• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Are the C4-80's really too long for spearfishing?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Rémi

Jul 19, 2004
I am planning to buy some C4 for freediving, but want after a wile to use them for deep spearfishing as well.
For freediving, I think I would chose the 80s, but everyone seems to say they are too long for spearing.
At the moment I have some Omer Tuna fins (which I'll keep for general spearfishing), and never thought they were too long for spearfishing, so I am wondering if 10cm more is really going to be a big deal (I think that's what the difference should be)
Has someone out there already been doing some spearfishing with those. I am not talking about manoeuvrability to start chasing a fish, as I never do that, or to swim in the current. I am talking about Mediterranean 25m+ aspetos
Thanks for your feedback.

Long fins annoy me in aspetto because it makes it difficult to get into position when you "land" and also letting your legs and fins fall between rocks on the bottom. Also when changing position in aspetto is always harder and noisier to move your legs. I made switch from Gara 200hf to Gara 3000 and 3-4cm difference was enough to cause me these problems. Im beggining to think that relatively shorter and wider blades like specialfins kelpie and hybrid pro are better suited.

Reactions: strangelove
Never tried to spear fish with them, but for diving safety, surface swimming and rocky entry and exits, you'll hardly even notice the extra length after you get used to the new kick. They aren't as fragile as some divers think. On the other hand, if you don't dive to 40 meters or so, there is very little advantage over the 30's and 40's.
Aloha
Bill

Reactions: fuzz
I dont know specifically about the C4's but i have been using the sporasub pure carbon fins for spearfishing for the last two years. I think that they are the longest fin available, they are definately longer that a friends C4's. I dont have any problems with them, and dive in lots of areas which might be viewed as confined, piers and wrecks etc. I think that if you do go with the c4's that you will get used to them very quickly. I have in the past used the omersub tuna fin and the longer lighter Sporasub are so much better that there is no comparision.

Hello Remi,
I am using Waterway 4 and like you C 80 will be the first blade I'll buy.

Thanks guys for your help

Bill
At the moment My PB is 40m with my plastic fins, I hope I'll freedive deeper next summer, so 80s should start to be an advantage. I am hopping they should be quite good for dynamic as well. I don't plan to spearfish deeper than 40m however, not yet at least, so they might not be an advantage for spearing, but if they are as good as the 30s in the 20-35 range, that is enough for me, as this will not be there main use. I was mainly concerned about there size and the difficulty to place your legs on an aspeto. But it looks like it can't be so bad.

...and more specifically: the word aspetto means "waiting" and in facts you take a static motionless position, preferably hiding behind kelp or rocks, and just wait for fish to come within your shooting range.

Last edited:
Long fins annoy me in aspetto because it makes it difficult to get into position when you "land" and also letting your legs and fins fall between rocks on the bottom. Also when changing position in aspetto is always harder and noisier to move your legs. I made switch from Gara 200hf to Gara 3000 and 3-4cm difference was enough to cause me these problems. Im beggining to think that relatively shorter and wider blades like specialfins kelpie and hybrid pro are better suited.

I could not agree more with this post, the main reason I bought the special fin hybrid instead of the C4 or Omer rekord. The longer the fins you are more likely to touch the rocks down the bottom and waste a dive.

Agreed, I try and plan my dive (if I can) so that I can get into position without that happening. I find that it's the trying to get settled into position the time when you are most likely to screw the dive up. So if I can glide straight into that ideal lie all the better.

Spaghetti

I've always wonder about those ankle weights, even though I've never tried them I was always against them, the reason being I think having weights on your foot does not seems to be a good idea to me since they are moving and that could cause more fatigue on my legs. Just like good running shoes are light running shoes (That is my line of thought even though I've have never tried ankle weights).

BTW what fins are you using these days ?

Tomorrow is my first dive in Alaska finally warm enough !

Spaghetti

I've always wonder about those ankle weights, even though I've never tried them I was always against them, the reason being I think having weights on your foot does not seems to be a good idea to me since they are moving and that could cause more fatigue on my legs. Just like good running shoes are light running shoes (That is my line of thought even though I've have never tried ankle weights).

BTW what fins are you using these days ?

Tomorrow is my first dive in Alaska finally warm enough !

Well my ankle weights are only 500 grams per foot: just enough to turn the buoyancy balance of your feet to be slightly negative, and prevent your fins to wave like a flag while you're motionless in aspetto. Believe me, 500 grams are not enough for feeling a signficant fatigue, but yet enough for a better balance.
BTW- who me? After my Rekords have been stolen I'm still using the Omer Millenniums and looking around. Candidate #1 is the Topsub Raptor (all carbon short blades, price around 180 euro's: sounds like a good deal but I don't know anybody who actually tried them).
--
Enjoy your warm Alaskan waters, mate! :)

I use 500gm ankle weights too, I don't notice them at all when I'm diving and I do long days and swim a fair distance. To be honest I would like a bit more, I was thinking of wrapping a strip of lead around my ankles just to see how say 750gms feels. I'm also going to try a back weight in the next couple of weeks to get my whole body balance right. I find when my chest is buoyant it tends to throw my whole body off balance causing me to readjust half way through the dive sometimes. It is during this excessive upper body floating moments (when diving shallow) that I find my legs getting out of control

I use 500gm ankle weights too, I don't notice them at all when I'm diving and I do long days and swim a fair distance. To be honest I would like a bit more, I was thinking of wrapping a strip of lead around my ankles just to see how say 750gms feels. I'm also going to try a back weight in the next couple of weeks to get my whole body balance right. I find when my chest is buoyant it tends to throw my whole body off balance causing me to readjust half way through the dive sometimes. It is during this excessive upper body floating moments (when diving shallow) that I find my legs getting out of control

I recommend the Seatec 3kg backpack (also available in nice camo). I'm using it and I say go get it. It's probably available in the UK from dave's store.
And now, back on fins....what's the final word about C4 80's for spearfishing?

I could not agree more with this post, the main reason I bought the special fin hybrid instead of the C4 or Omer rekord. The longer the fins you are more likely to touch the rocks down the bottom and waste a dive.

i use omer rekords. The length was never an issue. I also own hards special hybrids.

A great fin that is a shortened long blade is the Imersion E:AZUR (funny name :) ).

As opposed to the 78cm length that most long blades average, the E:AZUR is 68cm in length.

Jim

:)

Attachments

• Imersion AZUR.JPG
    Imersion AZUR.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 128
A great fin that is a shortened long blade is the Imersion E:AZUR (funny name :) ).

As opposed to the 78cm length that most long blades average, the E:AZUR is 68cm in length.

Jim

:)

ok, Jim: add to the cart! :)
what's the material? Polypropilene of glass fiber?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT