfortable in my summer suit.

Still catching good fish though.

:hmm

It reached 40+ centigrate degree celcius during the day. But the moisture is the worst. I am burning. I gonna take a shower. I'll be off for 10 minutes.

1 question: I tried ambush hunting in shallow water (4-5meter) but when i reached the bottom the water lift me up. I am not using wetsuit or weightbelt. I also can't glide while heading down to bottom. I am ussing all fin kicks to reach the bottom. Should i use weight belt with no wetsuit. Or it's just because of the water is too shallow? May be the water does not lift me after 6 meter of water.

IF you find you are floating it is due to your full lungs acting as floats and incresing your bouyancy.

I have regularly seen Manny Puig (Discovery Channel) using a weight belt with no suit on.

For the ambush it is also good to use small ankle weights to keep the fins close to the bottom.

Once on the bottom try keeping your legs still and pull yourself alongy with your free hand.

You will be suprised how many fish you frighten by scraping your fins on the bottom without realising. This is a technique used by Giorgio Dapiran

Gotta go. Speak to you tommorow.:D

But if you use ankle weight don't you get cramp while surface swimming?

Good night. Bye...

hi

Sorry Murat for having a go I didnt realise what you were getting at ;)

Shane 16C water you poor guy, that'd kill me. BTW have you met or seen Alberto dive ?? where in Spain is he from and where does he dive.

cheers

hi

Sorry Murat for having a go I didnt realise what you were getting at ;)

Shane 16C water you poor guy, that'd kill me. BTW have you met or seen Alberto dive ?? where in Spain is he from and where does he dive.

cheers

Murat. You should not get cramps if you use light weights.

Ivan, Alberto March is from Mallorca in the Balearic Islands. The same as Pedro Carbonell and Jose Amengual. All three have been or are world champs. All are capable of fishing beyond 40 metres and both Alberto and Pedro have suffered decompression sickness as a result of prolonged deep dives.

Pedro is spokesperson for Beuchat and Alberto is fishing for Omer.

I have not met them persionally but read about them all the time in Spanish Spearing mags

Hey Shane,

Do you know any english spearfishing mag. for Med. sea speros?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT