• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 43,000+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 510,000+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,450+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Are there any fish you won't shoot?

DiveHacker

Jun 17, 2020
Bangkok
I get your point. You (in the general sense) are just a grain of sand in the desert. An ant in the giant nest. What possibly could you do that would impact the world? The actions of a single person are too insignificant to measure, unless of course we're talking about individuals like Trump or Thunberg. But you and me? We can only live our lives, preferably in the way society expects it from us. Drive your car, do your job, don't think and definitely don't try to change anything.

That it is stupide to outlaw something on micro level while it is legally done on industrial scale I wholeheartedly agree (still doesn't mean that you should do it too simply because they are). But on this we can have exactly this same discussion. Would you try to do anything to change that law? I mean, as a single person your voice won't be heard, so why not just give up?
You always have to factor in, if you don't shoot a fish, you (presumably) have to drive to the store, buy some hamburger meat that was grown on a chopped down piece of rainforest....

I find spearos to be extremely conscientious, as you all know. It is such a shame there is such a disconnect between the reality and what is perceived. I generally get the idea here in Thailand it is perfectly ok to eat a pork dinner produced by slamming a pig over the head with a hammer. But for some odd reason it is somehow violent to spear a fish. Anyway, in an ideal world I hope the perception comes closer to the reality.

Johny Depth

Sep 27, 2020
italy
Death in a box! birds eye ,Man in a box !a funeral,Every sub has his Candy on Saturday or Sunday! a fish with out a prayer for always finding one of us their,.im glad im not a Fish

rieses

Oct 29, 2020
BATTLE GROUND, WA
good discussion.
as a big game hunter first i understand the same dilema of shoot or not shoot.
sometimes choosing to eat a tag rather than harvest something that does not fit my goals for that hunt.
as a new spearo i find that i want to shoot plenty of fish as i learn to the hang of it and decide what i want to eat and pursue.
As i get more experience i will be more specific and target either certain species and or size or only shoot when i develop a specific method.
ultimately we all get to decide what is acceptable for us individually to shed blood for the food it provides and the challenge of the hunt.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Sunny Britain
I saw a documentary a while back which showed a new "trawler" being built, in Scotland or northern England. Didn't look that big. I was shocked to hear it would be capable of landing up to 4 tons of mackerel in a single net full - what on earth are theythinking! $$$$££££ Not sustainability for sure. By my reckoning, the entire catch for all the spearos in the UK put together will be but a fraction of that one net full in an entire year. Hard to feel sympathy for commercial fisherman when they have fished their quarry and themselves out of business several times in the past, both here in GB and abroad.

If that were not bad enough:

DivingNomad

Sep 21, 2015
USA
I saw a documentary a while back which showed a new "trawler" being built, in Scotland or northern England. Didn't look that big. I was shocked to hear it would be capable of landing up to 4 tons of mackerel in a single net full - what on earth are theythinking! $$$$££££ Not sustainability for sure. By my reckoning, the entire catch for all the spearos in the UK put together will be but a fraction of that one net full in an entire year. Hard to feel sympathy for commercial fisherman when they have fished their quarry and themselves out of business several times in the past, both here in GB and abroad.

If that were not bad enough:
And some locales worry about spearos spearing at night or using a flashlight while spearing, give me a break...

snask

Sep 25, 2020
Sweden / Adriatic
Some off limits are octopus, cuttlefish, flying turbot, torpedo torpedo, boxfish, porcupine, Angel, rays, manta. Way to cool and beautiful species. I like to play with octopus, unfortunately far to easy to catch poor things. I feel they are far more intelligent than fish.

Reactions: Johny Depth

Kodama

Jun 20, 2016
Belgium - California
www.eastwind.be
I worry about anyone who doesn't put sustainability as a top priority.

If sustainability is your top priority how can you spearfishing at all? Or eat meat for that matter?

I am all in favor of sustainability but we shouldn’t fool ourselves. The impact of spearos depends on the location you are hunting and the health of that eco system. Some places our impact will be significant in other places negligible.
Being aware of the vulnerability of large groupers and the potential impact on the reef i still harvest them! Yes indeed consciously and occasionally.

Let us unite and self regulate based on science not opinion.
You can make a difference by forming local interest groups and discuss, argue for proper regulations.

I certainly hope that industrial fishing will be restricted more. Imagine how mich more fish there would be for all of us. Targeting spearos and making us look like villains is not doing anything for fish.

• Love
Reactions: DivingNomad

DiveHacker

Jun 17, 2020
Bangkok
I get the impression in the Mediterranean spearfishing is like what baseball is for Americans. It does seem like spearos do have a major impact.

I have gone ten years in the past in California shores without ever seeing a single spearo. Probably not common nowadays, but sometimes I wonder if people even know how unpopular spearfishing has been even just 10 years ago.

But anyway, I think even if you are "impacting" the environment, it is impactful in a positive way. There is a big difference between large commercial fishing operations, and a single guy coming home with two fish to feed his family twice a week in my opinion. One is just simply much more natural, eloquent and "buffered", while the other is the real culprit we should focus on. What governments should do if they really want sustainability is actually encourage people to catch their own fish through deregulation. You have to go buy an expensive license every time you want to catch a fish in California. It is absolutely insane. Even if we assume spearos are completely pillaging fish populations, I would argue it is a very good use of the resource.

What actually happens is the opposite of course. The corporations have money so they get the leniency. The individuals who would, without a doubt, only be helping the overall environment and sustainability are discouraged and regulated to a greater extent many times. It is almost exactly like the classic example in all the US textbooks of the American Indians hunting buffalo. It was only until the "corporations" showed up when the problems begin.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2020 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Spearfishing and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT